Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's literally zero prospects of success in legally disputing the validity of a act of taxation duly passed by parliament. If you are going to fight it, fight it in the electorate.
I’m not convinced that any state government can charge you a consumption tax/levy for activities in another state. Only a federal parliament can successfully enact such legislation. Thats is the only part that I think can be challenged. its comparable to the victorian parliament introducing a law that victorians that own real estate in nsw must pay all victorian state taxes on that interstate real estate.
Normal registration is a fixed fee and it doesnt change if you go interstate.

Of course they can. States used to charge income taxes, for example.
Actually no, they cannot. That was all resolved in the gst legislation so what happened before then is not relevant to law. Thats why your land tax is only for property you own in your state. None-the-less more than happy to hear about a current state tax a state charges for consumption in another state.

The challenge will come about when another state decides to implement the same tax on all EV’s including those visiting, which is more in line with a toll road type charge. You then have double taxation if your car originated from Victoria.

At some point the distribution of ‘petrol tax‘ becomes murky as well. The feds having lost a stack of income will refuse to fund state road projects, whilst the states flush with a new road user tax from EV’s will have wasted it all on more PR teams. Even though petrol tax isnt directly tied to projects, its an easy out for a future federal government.

Last edited:
Of course they can. States used to charge income taxes, for example.
According to this site “Although income taxation powers were surrendered to the Commonwealth in 1942, in theory the States are able to levy income tax. In practice this is unfeasible as Commonwealth funding to States has been contingent on the States not levying income tax”.

I thought a post-war Constitutional amendment formally ended any right the States had to impose their own income taxes. But skimming the Constitution I may have confused that with Section 115 which prohibits the States from issuing their own currencies.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and paulp
There's literally zero prospects of success in legally disputing the validity of a act of taxation duly passed by parliament.
Is that a formal legal view? The Commonwealth insisted RoboDebt was legal, until it was proved that it wasn’t.

Plenty of examples of Parliaments passing laws or issuing Regulations that were later struck out or amended due to being inconsistent with either State or Federal constitutions, or inconsistent with common law, therefore unlawful. Parliament passing a Bill does not automatically mean the resultant Act is beyond challenge. An Act remains ‘legal’ until and unless it is successfully challenged. If it is never challenged, a notionally ‘illegal’ Act will remain ‘legal’.

SA has very high power prices, and although they vary between retailers, it costs around 6c per km to run a model s. That 8.5c with the tax, or $8.50 per 100km.
Havnt run a petrol car in 6 years, can someone highlight what a petrol car costs per km just for petrol?
I understand that the low emission/consumption calculations comes in at 7l/100km
If we take an average fuel cost of $1.50 per litre at that consumption, the cost is $10.50/100Km.
I'm looking at between $400-$500 per year road usage charge.

In NSW existing EVs that paid full stamp duty are being grandfathered out of the 2.5c tax. #ShipOfTheseus #PimpMyTesla!
008AF409-0BBE-4320-84A4-605D1D41C343.png

In NSW existing EVs that paid full stamp duty are being grandfathered out of the 2.5c tax. #ShipOfTheseus #PimpMyTesla!View attachment 675479

Now you see that would have been a useful compromise in Victoria. Announce a New EV User charge tax... Give people a $3000 Discount on the Vehicle Purchase and perhaps even take away the Stamp Duty Charge for them.

Let the small number of owners with existing EV's who have paid Stamp Duty etc on their Cars continue to drive without the EV Tax.
Yet another example of NSW Politicians doing something decent and Victoria ****ing it up.. just like Hotel Quarantine etc.