Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Steering Assist Reduced" invoice shock! $3600!

lens42

Jan 9, 2018
SF Bay Area
I have a 2017 Model S 75D, 5 months out of warranty with only 30k miles. it has never been driven even close to aggressively. It even has lived its entire life in "CHILL" mode. After 4 years of zero driving problems, after a few days of sitting in my driveway, I get in and see "Steering assist reduced" (alert EPAS_001) and feel no power steering. It takes a ton of force to turn the wheel.

I man handled it to the dealer, and today I'm informed that it will cost $3600 to repair! Most of that is "STEERING GEAR ASSY, LHD Part #: 1459637-00-A" at about $2800. WTF? How does the steering suddenly break while parked in a manner that requires the replacement of the steering assembly?

Maybe not related (or maybe so), I came across this article referencing a recall of similar Model S cars: Tesla issues its largest recall ever voluntarily over faulty Model S steering. My car was purchased in early January 2017, but is suspiciously close to the period noted in the article.

Has this happened to anyone else. I'm at a complete loss (literally)

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
The steering gear assembly is all replaced as one part, so if the self steering, steering position adjustment motors, or anything goes wrong, it costs a fortune. The steering costs, seat control modules, as well as the door handle/lock mechanism failures is a major reason I will get an extended warranty if I keep the car after factory warranty. Seems they have some very expensive repairs on this car.

lens42

Jan 9, 2018
SF Bay Area
After my rant to Tesla service, they looked a little deeper and found a rodent-chewed wiring harness. $600. No steering replacement. I got the car back today and it is fine. Not a great look for Tesla diagnostics re their first determination, but at least they got it right after some prodding.

y2khd

Dec 29, 2020
Baltimore
After my rant to Tesla service, they looked a little deeper and found a rodent-chewed wiring harness. $600. No steering replacement. I got the car back today and it is fine. Not a great look for Tesla diagnostics re their first determination, but at least they got it right after some prodding.
Unreal...Glad to hear that..

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
I guess you had an actual problem with the rats eating your wiring.

However, i got that error once while driving. I was passing over a split yellow and there was the divots for the reflectors and I apparently hit one in just the right manner and the power steering went out so for 2 hours more drive home i had to drive with no PS. there was noting physically wrong with thee car so i did a brake pedal reboot when i got home with no fix. i then did what i call the super reboot by unplugging the charge cable, disconnecting the 12v neg line, and then the fireman's loop for 10 min and put it back together and it worked flawlessly since and that was like 6+ months ago.

My situation wouldn't work for you since you had actual damage but its something to keep in the back of your mind if something ever cuts out for no logical reason. Glad you got it fixed for a reasonable fee.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC