Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel hack no longer working in 2020.44.10.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. I've flown planes with autopilots for 30 years and don't have to keep my hands on the yoke. I do watch ahead and am ready to take over. Why shouldn't the "autoppilot" on a car be any different? Why have an autopilot if i have to keep my hands on the wheel and not look away from the road at all? I check to make sure nobody is around me before I reach down for something (like a sandwich). In traffic that's a different story.
I think the safety features are for idiots who want to read a newspaper or fall asleep.

last I checked, when i'm up in the air, I don't see hundreds of other planes flying right next to me, in front of me, and behind me and moving around me.

the reality is that with Teslas you CAN reach down for a sandwich without getting a nag (assuming your car's hardware is functioning as intended). Just like in a no-autonomy car, the decision to do something like that depends on whether it's reasonably safe to do so. And in many cases, it will be safe to do so. Like glancing over to look at your speed, or adjust your cabin temp. Obv don't do any of that if you're in the middle of making a turn in a busy intersection...

I disagree. I've flown planes with autopilots for 30 years and don't have to keep my hands on the yoke. I do watch ahead and am ready to take over. Why shouldn't the "autoppilot" on a car be any different? Why have an autopilot if i have to keep my hands on the wheel and not look away from the road at all? I check to make sure nobody is around me before I reach down for something (like a sandwich). In traffic that's a different story.
I think the safety features are for idiots who want to read a newspaper or fall asleep.

An aircraft on autopilot is very different. Enroute, you have 1000 ft vertical separation and three mile horizontally. What often as described as the “big sky theory”. You have time to react if it fails. On approach, especially inside five mile, a good technique is to have your hand on the yoke or side stick. Driving a car on autopilot is more similar to being on final approach at all times.

Reactions: Dewg