Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to lose faith

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's what you want and can afford it, go and buy it! If it's too much money, I'm sure you'd have the complaint with every car company when looking at how fast prices escalate for the prestige models. Personally, I do well but would never spend that type of cash on a car. a 75D would do very well for me.

The entry level Model S (60 kWh, RWD) stripped with no options now lists for $92,500 in Canada. That is about (maybe a bit more) than I paid for my fully loaded (except 21's and child seats) S85 when I got it. The base model back then was $64,500. It's not just the "prestige" models that are escalating, the base car has risen $28,000 in that time.

That appears to be a 43% increase. What was the dollar at when you ordered your car? Or when you picked it up? Is the 60 now the same car? (Possibly not.)

Not sure exactly, but it was certainly a lot closer to par with the US. The fact is that most other auto makers don't seem to swing so wildly in pricing over the same period of time.

I think the base 60 is pretty much the same except that you can pay for and enable extra features on it that weren't available back in 2012 like Auto Pilot and such.But the base 60 I quoted above does not include those features.

We bought in 2014 before AWD and autopilot as C$ to US $ was still reasonable. We felt that the bottom would soon fall out of the C$ and it did very quickly after we bought.

We do not regret our decision as we love the car we have, an 85S, but today the same car would cost us tens of thousand more, mostly due to exchange rate difference. If we add in AWD and autopilot the cost difference would be even higher.

most other auto makers don't seem to swing so wildly in pricing over the same period of time

The exchange rate difference in a few years is massive.

My friend works for a German automaker and noted that they anti-sell many of the models due to not making the same profit level in Canada as they do in Germany. We talked about the availability of the plug-in cars they sell, and he said they are capped at a sales limit. Only those models that have very high margins are sold in high numbers. Effectively, to compete, these car companies need to "manage" their inventory and stock to ensure they can maintain market share while not losing out too much profit.

Tesla doesn't work this way, they sell the car based on a margin/profit level and change the price to meet that based on exchange rates, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Falkirk
It seems like Model X was underpriced in comparison to the Model S when it was released. The MX offers so much more, it makes sense that it costs more. The real bargain is 100D MX for only $3,000 more than 90D! The extra range is worth every penny.
If you take an S, and then add in the mandatory options that an X comes with (air suspension, glass roof, AWD, 75 pack), the X (5 seater) is only $1,700 more than the S, plus you get power liftgate and FWDs included, not to mention the extra interior space.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Drone Flyer
if you are going to wait a year or 2 you will have some interesting non-tesla options but obviously there are some negatives with that. Rumors of a hyundai 2018 suv electric for example. If you require a luxury brand than that changes options too.

The exchange rate difference in a few years is massive.

My friend works for a German automaker and noted that they anti-sell many of the models due to not making the same profit level in Canada as they do in Germany...

One thing I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see was that Chevy Bolt pricing in Canada is actually a bit lower than in the US after the exchange rate is factored in. And no excise tax even though a lot of the car's components come from LG in Korea. Teslas still have the excise tax just because of the Panasonic cells in the battery packs. What's up with that?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Falkirk
One thing I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see was that Chevy Bolt pricing in Canada is actually a bit lower than in the US after the exchange rate is factored in. And no excise tax even though a lot of the car's components come from LG in Korea. Teslas still have the excise tax just because of the Panasonic cells in the battery packs. What's up with that?
I maybe misremembering, but I think we signed a trade deal with Korea a couple of years ago?

The Chevy Bolt was front and center for the Ontario Government announcements recently. The government has financially supported and provided incentives for legacy auto makers to maintain operations in this province, it may be a bit of "payback" for GM to sell the Bolt as a low volume loss leader to keep the money rolling elsewhere in their business. Otherwise, it makes very little financial sense to sell the Bolt cheaper than in the US where it has been claimed to be sold at a loss in order to gain emissions credits.

...not to mention the extra interior space of the X.[/QUOTE]
What? You're joking right ?
The interior space of the Model X is vastly inferior to that of the Model S. You can fit a ton of cargo into a a model S but only about half of that into an X because of the 2nd row non folding seats!
Yes, the X can carry 6 or 7 people comfortably more than the S but for carry space, the S is the winner hands down !

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 9.30.39 PM.png

Comparison of Model X vs Model S Storage Space

From the outside, the Tesla Model X crossover SUV shares similar dimensions and styling cues with the Model S sedan. Both vehicles are just shy of 200 inches in length, and both vehicles have front and rear axles situated on each end of the skateboard style floor-mounted battery, thus sharing similar wheelbase dimensions of 120 in (304.8 cm) for the Model X and a slightly shorter 116.5 (295.9 cm) for the Model S.

Despite the similarities, there’s distinct differences in features and amenities between the electric crossover and sedan that could impact everyday practicality depending on your lifestyle. We’ll be doing a multi-part series comparing select features of the Model X vs Model S, but for the purpose of this post, we’re taking a look at differences in storage space between the two vehicles.

Model X vs Model S Cargo Space
The Model X is a taller and roomier vehicle than the Model S, but when it comes to rear cargo space, the Model S actually has more useable storage space. Here’s why, and it’s quite simple.

The Model S second row seats fold flat leaving for an expansive open space that can store anything from long dresser bureaus to even skis! Pictured above: Model S trunk with full-size folding electric bike and a full set of winter wheels and tires. The Model X on the other hand has third row seating that can also fold flat, but the overall length of storage is constrained by the backs of the second row seats. These seats do not fold down and instead capable of sliding back and forth on the seat’s mono post track in order to maximize trunk space.

One benefit the Model X cargo space has over the Model S is the taller overall height within the trunk. This allows for vertical stacking of cargo as seen in the following video by
JH Photography. They do an excellent job performing a side-by-side comparison of both trunks.

...not to mention the extra interior space of the X.
The interior space of the Model X is vastly inferior to that of the Model S. You can fit a ton of cargo into a a model S but only about half of that into an X because of the 2nd row non folding seats!
Yes, the X can carry 6 or 7 people comfortably more than the S but for carry space, the S is the winner hands down ![/QUOTE]
I was more referring to seating comfort, headroom, and ease of entry/exit. But, the 5 seater X has a ton of cargo room. Also IMO, the windshield is a game changer, my favorite X feature.

Yes, the X can carry 6 or 7 people comfortably more than the S but for carry space, the S is the winner hands down !
I was more referring to seating comfort, headroom, and ease of entry/exit. But, the 5 seater X has a ton of cargo room. Also IMO, the windshield is a game changer, my favorite X feature.[/QUOTE]

I was more referring to seating comfort, headroom, and ease of entry/exit. But, the 5 seater X has a ton of cargo room. Also IMO, the windshield is a game changer, my favorite X feature.
[/QUOTE]
But the S is a much nicer looking car. People always say nice things about mine. The model X, on the other hand is just an ordinary looking car. It doesn't stand out in any way except for the Falcon Wing doors! While the car is in motion, it looks like a KIA Sorento !

But the S is a much nicer looking car. People always say nice things about mine. The model X, on the other hand is just an ordinary looking car. It doesn't stand out in any way except for the Falcon Wing doors! While the car is in motion, it looks like a KIA Sorento ![/QUOTE]
Oh I agree, the exterior of the S is much better looking. But on the inside, the X is better in almost every way.

But the S is a much nicer looking car. People always say nice things about mine. The model X, on the other hand is just an ordinary looking car. It doesn't stand out in any way except for the Falcon Wing doors! While the car is in motion, it looks like a KIA Sorento ![/QUOTE]

Agreed. Not a fan of the exterior design. It's seems (to me anyway just personal opinion) like the X is just a raised up thicker version of the S which visually doesn't tie together as well as the S proportions do. One cannot take a beautifully crafted car and simply raise it higher and call it an SUV. Ie. panamera doesn't look like a cayenne, M5 not like an X5, E class to to GL and so forth. Sporty cars with low roof lines and sport oriented designs cannot be simply replicated taller and called an SUV lol. I've driven an X and enjoy the drive and windshield...but I enjoy the low centre of gravity feeling in the S which gives that 'hug the road stability' feel. Hands down I still get stares every single day and the occasional person walking to my my ocean blue S for a compliment and discussion. Not to mention how much nicer people are in letting me through traffic or merging in...I never get that with my ice vehicle lol.
Either way well done to every X or S owner for taking the plunge and doing one's bit for helping advance the tech :)