Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stanphyl Capital and Mark Spiegel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is podcast on youtube from few days ago i didn't listen to it, because it is two hours long. but in description it says that 20% of his portfolio is short Tesla (by means of shorting stock and selling calls). So in total position size is about 1,2 million. If his fund size is 6 million like it was posted here before.
He must have the highest media presence/$ ratio in the entire investing world. His TSLA investment is peanuts in size.

Reactions: neroden
Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter

Mark Spiegel writes letter to PWC regarding items of concern for 2018 audit. Gets response, they will take his concerns seriously.

This guy has no life.

It's actually the first intelligent thing I've seen him do. He must be pretty desperate to take that much care and time. But his specific complaints I don't think are that big a deal and are likely to not be of a concern to PwC. But we will see.

Reactions: oneday
  • Love
Reactions: dauger and bhzmark
THanks.

The main punch lines:

"For all of 2019 the fund was down 6.5% while the S&P 500 was up 31.5% and the Russell 2000 was up 25.5%.Since inception on June 1, 2011 the fund is up 53.7% net while the S&P 500 is up 187.5% and the Russell 2000 is up 121.8%.Since inception the fund has compounded at 5.1% net annually vs.13.1% for the S&P 500and9.7% for the Russell 2000."

"our recent non-TSLA shorts were profitable, as NFLX, SQ, W,NVTA and ROKU were all down since we shorted them; only CVNA wasn’t, so I suppose if anyone wants to hire me to run a short portfolio excluding auto-related businesses connected with securities fraudsters, I’m your man!"

December 2019 is out Dropbox - Stanphyl Capital Letter - December 2019.pdf - Simplify your life

December: -11.4%
And for the year: -6.5%.

Not bad. I expected him to do worse.

THanks.

The main punch lines:

"For all of 2019 the fund was down 6.5% while the S&P 500 was up 31.5% and the Russell 2000 was up 25.5%.Since inception on June 1, 2011 the fund is up 53.7% net while the S&P 500 is up 187.5% and the Russell 2000 is up 121.8%.Since inception the fund has compounded at 5.1% net annually vs.13.1% for the S&P 500and9.7% for the Russell 2000."

"our recent non-TSLA shorts were profitable, as NFLX, SQ, W,NVTA and ROKU were all down since we shorted them; only CVNA wasn’t, so I suppose if anyone wants to hire me to run a short portfolio excluding auto-related businesses connected with securities fraudsters, I’m your man!"

At least he finally realizes he needs another job.

Mark Spiegel further executes on his sell-low and cover-high strategy. https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1216746223350108160?s=20

upload_2020-1-13_10-39-42.png

Last edited:
It's not his money. The worst kind of trader is the one who can't overcome cognitive dissonance and rethink his position. He's too emotional. With everyone else coming around, he still plays the what-aboutism and calls Musk a fraudster, as if that will excuse his performance.
What boggles my mind more than Spiegel's incompetence is the insults and accusations he posts on twitter regarding Elon and Tesla.

Over here in Belgium you could easily get condemned for that and have to pay a hefty fine plus damages.

• Love
Reactions: BornToFly