Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 55MPG in my Honda CRX back in the 90's.

Of course, it had 2 seats, 3 cylinders, and about 5 lb-ft of torque lol, but it got the job done.
Maybe once going downhill with a tail wind. I had a CRX and daily driving mixed city/highway it was more like ~30mpg.

Also back then gas didn’t have EtOH so whatever you were driving back them would do 10-20% worse these days.

Which will I receive first?

1. Cybertruck that I preordered the day after the unveiling (November 2019)

-or-

2. Rivian R1S that I ordered in May 2022 which puts me behind all of the preorders from November 2019 - April 2022

-or-

3. The Cybertruck is vaporware so I'll never get it, and Rivian will go bankrupt before ever delivering my R1S

Reactions: TessP100D
My lifted 4x4 Canyon diesel on AT tires has a lifetime average of just over 27.5 mpg. At 5 years old with 94k miles that means I've averaged about 1567 miles/ month. That's 57 gallons of diesel/ month which even at today's high prices, isn't much for such a capable vehicle. The fuel bill is about 25% of the payment on a new EV after-all.

Once you get over 25mpg, most people aren't spending that much on fuel. No one needs a 70 mpg vehicle if it's at great expense over say a 40 mpg getting vehicle as the fuel costs are already so low.

My favorite to drive high mpg vehicle was my wife's '14 Chevy Cruze diesel. Total kick in the pants torque while comfortably returning low 40s every tank, and nearly 50 mpg on road trips.

Reactions: FLRifleman
My lifted 4x4 Canyon diesel on AT tires has a lifetime average of just over 27.5 mpg. At 5 years old with 94k miles that means I've averaged about 1567 miles/ month. That's 57 gallons of diesel/ month which even at today's high prices, isn't much for such a capable vehicle. The fuel bill is about 25% of the payment on a new EV after-all.

Once you get over 25mpg, most people aren't spending that much on fuel. No one needs a 70 mpg vehicle if it's at great expense over say a 40 mpg getting vehicle as the fuel costs are already so low.

My favorite to drive high mpg vehicle was my wife's '14 Chevy Cruze diesel. Total kick in the pants torque while comfortably returning low 40s every tank, and nearly 50 mpg on road trips.
But if you were going to have a car payment on a new car anyway wouldn't you want it to be as efficient as possible?

Reactions: Suns_PSD
My family also had a 91 CRX HF that got 52mpg regularly.
I had a 1990 CRX si (105 hp?) I got 50-60 mpg in mine when I drove from my house (~7500’) to Carson city (4800’). Then would get 20mpg on the way home. The other week I got 12.5 mpg towing my camper 60 miles down turnagain with a 50-60 mph tail wind. My normal mpg on this run is 9.5 mpg but with a head wind I’ve seen as low as 7.1 mpg.

If you cherry pick trips all vehicles can get great MPG.

Heck in my Tesla driving from my house at ~2300’ to work ~250’ I can get as low as ~50 Wh/mi. I then get 500 Wh/mi on the trip home.

I had a 1990 CRX si (105 hp?) I got 50-60 mpg in mine when I drove from my house (~7500’) to Carson city (4800’). Then would get 20mpg on the way home. The other week I got 12.5 mpg towing my camper 60 miles down turnagain with a 50-60 mph tail wind. My normal mpg on this run is 9.5 mpg but with a head wind I’ve seen as low as 7.1 mpg.

If you cherry pick trips all vehicles can get great MPG.

Heck in my Tesla driving from my house at ~2300’ to work ~250’ I can get as low as ~50 Wh/mi. I then get 500 Wh/mi on the trip home.
That's why I don't cherry pick data. My stats are averages per tank. It's fairly flat around here around 900ft elevation. Mpg that I have achieved over the years has been consistent between tanks without the few outliers.

That's why EVs make more sense. Why have 2 systems when you can have one super efficient system.
I’ve been preaching that for years. Hybrids never made sense to me because you have 2 completely separate systems that have to be engineered and maintained. It makes sense in railroad engines but that’s a pretty special case and they aren’t constrained by size or weight.

Forget the Vaporware theory. Seems that Tesla has ordered the largest Giga casting machine from Italy to produce the structured of the Cybertruck.

This, plus needing to get 4680 cells up to volume production means that the Cybertruck is going to most likely be even better than originally envisioned.

Once Texas is in full production, they should be able to pop these out like popcorn.

Which will I receive first?

1. Cybertruck that I preordered the day after the unveiling (November 2019)

-or-

2. Rivian R1S that I ordered in May 2022 which puts me behind all of the preorders from November 2019 - April 2022

-or-

3. The Cybertruck is vaporware so I'll never get it, and Rivian will go bankrupt before ever delivering my R1S
3! I vot 3! Gotta be 3!

But maybe 4. Cybertruk after Rivian goes bankrupt.

• Funny
Reactions: Fleetwood75
But if you were going to have a car payment on a new car anyway wouldn't you want it to be as efficient as possible?

For sure and I don't mean to go off in the weeds.

Just pointing out that spending an extra $20K to go EV (assuming purchasing a new vehicle either way), is in fact a huge money loser because fuel in reality doesn't cost that much unless you purchase ICE vehicles far more capable and thirsty than you need. Buy the EV cause you like it.

For sure and I don't mean to go off in the weeds.

Just pointing out that spending an extra $20K to go EV (assuming purchasing a new vehicle either way), is in fact a huge money loser because fuel in reality doesn't cost that much unless you purchase ICE vehicles far more capable and thirsty than you need. Buy the EV cause you like it.
Buy an EV if it can do what you need it to do and if it's cost effective for you.

I was thinking about it this AM. We are T almost 3 years from the unveiling and reservations. 3 years and nothing from Tesla, no updates, no progress, nothing.
Musk has said that Tesla is focused on ramping up production on the 3 and Y. This is something from Tesla.
We can probably assume that the Roadster and Cybertruck won't come out until the backlog on those gets under control. Today, there's nearly a 6 month backlog on the Y.
Remember that the batteries for one CT or Roadster can supply two Models 3 or Y. While undesirable for many of us, the greater good will be served by putting more 3s and Ys on road to meet that almost insatiable appetite by the public. Luckily, Berlin and Austin are rapidly ramping up their production. My model Y order date was just accelerated by a month which indicates that Tesla may be feeling more confident that production is increasing, possibly ahead of schedule.

Musk has said that Tesla is focused on ramping up production on the 3 and Y. This is something from Tesla.
We can probably assume that the Roadster and Cybertruck won't come out until the backlog on those gets under control. Today, there's nearly a 6 month backlog on the Y.
Remember that the batteries for one CT or Roadster can supply two Models 3 or Y. While undesirable for many of us, the greater good will be served by putting more 3s and Ys on road to meet that almost insatiable appetite by the public. Luckily, Berlin and Austin are rapidly ramping up their production. My model Y order date was just accelerated by a month which indicates that Tesla may be feeling more confident that production is increasing, possibly ahead of schedule.
There is not a 6 month wait for Model Ys, I've seen people get a MYP in as little as a month recently and that's a whopping $4k more than a LR. Consider that going from 19"->20" wheels adds $2k to the price of a LR and you get 21" wheels with a MYP, really they're the same price with the same wheels!

LR models are probably taking longer because rental companies like Hertz are putting in huge bulk orders and aren't buying Performance variants

Reactions: empiredown