Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The iPace is very much an SUV in its home UK market. The US definition of an SUV appears to be a fair bit different i.e. much more focused on the UV part. A "station wagon" in the UK is an "estate" which is basically a low riding saloon (sedan) with an extended boot and tailgate e.g. VW Passat Estate, Volvo V90 etc. Anything with a raised, more upright seating stance and a tailgate is an SUV or Crossover here. iPace and Tesla Model X are mid and large sized SUVs respectively here in the UK.

The SUV was born in 1935 in the US. It was called a Suburban, and classed as a station wagon. It was basically a utility vehicle that could haul people and gear through unimproved road and trails. You can't see over the top unless you're really tall.

The first time SUV was classed in the US was actually smaller vehicles with short wheelbases with good ground clearance. Like a Land Rover, a Bronco, a Suzuki Samurai, etc. Jeeps were just called Jeeps, sort of like Coca-Cola, some other brands were called Jeeps as a generic name like the International Harvester Scout. Jeeps and the original class type called SUV were one and the same.

It wasn't until the minivan came along that things began to change. SUV was now applied to people haulers that weren't mini-vans to avoid the stigma of being less 'macho'.

But if an F-Pace or i-Pace is an SUV then what is a Range Rover? A SuperSUV?

Sport Utility Vehicle did not mean Sports Vehicle. It meant a vehicle better suited for use on adventures. Haul a canoe on the roof down a fireroad. Haul dirt bikes into the desert on a trailer. Go camping in the wilderness. Mountain climbing. Go exploring areas where cars cannot reach.

The US is huge, and mostly is empty land, with dirt roads that can be over 100 miles long and require a winch to negotiate certain areas or remove trees that block you.

I wasn't aware there was an 'EV SUV' market. At least not yet. If my family needs were an SUV, the Tesla Model X would not fit. It doesn't tow enough, is limited to 7 seats max but comes with 5, and you would have to worry about crossing a foot deep rocky riverbed or a sand wash perhaps. I haven't done traction tests on Teslas, but a conventional SUV by either lightly holding the brake or buying a cheap E-locker has to spin all 4 tires at the same RPM before it's stuck. With the E-locker any of the 4 tires can apply full peak torque, which is huge. SUVs have massive reduction gears called Low Range. Top speed is like 25mph, so dragging 50,000lb through the dirt is not an issue. Only tire choice limits you.

The Jag isn't an SUV. It's a station wagon. Land Rover makes SUVs.

The question is, how does it handle? Surprisingly, some station wagons are a riot to blast around a track in. One my favs (RIP) was the CTS-V Wagon. I could lap faster in that than the coupe at Spring Mountain.

That's what I'm shopping for. I don't need an 'SUV', but nobody is making a true EV sport sedan/wagon that is actually available yet. While unlikely, it is possible the Jag will be available for me before the Model 3LR will. And it also possible the Jag will be the superior sports car to the Tesla lineup, an area Tesla abandoned.

While the iPace is not a 2+2 coupe, neither is any EV for sale with any credentials. The market is focused on family pavement cars and ecoboxes, some with brisk straight line acceleration, but just simply family cars.

Oddly enough the iPace is outlined in the #1 selling form factor. The Fake SUV (CUV, Cross-over, cross-dresser, 'not-a-wagon', etc) rules the roost today.

So from a marketing perspective Jag might be the first to 'get it right' from the go. People crave 5 seat station wagons err... SUVs.

The X and the I-Pace are listed by the DOT and every insurance agency as either a CUV or CUV/SUV. I wasn't agreeing they are insert acronym, I am just using the term that they are officially labeled.

The X and the I-Pace are listed by the DOT and every insurance agency as either a CUV or CUV/SUV. I wasn't agreeing they are insert acronym, I am just using the term that they are officially labeled.

It's just a sign of the times. Marketing determines the definitions. Most folk do not want truck-chassis off-road 4x4 SUV. They want a sedan with a bigger trunk and more headroom in the back seats. Even in the US, the large SUV is falling out of fashion for the average buyer.

It's just a sign of the times. Marketing determines the definitions. Most folk do not want truck-chassis off-road 4x4 SUV. They want a sedan with a bigger trunk and more headroom in the back seats. Even in the US, the large SUV is falling out of fashion for the average buyer.

I can see that. I came from a Ford Raptor and had the Gen 1 version before that. I had a bit of hesitation if you will or truck anxiety that I A. wouldn't have enough room for storage, legs, head room etc and B. could the X handle even the slightest off road situation.

The X I took home for the night helped with A. and it handled some pretty descent sand so B was kind of answered.

Last edited:
I just passed a $3.07/gal gas station this morning (in my 90% charged EV)... If that keeps up, the fall will continue (at least for a while).
I just filled up my Prius today here in Switzerland at 1.75 CHF/litre which is about $6.60/gal. I payed around $70.

Every time I go to the gas station, I say to myself that this is one of the last times I will have to do this (expecting delivery of my MX in about 6 weeks!)

I just filled up my Prius today here in Switzerland at 1.75 CHF/litre which is about $6.60/gal. I payed around $70.

Every time I go to the gas station, I say to myself that this is one of the last times I will have to do this (expecting delivery of my MX in about 6 weeks!)

God fuel is expensive in Europe. I did quit e a bit of time overseas and anytime I did R&R I hated paying for fuel off base lol.

I wasn't aware there was an 'EV SUV' market. At least not yet. If my family needs were an SUV, the Tesla Model X would not fit. It doesn't tow enough, is limited to 7 seats max but comes with 5,

2 or 3 SUVs in the market seat more than five - and NONE of them are compare to the X in any way as a complete package.

More than 5 seating is replacing Minivan territory which I did.

Model X replaced both Audi Q5 (RIP) and a Honda Odyssey (RIP)

2 or 3 SUVs in the market seat more than five - and NONE of them are compare to the X in any way as a complete package.

More than 5 seating is replacing Minivan territory which I did.

Model X replaced both Audi Q5 (RIP) and a Honda Odyssey (RIP)

Just off the top of my head (ignoring 7 seats or less):

9 - Suburban
8 - Traverse
8 - Tahoe (RST = 5.8 sec to 60mph, 14.2 sec 1/4 mile ET, stops in 133 feet, tows heavy).
8 - Escalade
8 - Escalade ESV (long wheelbase)
8 - Yukon
8 - Yukon XL (long wheelbase)
15 - Express Van - full sized adults, can accommodate more people but only 15 seat belts.

I imagine there are dozens more.

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head (ignoring 7 seats or less):

9 - Suburban
8 - Traverse
8 - Tahoe (RST = 5.8 sec to 60mph, 14.2 sec 1/4 mile ET, stops in 133 feet, tows heavy).
8 - Escalade
8 - Escalade ESV (long wheelbase)
8 - Yukon
8 - Yukon XL (long wheelbase)
15 - Express Van - full sized adults, can accommodate more people but only 15 seat belts.

I imagine there are dozens more.

Would not say dozens but the key missed car would be a Toyota Highlander.

Would not say dozens but the key missed car would be a Toyota Highlander.

Toyota makes 3 SUVs that should seat 8, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Highlander. The Land Cruiser and Sequoia are among the dirtiest large SUVs made today.

Compare Side-by-Side

Note: Both the Tahoe and Escalade in the example have the optional high performance version V8; Corvette derived 420HP engines, far more powerful than the Toyotas, but >20% better mileage. While the EPA notice says Premium, the engine runs fine on regular, they just limit the power to Toyota levels. The reason Toyota must sell Priuses in the US is because their pickups and large SUV's are extremely thirsty.

If you want slow, and you want dirty, look no further than Toyota.

I think they are still CCS charging at 50, has there gone up in the UK?

Yep all 1,030 CCS chargers in the UK (it's gone up by 80 since I last posted) are 50kW.
(UK Supercharger network is currently 243 chargers at just over 40 locations).

350kW CCS started European roll-out last November (first four public chargers were installed by Allego, who plan to add a further 25 350kW locations) and in the USA just last month (by Electrify America [EA])
EA will roll-out 483 more US locations (~2,600 chargepoints) across the USA over the next 18 months, with a mix of 150 kW and 350kW stations (with ChadeMo able to use the 150kW chargers, but only at 50kW)

150kW roll-out is happening this year in the UK (no specific figures and timescales available yet afaict). The sustained rate of 80 new chargers a month for over a year suggests it'll happen at a decent rate.

For the USA, it looks like CCS is currently 4 years behind Supercharger, and will be 2 years behind Supercharger in 12 months, and 1 year behind Supercharger in 18 months (taking the next 18 month's of Supercharger roll-outs into account).

Are dc/dc charging all depended on the charger? Car doesn’t need to be upgraded?

The charger has limits, the connector has limits, the car has limits. The lowest limit determines your maximum charge rate.

The data presented by Jaguar suggests that the iPace should be capable of a higher rate than most currently available chargers are, but not as high a rate as the fastest advertised future CCS installations.

Are dc/dc charging all depended on the charger? Car doesn’t need to be upgraded?
The i-Pace definitely does 100kW from day one (40-45mins for 0% to 80% with 100kW CCS). Due to the fact that 150kW & 350kW CCS charger roll-out is only getting going, Jaguar have tended in the main to talk about the 50kW charge time so far.
There is some vagueness as to whether the car currently currently tops out at 150kW, or whether it's currently 120kW with 150kW arriving later this year.

The battery pack will top out at 198kW when using a 350kW charger, but I haven't heard anything official about plans to take the charging electronics that high.

Toyota makes 3 SUVs that should seat 8, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Highlander. The Land Cruiser and Sequoia are among the dirtiest large SUVs made today.

Compare Side-by-Side

Note: Both the Tahoe and Escalade in the example have the optional high performance version V8; Corvette derived 420HP engines, far more powerful than the Toyotas, but >20% better mileage. While the EPA notice says Premium, the engine runs fine on regular, they just limit the power to Toyota levels. The reason Toyota must sell Priuses in the US is because their pickups and large SUV's are extremely thirsty.

If you want slow, and you want dirty, look no further than Toyota.
A Highlander carrying 8 people? I drove a Highlander hybrid for 12 years - you had better be transporting pretty small children to get 8 in that car! The 3rd row was best suited for a boy & a small dog!

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
A Highlander carrying 8 people? I drove a Highlander hybrid for 12 years - you had better be transporting pretty small children to get 8 in that car! The 3rd row was best suited for a boy & a small dog!

I wasn't the one who classified the Highlander. The Land Cruiser and Sequoia are what I think of as an 8 seater if outfitted that way.

Full disclosure: I have friends and family that work for Jaguar..

However I’ve ordered a Model S 75D. I do actually work in an area with great public charger coverage (Milton Keynes) too .. so this was becoming a close run thing. Now I haven’t yet driven the iPace though by all accounts, it’s a cracking thing to point down British roads. I like the Formula-e marketing, I like the brand.. yeah this was difficult!

I’ve put my choice of Tesla to three factors:
1. I love the way it drives
2. Free Supercharger
3. I can actually buy the Tesla now

The MS is a fantastic drive especially out in the sticks where I live. The supercharging also helps balance the upfront cost - I’ve been getting through £300/month on fossil-juice these days.

There’ll be loads of i-Paces around here to compare with- the coming months will be fun .

The Model X and the Jaguar i-Pace side by side :)

upload_2018-6-5_14-29-58.png

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
But if an F-Pace or i-Pace is an SUV then what is a Range Rover? A SuperSUV?

F-Pace is a medium sized SUV, Range Rover a large SUV. We keep it simple in the UK, lol. Hardly anyone over here goes off-road in these expensive luxury cars, so it's kind of irrelevant. But people tend to like the higher driving position and more practical interior space. For extensive off-road use you typically buy a Defender or an older Discovery or Range Rover.

The term "crossover or CUV" is gaining in popularity over here and the iPace fits that description too. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's a fairly high riding vehicle that can do serious off-roading if you really want. That's what differentiates it from a conventional estate or station wagon as you would say over there. Most will be simply used as daily family haulers, whether it be on the school run, commuting or longer holiday trips. Most will rarely ever see a dirt track!