Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Feel Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know exactly what you mean. I have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I drove the Tesla S, X, and 3, but admittedly not the Y. In the performance versions, they make a great dragster. But cornering and handling is a different story. The S and X I simply found unacceptable. But the 3 in the performance version was closer. I might have bought it, but found the seats too uncomfortable. I am 6’, but my 5’2” girlfriend also found them uncomfortable. You might want to check out the performance 3.

Just test drove a model Y. I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf and 2015 Model S. Love the vehicle, design, storage, seats, etc. but......The Y steering sucks by comparison to any vehicle I’ve driven, even the 72’ Dart or Ford LTD station wagon, and all the way back to manual steering the 57’ Chevy with the huge steering wheel. The Y felt dead, even on “sport” mode. Is this what today’s SUVs are like? I’ll test drive a Model 3 next, but if the same, then I’m keeping the S (well, maybe upgrade to the Plaid+ if it’s any better).

Reactions: magicnote
Maybe you drove one of the Y's they left a nut off the lower control arm. :)
Did you check the tire pressure? It's a voice command. I run ~44-46 in mine and it drives fine. The placard says 42 I think. That could make a difference.
Thanks. No, I was a complete noob. Got the email Monday and accepted the first test drive Tuesday. Didn’t do any research. I’m not ready to buy anyway, just wanted to see one up close and in person. I’m actually looking at the Y for family members. My eyes are on the S Plaid+.:eek:

I took delivery of a Y Performance with Performance pkg last week. I am disappointed with the steering feel on this vehicle. It has three setting for steering Comfort, Standard and Sport, but none of them improve matters. The Comfort is the least offensive, because the other two just get heavier and even more dead. I drive Porsches and I realize that my expectations might be higher than average. I didn't expect the Tesla to have great feel, but it is bad, not just disconnected and dull, but thick and 'sticky', especially in the middle, with no self centering. If you turn the wheel five degrees and release it, it doesn't return, it sticks, and stays on that path. There's no sense of the road through the steering. The feel improves somewhat when cornering hard, but in normal driving, zilch. Sadly, there's much to admire about this car. The powertrain is wonderful. It's very fast and quieter than I expected. The chassis handles hard transitions very well. The sound system is excellent! I applaud Tesla and I want it to succeed, but I can't live without road-feel. It's just too important to my engagement and driving pleasure. I've returned the car, disappointed! I have heard that in the Model 3 the rear drive models have better steering. I also wonder whether the Performance models, being 'tired up', might suffer more from this condition. If you have any knowledge about these matters, I'd like to hear from you. I will give Tesla another try in the future, hoping they've improved this aspect of their performance.

As others have noted, try a model 3 performance. But with your experience and preferences you might be better served by going to one of the Taycans. True Porsche handling plus the benefits of EV.

Just test drove a model Y. I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf and 2015 Model S. Love the vehicle, design, storage, seats, etc. but......The Y steering sucks by comparison to any vehicle I’ve driven, even the 72’ Dart or Ford LTD station wagon, and all the way back to manual steering the 57’ Chevy with the huge steering wheel. The Y felt dead, even on “sport” mode. Is this what today’s SUVs are like? I’ll test drive a Model 3 next, but if the same, then I’m keeping the S (well, maybe upgrade to the Plaid+ if it’s any better).
How was the Model 3 compared to the Y??

I find my steering in the LR AWD to be a little odd too, so I get what you are saying. I came from a 5 series BMW. The steering on my MY feels a little "jerky" and "uneasy". Tough to describe, but it feels difficult to control. It's especially unnerving in slippery conditions. I find that the "comfort" setting is a little better, and I change to this when it's snowing.

I love the steering on the Y. It reminds me of my past Audi A4, albeit a bit quicker lock-to-lock. The quickness will take a little getting used to. Last test drive I did, I had everything set to ' standard' mode and didn't mess with the settings. Can't wait to do so when I get my car....

Reactions: mark95476
I find my steering in the LR AWD to be a little odd too, so I get what you are saying. I came from a 5 series BMW. The steering on my MY feels a little "jerky" and "uneasy". Tough to describe, but it feels difficult to control. It's especially unnerving in slippery conditions. I find that the "comfort" setting is a little better, and I change to this when it's snowing.

First I was on standard mode, then I switched to comfort because I found standard too heavy on the freeway. During the last trip (about 100 miles one way), I had to switch back to standard because I was oversteering too much. For some reasons, the steering does not seem consistent.

Reactions: patnshan
After a while, Tesla steering seems to become second nature.

If you are transitioning from another vehile, that you have become used to, of course it will feel a bit difference, at least at first.

The Germans used to have some of the best steering feel, but lately they seem most like average cars.

Reactions: laservet
Just adding my own experience here as I had a Model Y for an overnight test drive earlier this week. On the vehicle provided to me, both my wife and I felt like it kept pulling to the right and at times the steering felt very squirrelly. My wife found the comfort setting best for her and I felt sport mode was best for me. Like patnshan and WADan, I too found the steering "inconsistent". The build date of the vehicle was 12/2020. My gut feeling says that the alignment wasn't correct on this unit, so much so that I told the SA when returning it.

I'm still going ahead with my purchase as the car is just too much fun. For anyone wanting to take a test drive, I would recommend getting an extended test drive as 20 minutes is just not enough in my opinion.

Reactions: patnshan
First I was on standard mode, then I switched to comfort because I found standard too heavy on the freeway. During the last trip (about 100 miles one way), I had to switch back to standard because I was oversteering too much. For some reasons, the steering does not seem consistent.
Yeah, I can't put my finger on it either. I plan to simply use standard when it's not slippery, and comfort when it is. Again, I wish this thing had a real snow mode.

My last two cars were a Porsche 991.1 S and a BMW M4. Currently I have a TM3 LR AWD and LR RWD. All I can say is I love the steering feel of the TM3. I test drove a MY AWD and I love that too not that different compared to the TM3.

Yes to this.

I had a 997.2S, a Cayman GT4, GT3 Touring, and a ‘03 NSX. I love cars with good steering feel, but the MY LR doesn’t bother me one bit. With EPAS and a very heavy chassis I’m more that happy with how the steering is calibrated, understanding that it naturally has zero ‘feel’.

The GT3 probably came the closest to having ‘feel’ for a modern electric rack... But it’s a very different type of car with a very different design intent.