Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Steering Assist Reduced"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-steering.jpg

Drove the car for ten minutes, parked, and then got this error. There was no power steering at all, so it was incredibly difficult to drive at low speeds/from a start. The parking sensors also didn't work. Was told to power cycle the car for five minutes, that didn't help.

I suspect this is part of the electronic gremlins that plague my car, that there are apparently no solutions for. The handles still close on my hands every day, the infotainment system fails on me frequently, etc. I was told it's a "memory leak" with no solution. I have emailed Corporate, Elon Musk, etc., not even a reply much less a solution.

I'm not sure what I can do - there are no other places or people to talk to. I just have a car that doesn't work right and no fix forthcoming.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow, they said they can get to it in a few days. This, I think, will be the fifth time my car's in the shop for unscheduled problems in 1.5 years.

I was told it's a "memory leak" with no solution. I have emailed Corporate, Elon Musk, etc., not even a reply much less a solution.

That makes no sense. A memory leak is a software bug, which is always fixable. And lots of other cars are running the same software without having these issues, so it's probably not a software bug in the first place.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
flashflood is correct, a memory leak should cause problems for all cars running the same software. Or at least a portion of them that are using it the same as you. Not something that would disable a single car. It would also be solvable.

More likely, this is something with your car. A failing component or a bad connection.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
flashflood is correct, a memory leak should cause problems for all cars running the same software. Or at least a portion of them that are using it the same as you. Not something that would disable a single car. It would also be solvable.

More likely, this is something with your car. A failing component or a bad connection.

Exactly. Most likely there's some hardware component in distress, which is causing the software to repeatedly execute a normally rare error path, and that error path has a memory leak. Probably something as simple/stupid as a sprintf() buffer. But, again, this would be fixable.

This has been going on for a year. I document all the problems, and they tell me there's no fix. I basically demand they replace electrical components until it's fixed, and they don't. Corporate ignores me. Not sure who to call or email.

They speak only one language...

NHTSA and Lemon Law..

Sad but not unique to Tesla at all. Just a fact of life when dealing with large manufacturers.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
View attachment 196956

Drove the car for ten minutes, parked, and then got this error. There was no power steering at all, so it was incredibly difficult to drive at low speeds/from a start. The parking sensors also didn't work. Was told to power cycle the car for five minutes, that didn't help.

I suspect this is part of the electronic gremlins that plague my car, that there are apparently no solutions for. The handles still close on my hands every day, the infotainment system fails on me frequently, etc. I was told it's a "memory leak" with no solution. I have emailed Corporate, Elon Musk, etc., not even a reply much less a solution.

I'm not sure what I can do - there are no other places or people to talk to. I just have a car that doesn't work right and no fix forthcoming.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow, they said they can get to it in a few days. This, I think, will be the fifth time my car's in the shop for unscheduled problems in 1.5 years.

I had a similar loss of power steering, that was initially "fixed" by restarting the car, but eventually deteriorated over the course of three days to multiple warnings related to various systems (ABS, ESC, and others). At that point the car was not drivable. It was diagnosed as a connection problem at one of the posts of the lead-acid battery, which resulted in loss of the ground. After cleaning the post and the terminal and re-connecting, the problem was fixed and never came back (this happened 1 year and 2 months ago).

Given problems wit unrelated systems - steering and parking sensors - I think that the most likely culprit is poor ground or loose connections somewhere in the auxiliary power circuit.

I just got this problem today. Reboot didn't clear it. Stopping and starting car again did clear it. For now, anyway.

Things I should check? Does Tesla steering have any fluid to check? I would guess not, but not sure. From this thread, sounds like I should check the terminals to the battery to ensure they are firmly attached and clean.