Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Assist Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think this is a problem I cannot solve externally. I'm very tempted to get off the Beta, as I think Tesla Vision started all this.

I think your line of reasoning about getting the errors due to the system getting bogged down by something is a little much. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I think it is unlikely. I am assuming you have fully ruled out an SSD relation as well as it being related to a bluetooth connection?

Did you every attempt to track down if there is a separate ground wire for the steering assist motor and verify that connection is good?

I don't think Tesla Vision has anything to do with this either or one would think there would be other reports of this happening.

I think a bad ground connection is definitely a good candidate to look into. Ground issues can do all kinds of funny things to cars.

Reactions: XPsionic
My friend just picked up his 2023 model 3 SR. He's had it a few weeks and is at around 923 miles on the ODO. He was recently getting small vibrations trying to turn the wheel left or right. He did a reboot to fix it, and it went away but now has a complete loss of power steering. Went through several reboots. Talked with Tesla service and they're saying it has to be towed to the Service Center.

Anyone else experienced similar?

Reactions: arrow7
One reason I thought it was overloaded CPU is there would be stuttering in the reverse camera.

I have it at Tesla today and will let y'all know what they find (hasn't happened for a week!). Had the appointment 2 weeks though and they saw all the errors in their logs.

Ok, so I just got word from Tesla that the wiring harness is corroded and the steering rack will be replaced, along with an alignment. $3200.

Here are the pics of the wiring.

This car just turned 5 years old.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (3) (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3) (1).jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 139
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 94
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (2) (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (2) (1).jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 91
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (1) (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (1) (1).jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: Gtech
My friend just picked up his 2023 model 3 SR. He's had it a few weeks and is at around 923 miles on the ODO. He was recently getting small vibrations trying to turn the wheel left or right. He did a reboot to fix it, and it went away but now has a complete loss of power steering. Went through several reboots. Talked with Tesla service and they're saying it has to be towed to the Service Center.

Looks like SC replaced the steering rack in my friends 3 week old 2023 model 3. This is probably related to the issue being investigated by the NHTSA:

This symptom is exactly what happened to me. I have about 6,000 miles on my 2023 M3. My service appointment is on Tuesday 9/19/23

On my 2023 RWD, after 1800 miles mine went out a couple months ago, it made the news at the time that the government was investigating (ha ha) why this happened so much and people might get hurt. I drove mine (was hard) to the service center and got to drive the piss out of a performance model as a loaner for a few days. Replace steering rack. All good.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Had this same error message pop up about two weeks ago. The message did not return after the car was parked overnight, but I made an appointment with Tesla in Cherry Hill NJ. The tech found corrosion on the wiring, cleaned and tested conductivity. Just under $150 for the repair. 2018 LR RWD Model 3, 69K miles.

I never drove the car through water (unless rain/puddles count) so I'm wondering how permanent a fix this will be.
Screenshot 2023-11-07 8.33.43 AM.png

Ok, so I just got word from Tesla that the wiring harness is corroded and the steering rack will be replaced, along with an alignment. $3200.

Here are the pics of the wiring.

This car just turned 5 years old.
I have just started having similar problem with the Power Steering intermittently failing (UI_a020 "Steering Assist Reduced"). I am unfortunately 90 miles away from a service centre so its no easy to just drop it in and pick it up.
Do you know whether there is anyway for me to check for this corrosion issue, or is that actually pretty difficult?
If found this to be the likely cause I could prep the Tesla Service centre and this would probably reduce the visit duration (time without car etc) considerably.