Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering wheel 10mm hex stripped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem, with a Model 3 made by China, this is the photo before drilling to use an EZ tap/bolt extractor bit, with a loose guarantee that it can handle a high level of torque, to then have it snap off in the hole that was drilled. Broke off flush, and with another form of extractor on order, the question is, can I drill a larger hole to bore out the ez tap and try again with a higher gauge extractor?

I’ve got a replacement bolt on hand, if I get ever get the current bolt out.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my 2019 M3P (built in Fremont). Having looked at a few YT videos, it looked like it should loosen quite easily but mine was a complete SOB to get out and when I did I found it had a lot of threadlock applied at some point. Other M3s of the same year didn't seem to have threadlock on that bolt but my steering column had been replaced due to a faulty motor and I think the SC put the new bolt in with too much threadlock on it as there had been a couple of reports at the time of steering wheels coming loose (!).

I almost rounded the hex keyway but hammered in an oversized bit and managed to eventually get it out. Heat didn;t make much difference when i tried. It needed a very long breaker bar and the steering on full right lock. Not sure what type of exraction method will be best but I'd advise seeking professional advice as it could be an expensive repair if it goes really wrong!

Reactions: TJ-Tassie
Upvote 0
Why are you trying to remove your steering wheel?
Yes trying to remove the current steering wheel to be replaced with a yoke.

I’m now looking for who can provide some professional assistance, but that didn’t stop me making a third attempt which got very close using a spline socket bit. The regular extractor bit was useless.

I’m also waiting for a different set of bits with a different profile. It’s the last thing I can think of trying.

IMG_0869.jpeg

Upvote 0
dumb question.. reverse threads ?
Nothing I’ve read indicates that, and the replacement bolt I ordered confirmed that. So I’ve been trying to go counter clockwise to remove it.

It’s a good question and since you flagged it, I’m going to go double check that bolt, making sure there is no difference because it’s a right hand drive model.

Upvote 0
Nothing I’ve read indicates that, and the replacement bolt I ordered confirmed that. So I’ve been trying to go counter clockwise to remove it.

It’s a good question and since you flagged it, I’m going to go double check that bolt, making sure there is no difference because it’s a right hand drive model.
I can confirm It's a normal (right hand) thread.

Upvote 0