Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, the answer is "maybe."

I think the biggest impediment would be getting our SOC low enough. The car's at 80% right now, and most of our highways max out at 55 MPH, so I would need to drive around in circles for almost 3 hours to get it down to 10%.

Maybe it's time for a quick jaunt to the beach for lunch. :)

Or turn on the cabin heater while you're at work and let it chip away at the battery for a few hours.

I got 20.2.1 a couple days ago for my SR+. I’ll try to head to the nearest v2 supercharger at <10% charge next week using ORBW to see if the charge rate is any better. This will be my first SC session (using referral miles).

Unfortunately, the nearest supercharger is typically very busy. We’ll see.

What is the best way to data log the charge rate/miles/SOC/etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
I got 20.2.1 a couple days ago for my SR+. I’ll try to head to the nearest v2 supercharger at <10% charge next week using ORBW to see if the charge rate is any better. This will be my first SC session (using referral miles).

Unfortunately, the nearest supercharger is typically very busy. We’ll see.

Try to go after dark when it's cool and utilization is lower.

Video helps as it'll go quickly. Set charging display to show % SoC. You could turn off HVAC, but I don't expect that will matter with an SR+ as the V2 Supercharger should have enough overhead to simultaneously supply the car's HVAC and charge the battery. I'd be interested in %SoC and kW. Upload a video if that's easy or just post the data.

The black dotted line is what I'm expecting from an SR+ on 19.20.2.1. It should ramp quickly to ~105kW and maintain than until just under 50%. The taper should be 100kW at 50%, 80kw at 60%, 60kW at 70% and 40kW at 80%, or at least get close to these numbers. There's also a good chance the plateau will be capped at 102kW, not 105kW.

20190622 3SR+ chrg.png

My predicted SR+ taper is pretty easy to remember. Just subtract the current SoC from 100% and double it. For example, the charge power at 75% should be 50kW -> (100-75) * 2. At 60% it should be 80kW.
“Power is double the remaining SoC”

This goes the other way to, of course. Divide the power in half and subtract it from 100. 40kW should be seen at 80% SoC.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Legen---dary
Why can the Sr+ only hit 102 max while the long range maxes at 250? If the SR+ has about 66% of the long range shouldn't the SR get closer to 166 KW? Is Tesla intentionally limiting the charging speeds? Ideally they would let it max out as much as possible for a faster turn around at the super chargers.

Why can the Sr+ only hit 102 max while the long range maxes at 250? If the SR+ has about 66% of the long range shouldn't the SR get closer to 166 KW? Is Tesla intentionally limiting the charging speeds? Ideally they would let it max out as much as possible for a faster turn around at the super chargers.
I'm just glad it reaches 102-104 kW, peak charging rate. As it is, the A/C comes on at the end of of the 102-104 kW period. As the charge tapers down, the A/C soon returns to more 'normal' levels.

Bob Wilson

The MR and SR+ charging profiles are currently charging at the same C-rate as the LR cars on a 150kW Supercharger. While all LR cars on 19.20.1+ can go to Fremont and charge at 250kW, I think they consider those V3 rates still in testing. If they rolled out the similar profiles on SR+ cars, they could experience almost the same high c-rates on a V2 stall as the LR cars experience at V3. I do expect they'll roll these higher rates out to MR and SR cars, I just don't know when.