Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curiosity: If I recall correctly from the myriad posts, Supercharging speed is harder on the battery than a slower L2 charge. Would increasing the SC charge speed exacerbate the issue?

Granted, I've only used an SC once in 4,500 miles (probably won't use up my free 1,000 miles before they expire).

Curiosity: If I recall correctly from the myriad posts, Supercharging speed is harder on the battery than a slower L2 charge. Would increasing the SC charge speed exacerbate the issue?

Granted, I've only used an SC once in 4,500 miles (probably won't use up my free 1,000 miles before they expire).

Yes. A 3rd party Chademo 50kW DC "fast charging" would be more gentle on the battery compared to supercharging.

BUT

Tesla has already "approved" the LR Model 3 for faster supercharging and this increase for the SR/SR+ will just bring it in line with the same speed, relative to battery size, that the LR can do. One would assume that means Tesla has a good year+ worth of data from supercharging sessions on that LR battery. It may have been a factor to separate the two vehicles at the point of sale from the get go rather then a hardware limiting issue. There's no reason to believe this faster supercharger rate is any more harmful on the battery than what the LR RWD and AWD Model 3's have had since rolling out of the factory.

Reactions: Kevy Baby

This question could open a can of worms.

In short, yes it increases wear (anything that increases heat will), however, by a very negligible amount, especially for your frequency.

Greentheonly is confirming from Twitter the updates to Supercharging power for SR, SR+ and MR as expected:

28EC64E6-16E2-412E-B547-3F6BE379FF2B.jpeg

yeah but wasn't sure about software locks again.
I really don't think that Tesla would put artificial software locks on Supercharger charging rates because that would reduce the maximum number of cars that each Supercharger could handle. From a Tesla logistics standpoint, I'm sure that they want each supercharger to charge each car at the maximum rate that is safe for it to do so.

I really don't think that Tesla would put artificial software locks on Supercharger charging rates because that would reduce the maximum number of cars that each Supercharger could handle. From a Tesla logistics standpoint, I'm sure that they want each supercharger to charge each car at the maximum rate that is safe for it to do so.

SR/SR+ is currently software locked to 100kW. Based on cell number and pack size everyone here estimated that we should be able to do like 160 to 180kW to be in line with the LR cars. Tesla right now is releasing an update that gets us to 170kW, basically spot on with that we estimated the pack could handle...

SR/SR+ is currently software locked to 100kW. Based on cell number and pack size everyone here estimated that we should be able to do like 160 to 180kW to be in line with the LR cars. Tesla right now is releasing an update that gets us to 170kW, basically spot on with that we estimated the pack could handle...
That is why I said "artificial". I think that the charging rate was previously limited to 100kW because Tesla hadn't finished testing the smaller battery packs at higher charge rates, and was conservative with its initial configurations. This is different from the SR car which has a more limited range than an SR+ due to Tesla limiting it for marketing reasons rather than any physical capability limitation.

That is why I said "artificial". I think that the charging rate was previously limited to 100kW because Tesla hadn't finished testing the smaller battery packs at higher charge rates, and was conservative with its initial configurations. This is different from the SR car which has a more limited range than an SR+ due to Tesla limiting it for marketing reasons rather than any physical capability limitation.

That could be, but the cells and packs are basically identical except for the size. It’s hard to believe Tesla wasn’t confident enough in the charge rate of the smaller pack, especially on current V2 stations that would max at ~140kW.

I actually think it was another factor to drive sales of the larger packs.

I have an SR+ on 2019.40.2.1 and went to the chargers in Oshkosh WI today, hoping to see an improved charge rate. The battery was preconditioned before plugging in, the SoC was at 34% and ambient temperature was about 38 F.

Peak charge rate was 101 kW. I needed to get to take care of business while the car was charging, so I didn’t watch it much afterwards. Is this expected?

just got the 40.50.1 update and had to do a SC run today.

I don't think I ever got a charge speed this fast before! this is at shoreline, mtn view.

View attachment 492646

That’s not really very fast, but it’s probably because of your state of charge. If you hit the supercharger when you’re lower (15 to 20%) and ideal conditions (warm battery) you should see at least 100kW but potentially up to about 140kW now.

That’s not really very fast, but it’s probably because of your state of charge. If you hit the supercharger when you’re lower (15 to 20%) and ideal conditions (warm battery) you should see at least 100kW but potentially up to about 140kW now.

I'm not used to speaking in kw, yet; but I am used to how many 'virtual' miles per hour the display shows when I SC.

its been up to 120's or so, when I'm not sharing a pair of SCs. today, I was not sharing, either, of course, but the figure went well over 200 and that surprised me. my soc was about what it shows on that photo, when I started. in the past, I've let it go lower before I run to the SC, and still, nothing close to today's speed.

I'm not used to speaking in kw, yet; but I am used to how many 'virtual' miles per hour the display shows when I SC.

its been up to 120's or so, when I'm not sharing a pair of SCs. today, I was not sharing, either, of course, but the figure went well over 200 and that surprised me. my soc was about what it shows on that photo, when I started. in the past, I've let it go lower before I run to the SC, and still, nothing close to today's speed.

That’s a little odd, you should be able to get 400-600 miles per hour at the peak. (Mostly below 50% charged)

im hoping someone posts an update trying out the 170kw charging soon!
Well it can’t be breaking news anymore but I got 169kw on my Sr+ at v3 supercharger in Abbotsford bc last week. Started charge at 6% And it got up to 169 in less than 2 minutes. However by 14% it began the taper, dropping below 169 steadily.
In comparison to v2 chargers it was barely noticeable difference to my schedule charging from 6 to 61% in 15 mins On v3, compared to a day earlier on a v2 station charging from 9 to 58% in 15 minutes, which peaked at 145kw.
ABA95C83-E70E-4A01-8E93-DB7A1F9F86F8.jpeg

Well it can’t be breaking news anymore but I got 169kw on my Sr+ at v3 supercharger in Abbotsford bc last week. Started charge at 6% And it got up to 169 in less than 2 minutes. However by 14% it began the taper, dropping below 169 steadily.
In comparison to v2 chargers it was barely noticeable difference to my schedule charging from 6 to 61% in 15 mins On v3, compared to a day earlier on a v2 station charging from 9 to 58% in 15 minutes, which peaked at 145kw.
View attachment 542589
That’s peak. Tesla even lists the rate on their site as 170kW.

It's more helpful to look at the 10-80% time rather than the peak charging power.

Another good comparison is time taken to do 1000km. A Better Route Planner is another interesting tool for comparing journeys you might want to make.

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster

So you got 6% more charge in the same time, which is ~12% faster. (That seems noticeable to me.)

Last edited: