Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Controls Including Horn Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returning my 2018 MS 75D to service for 5th (fifth) time because all steering wheel controls are dysfunctional. Note this includes horn and ability to reboot screens. TESLA service has been unable to provide durable repair of this problem. Have others experienced the issue?

Yes! Thought I was the only one! first time was last July, supposedly they replaced the steering wheel stalk control section. Controls went out again in late december (out of warraty) got it fixed and this time they replaced the actual steering wheel control modules on the steering wheel (both sides plus cable) .
JUST TODAY IT DIED AGAIN!! literally the fix lasted like three weeks!!! Clearly there are bigger technical issues at play here. the cost to replace the steering control modules is $400 the stalk controls were replaced under warranty

My 2017 MS P100D has had all steering wheel functions (scroll-wheels and buttons) fail 4 times now. Stalk items still work. I can control my radio volume in lower right-hand corner of MCU screen but not with the scroll wheel. Unable to re-boot either. Tried power-off reboot and even deeper reboots by removing battery cables to no avail. Worst thing lost in these failure events is my horn. I know that the horn actually still works though because of the APP.
The parts (including the scroll wheels-buttons wiring harness and large stalk module) have all been replaced by my local SC. My car is now out of warranty and my most recent failure just occured in April only approx 5 weeks after repaired! Have either of your service centers found a permanent fix for this re-occuring problem? Thanks for any advice.

I'm in a similar situation: I've had the right-hand switch assembly replaced three times in my 6-month old MS. I lose the horn and all right functions, but the left wheel still works. And, I can reboot the screens with only the left wheel depressed, indicating that the righe wheel switch is shorting out.

Returning my 2018 MS 75D to service for 5th (fifth) time because all steering wheel controls are dysfunctional. Note this includes horn and ability to reboot screens. TESLA service has been unable to provide durable repair of this problem. Have others experienced the issue?
Well, It's a common problem on BMWs but my S hasn't had any issues like this. The part involved is often called the clock spring, it's gone through quite a few changes over the years and todays cars often include the stalks and other switches behind the steering wheel. Basically at it's heart, imagine wires glued to a plastic ribbon and wound many times like and old clock spring with on end connected to the fixed column and the other to the steering wheel. The idea is they don't break when you turn the wheel. Unfortunately they break :O I Just replaced one on a 2014 BMW 528 with your exact symptoms($1800).

Well, It's a common problem on BMWs but my S hasn't had any issues like this. The part involved is often called the clock spring, it's gone through quite a few changes over the years and todays cars often include the stalks and other switches behind the steering wheel. Basically at it's heart, imagine wires glued to a plastic ribbon and wound many times like and old clock spring with on end connected to the fixed column and the other to the steering wheel. The idea is they don't break when you turn the wheel. Unfortunately they break :O I Just replaced one on a 2014 BMW 528 with your exact symptoms($1800).
Well, Having replaced mine 4 times and awaiting on service for the fifth, I can say its electronic, not mechanical. I now have two sets of controller buttons (left and right, with cable) that i got back when they replaced (out of warranty). Funny now that with my voice control button non functional, I can actually honk the horn and the voice control comes on, it would be comical if it weren't the fifth failure of steering wheel controls

Well, Having replaced mine 4 times and awaiting on service for the fifth, I can say its electronic, not mechanical. I now have two sets of controller buttons (left and right, with cable) that i got back when they replaced (out of warranty). Funny now that with my voice control button non functional, I can actually honk the horn and the voice control comes on, it would be comical if it weren't the fifth failure of steering wheel controls
Supposedly the entire steering wheel assembly, including the stalks, in my 2015 Model S was sourced from Daimler Benz (or from its parts suppliers). it certainly looked identical to the MB wheel and stalks of the day, so I did not doubt it was "from Mercedes." I wonder if the more recent hardware is from the same supplier. And either way, I wonder if the hardware is or was truly from DB or its suppliers, and if the Mercedes cars have had similar problems with failures. In my 40+ years owning Mercedes cars before I got this Tesla, I found the switchgear to hold up well, but not forever.

Reactions: Altes
Has anyone had a successful fix that doesn’t involve replacing the entire steering wheel? My 2016 MS 75 is now sadly out of warranty and I have the same issue. All steering wheel mounted controls and horn are dead, my only way to reboot was the “car off hard reset” and it did nothing. Does the airbag still deploy in case of an accident? If not, then this needs to be a top priority fix, not the 3-weeks-from-now appointment they gave me.

I wanted to revive this thread to see if we can get more attention. My '17 MS steering wheel controls and horn have stopped working as well. Suspiciously, it happened right after the last firmware update, which leads me to believe its software related. I would agree with the clock spring theory but the backlighting on the buttons still functions normally. I tried disconnecting the 12v battery and the HV battery for a full reset as well with no change.

I wanted to revive this thread to see if we can get more attention. My '17 MS steering wheel controls and horn have stopped working as well. Suspiciously, it happened right after the last firmware update, which leads me to believe its software related. I would agree with the clock spring theory but the backlighting on the buttons still functions normally. I tried disconnecting the 12v battery and the HV battery for a full reset as well with no change.
Did you ever this resolved? I switched out brand new steering modules w/ harness- no change. Then bought a used clock spring - no change.

Horn and all steering wheels controls are not working. Horn works through the app.

• Informative
Reactions: David29