Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't the case. I know of a purchase from Dec 2021 that Stamp Duty was charged in NSW

I should have been clearer. Stamp duty is currently still charged on BEVs valued over $78,000. Which I suspect would have been the case you are referring to. I referred to ‘eligible’ BEVs in my post, which at present are those under $78k.

This will continue to be the case until 30% of all new sales are zero emission vehicles, at which point stamp duty will not be payable on any zero emission vehicle regardless of price, and be subject to the RUC instead.

No. RWD Model 3 Dec 21 purchase in NSW. Still charged Stamp Duty

Well that is wrong. Tesla might have been slack and not updated their software yet to correctly calculate NSW Stamp duty - which wouldn‘t be the first time their admin has been poor.

The onus is still on the owner to claim the rebate and they will be charged RUC in time regardless of whether they do that or not.

Curious if any of the new deliveries have Stamp Duty exclusive invoices.

If Tesla is invoicing duty on cars with dutiable value under $78k then that is unlawful. The relevant section of the Duties Act 1997 section 270D says:

Exemption for certain zero and low emissions vehicles
(1) Duty under this Chapter is not chargeable on​
(a) an application to register a battery electric vehicle or hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle if​
(i) the application is made between 1 September 2021 and the relevant date, and​
(ii) the vehicle has a dutiable value of not more than $78,000, or​
(b) an application to register a zero or low emissions vehicle made on or after the relevant date.​

The ‘relevant date’ is the date the Minister decrees the 30% sales threshold has been met.

The Office of State Revenue should get in Tesla’s ear and bring them into line.

This letter is to inform you that from 1 July 2022, there will be an increase to the per kilometre amount you pay for the Zero and Low Emission Vehicle (ZLEV) road-user charge.

The increases are as follows:
Electric vehicles (EVs) and hydrogen vehicles (HEVs) – from 2.5 cents per km to 2.6 cents per km
Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles – from 2.0 cents per km to 2.1 cents per km
Only distances travelled after 1 July 2022 will be subject to the new rate.

The increase is in line with that of other Government indexed fees and charges which come into effect on 1 July each year. VicRoads collects the ZLEV road user charge on behalf of the Victorian Government.

This letter is to inform you that from 1 July 2022, there will be an
increase to the per kilometre amount you pay for the Zero and Low
Emission Vehicle (ZLEV) road-user charge.

• Electric vehicles (EVs) and hydrogen vehicles (HEVs) – from 2.5 cents per km to
    2.6 cents per km
  • Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles – from 2.0 cents per km to 2.1 cents per km

The increase is in line with that of other Government indexed fees
and charges which come into effect on 1 July each year. VicRoads
collects the ZLEV road user charge on behalf of the Victorian
Government.

ZLEV registered operators will still receive the $100 annual
registration discount.

Yours sincerely

Director - Customer Service Delivery

Err, how are you going to know what distance I traveled after 1st July? I could have taken a photo of the odometer on 1st July, but you never asked me to do, and I didn't know this would be a thing, so so I didn't.

I have taken a photo today, just to be safe, but it is now the 5th. Wondering if this is too late.

I also have the exact figure teslamate recorded for the date. But most people won't have this. And is just a number in a database, may not actually be sufficient for VicRoads.

This letter is to inform you that from 1 July 2022, there will be an increase to the per kilometre amount you pay for the Zero and Low Emission Vehicle (ZLEV) road-user charge.

Electric vehicles (EVs) and hydrogen vehicles (HEVs) – from 2.5 cents per km to 2.6 cents per km
Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles – from 2.0 cents per km to 2.1 cents per km

The increase is in line with that of other Government indexed fees and charges which come into effect on 1 July each year. VicRoads collects the ZLEV road user charge on behalf of the Victorian Government.

Considering Fuel Excise is a federal tax, I have no idea why Victoria wants to collect a tax for EVs. If it were collected by VicRoads on behalf of the federal government, it might make sense.

It will be a river of gold that the feds can’t take away from them.

Seems the feds have cottoned onto that too.

Albanese government seeks to pull plug on Victoria’s electric vehicle tax

The Albanese government has joined a legal bid to strike down Victoria’s controversial electric vehicle tax, opening up a fight with states over who will control billions of dollars in revenue collected from motorists.

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus filed an intervention in the High Court last week supporting two Victorian motorists who are seeking to have the Andrews government’s electric vehicle levy ruled unconstitutional.