Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
I have a new M3 that is only a couple weeks old. This steering issue started for me before it hit 300 miles… can’t get into the service center for 10 days. I’m afraid to drive it, given some additional reports of the steering failing completely and causing wrecks and tows. Not a good way to start. Haven’t even made my first payment, registered the car, or paid taxes. And I fear driving the car so it will stay parked.

Upvote 0
I have a new M3 that is only a couple weeks old. This steering issue started for me before it hit 300 miles… can’t get into the service center for 10 days. I’m afraid to drive it, given some additional reports of the steering failing completely and causing wrecks and tows. Not a good way to start. Haven’t even made my first payment, registered the car, or paid taxes. And I fear driving the car so it will stay parked.

Let them know in the app that you don't feel safe driving it.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Upvote 0
Model Y 2023 dual motor LR with about 1,000 miles.

I had this same issue start this past Saturday. Steering wheel feels like it’s got notches—just like a second hand on a clock face has 60 detents all around the face. Hard to drive in a straight line since i’m alternating between one detent and its neighbor.

FSD, AP, lane keeping settings didn’t change anything. Can feel the detents in all conditions (warm, cool, driving, parked, etc).

I had a SC appt confirmed to take it in, but on my last drive today the problem seems to have disappeared on its own. It was very uncomfortable when it was happening. It was most stressful driving in narrow lanes where you’re boxed in by concrete barriers and other cars.

If the problem isn’t reproducible, should I be concerned? The resistance going between detents feels almost like disengaging AP by turning the wheel. Like half that amount of steering torque. I’m inclined to believe it is software related because it feels so similar. On the other hand, I worry that the jaggy steering input might’ve caused premature damage to the steering rack.

Anyways… I’ll keep notes and see if I notice anything else.

Upvote 0

I had this same issue start this past Saturday. Steering wheel feels like it’s got notches—just like a second hand on a clock face has 60 detents all around the face. Hard to drive in a straight line since i’m alternating between one detent and its neighbor.

FSD, AP, lane keeping settings didn’t change anything. Can feel the detents in all conditions (warm, cool, driving, parked, etc).

I had a SC appt confirmed to take it in, but on my last drive today the problem seems to have disappeared on its own. It was very uncomfortable when it was happening. It was most stressful driving in narrow lanes where you’re boxed in by concrete barriers and other cars.

If the problem isn’t reproducible, should I be concerned? The resistance going between detents feels almost like disengaging AP by turning the wheel. Like half that amount of steering torque. I’m inclined to believe it is software related because it feels so similar. On the other hand, I worry that the jaggy steering input might’ve caused premature damage to the steering rack.

My issue in the early days wasn't noticeable until it had warmed up. When I rode with the tech, he noticed it within the first minute.

Reactions: limmerguy
Upvote 0

It will get worse at some point. Mine started with notchy steering but would sometimes go away. Then then notchy steering was always there and the power steering wouldn’t be available sometimes and it would be very hard to turn the wheel. Then I just would get constant error message stating that things weren’t available.

Don’t wait. Take it in to get fixed, this is a know issue and they should be able to tell what it is just by your description of the issue.

Reactions: limmerguy
Upvote 0
My issue in the early days wasn't noticeable until it had warmed up. When I rode with the tech, he noticed it within the first minute.

It will get worse at some point. Mine started with notchy steering but would sometimes go away. Then then notchy steering was always there and the power steering wouldn’t be available sometimes and it would be very hard to turn the wheel. Then I just would get constant error message stating that things weren’t available.

Don’t wait. Take it in to get fixed, this is a know issue and they should be able to tell what it is just by your description of the issue.
Definitely correct. A cold front blew in and the problem hid itself until I ran a couple errands back to back (which heated up the steering rack).

I took my Y in yesterday and a tech immediately said, “steering rack is going out”. So they took it in and gave me a (poopy) loaner.

Estimated completion date was monday, but they finished today! New steering rack installed and a 4 wheel alignment was done.

Was overall very happy with the speed of service. I just hope the issue isn’t super widespread since driving with a notchy steering wheel is not comfortable or safe. And I don’t think everyone will get as lucky with speed of service.

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpeg
    IMG_5469.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0