Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel hack no longer working in 2020.44.10.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came back from a road trip from Weston, FL to Sarasota, FL (420 miles round trip). I have a lacrosse training weight (12 OZ) as my steering wheel weight/hack, and I still received a message to the effect of "move the steering wheel". I am always paying attention to only the road ahead. I've gone more than 500 miles in the past with my hack, and it always kept those messages away. Moreover, turning the volume scroll bars on the steering wheel up or down no longer worked either.

In fact, squeezing the steering wheel with my hands did not work either, I literally had to turn the steering wheel so much to get the message to go away, that I would end up disengaging my autopilot.

Try holding either your left or right hand at the 5 or 7 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. This typically creates enough torque to let the car know that you are engaged.

As a side benefit you actually have your hands on the wheel so that you can react if/when necessary.
That's what I tried to do, in those same positions, but I still had to turn the steering wheel, and that would lead to autopilot disengaging

That's what I tried to do, in those same positions, but I still had to turn the steering wheel, and that would lead to autopilot disengaging
Interesting. My car is pending this same update so I'll give it a go and see if I have any issues. I HAVE noticed that it's easier to disengage AP (requires less torque on the wheel) in recent updates but resting my hand in those positions has worked just like it always has for me.

I just came back from a road trip from Weston, FL to Sarasota, FL (420 miles round trip). I have a lacrosse training weight (12 OZ) as my steering wheel weight/hack, and I still received a message to the effect of "move the steering wheel". I am always paying attention to only the road ahead. I've gone more than 500 miles in the past with my hack, and it always kept those messages away. Moreover, turning the volume scroll bars on the steering wheel up or down no longer worked either.

In fact, squeezing the steering wheel with my hands did not work either, I literally had to turn the steering wheel so much to get the message to go away, that I would end up disengaging my autopilot.
I should add that these messages appeared only once every 20 minutes. Before I had the hack (~6 months ago), I would get the messages every minute. This update has definitely changed the way autopilot/NoA requires the "check in".

One more thought: the messages only came every 20 minutes because the highway was curvy in many areas, so the autopilot would turn the steering wheel. Therefore on the straight portion, when the steering wheel would not be turned, the car asked me to turn it. It seems that the new software's logic is that nobody's hand is perfectly steady, like the hack would be.

One more thought: the messages only came every 20 minutes because the highway was curvy in many areas, so the autopilot would turn the steering wheel. Therefore on the straight portion, when the steering wheel would not be turned, the car asked me to turn it. It seems that the new software's logic is that nobody's hand is perfectly steady, like the hack would be.
If so that's a good thing for now. Autopilot isn't quite reliable enough at the moment to completely keep your hands off the wheel.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I didn't notice any difference with 2020.44.10.1 on the freeway in our 3. Holding the wheel at about 4 or 5 o'clock worked fine as usual.

It might be possible that it can tell the difference between a hand and a weight now. I would think a weight would provide a more consistent torque on the wheel when going straight.

Squeezing the wheel does nothing. You just need to calibrate your hand on the wheel to match your weight.

I don’t have any *sugar* hanging off my steering wheel, but with both hands on the wheel, I sometimes get a nag. It seems to only be on long stretches of straight road, probably because the wheel isn’t really moving a lot for it to “detect” hands present on the wheel.

Reactions: APotatoGod

I have noticed the same thing in my model three with the latest update. I get it about every 5 to 10 minutes. The amount of torque required to get rid of the nag almost disengages the auto pilot.

Previously I have driven from Michigan to North Carolina multiple times, and have not got the nag. Auto pilot worked 100%

Its simple. You have to just give the wheel a slight jerk - don't wiggle it. Pull it a few mm and hold it there. Won't disengage, the message will go away. I've been doing this now for months and works 100% of the time.

Other way to do this safely is to turn the volume (or speed) wheel up/down one notch. This is what I used to do before read about the above method.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've found 2 lbs to be the perfect weight. I use the head of a 2 lbs sledge hammer ($5 at Harbor Freight) with a bit of contour applied using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder to get it nestled in the nook of the steering wheel, held in place with a rubber band for quick easy removal.

IMG_3630 (2).JPEG

I've found 2 lbs to be the perfect weight. I use the head of a 2 lbs sledge hammer ($5 at Harbor Freight) with a bit of contour applied using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder to get it nestled in the nook of the steering wheel, held in place with a rubber band for quick easy removal.

View attachment 618621

That's gonna be fun when the airbag goes off

Hhmmm, I was out for a 40 mile ride on a fairly straight highway the other day, and 2 times during the trip it wanted me to touch the wheel even though my 19 ounce "de-nag the nag" weight was on as it always was. That's never happened before.

The weight is normally hanging near my hand, I can tap or bounce the weight a bit with minimal effort now and then to alter its weight briefly. I'll keep an eye on this and see what alterations are needed.

If so that's a good thing for now. Autopilot isn't quite reliable enough at the moment to completely keep your hands off the wheel.
I disagree. I've flown planes with autopilots for 30 years and don't have to keep my hands on the yoke. I do watch ahead and am ready to take over. Why shouldn't the "autoppilot" on a car be any different? Why have an autopilot if i have to keep my hands on the wheel and not look away from the road at all? I check to make sure nobody is around me before I reach down for something (like a sandwich). In traffic that's a different story.
I think the safety features are for idiots who want to read a newspaper or fall asleep.