Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Re "I even saw the boot open in the app when they had finished charging so somewhat fuming that they kept insisting no-one had been in the boot"
-Then there are logs confirming this. Very easy to pull/check. But mind you, if you do nothing, they will be deleted after some time (I don't know if it is three months or six months).
My 5 cents -You lost 100 quid, but if this repeats (might be one rotten egg in the basket), many more people might lose more important and valuable things they are attached to. I'd probably do something.

In regards to the steering rack version, I think you're in luck.
Just a few hours ago, I found a way to check it yourself.

Coincidentally, Omar has pointed me in the right direction under one of Green's (@greentheonly) posts.

I came across these tweets:

View attachment 913128

So it turns out that you can check what Option Codes you have in your car.
If you have The Option Code "SG01" in your car, that means that you have SINGLE-CHIP STEERING GEAR / STEERING RACK.

View attachment 913136

EVERYTHING IS EXPLAINED HERE:

AND HERE:

Also, for anyone interested in buying a car, I see that Tezz.la Hunter (Tezz.la - Tesla Global Inventory Search) makes it available to check the Option Code prior to buying a used or new inventory car.

Unfortunately, it requires a $7 subscription.

View attachment 913140

View attachment 913143
Thanks for the detail! I’ll look into that…

Re: the theft of items from boot, you’re right.. I was on the phone to Tesla again this morning and am waiting to get a call back from the SC, but will keep this off thread now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detail! I’ll look into that…

Re: the theft of items from boot, you’re right.. I was on the phone to Tesla again this morning and am waiting to get a call back from the SC, but will keep this off thread now.
I don’t see either SG01 or SG02.

I tried fumbling about with the GitHub links but am at a loss to get that working, I just examined the options string in the html from my vehicle once logged in to tesla.com but that list looks pretty generic, so I assume you’d need tesla_api to get a fuller, more detailed list (though I also read the option codes can’t be relied upon for post ‘19 cars anyhow)?
If anyone knows a more idiot proof way of getting this info out of tesla_api I’m all ears.

Upvote 0
MYsep22 - Have the same issue - haptic / mouse scroll button like notchy feel at low speed steering or when stationary - which started a couple of weeks ago, around the time when we had the steering wheel heating adjustment added via the latest software (I think?). Over the phone I was told it is a software issue, visited the SC recently (my very first SC visit and was not impressed!- they forgot to tighten a few bolts after checking a separate minor issue which they also haven’t resolved - I am glad I noticed by chance!!!) mainly for this but came back with no resolution other than advised to take it back for another full day for them to fiddle with the firmware and then perhaps to decide if steering rack needs replacing. I think, apparently they have 4 /5 different batches of steering racks (mark 1-4/5) - on some they have other issues and once they are replaced this particular issue is resolved but it seems they do not know which mark requires firmware update and which requires replacement straight away…I am confused and more irritated after the SC visit 🙄

Have the next SC scheduled but I am yet to decide whether:

- let them try in-house firmware route, sounded like this is a trial and error option - they are not really sure if it will work and bizarrely they also admit it is something which is still being investigated by Tesla???

- if the above doesn’t work then get the steering rack replaced (I am reluctant with this option as I am not sure if they’ll cause further alignment issues or other problems related to driving/steering characteristics of the vehicle)

- or just delay the above visit and wait for a magical software update over the air to resolve the issue…

Most likely it is something to do with the heating or temperature, linked to one of the latest updates and the “clever” saving on the chip.

Those who had their steering rack replaced- have you noticed any further issue after the repair ie worsening of the driving characteristics / handling either on motorway or single carriageway?

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Upvote 0
Those who their steering rack replaced- have you noticed any further issue after the repair ie worsening of the driving characteristics / handling either on motorway or single carriageway?
Honestly, the steering feel is a little bit better than before I got the issue.

Attachments

• FA850B9B-E122-41AC-91E9-34B7CAD29851.jpeg
    FA850B9B-E122-41AC-91E9-34B7CAD29851.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: SHT54 and Benotomy
Upvote 0
Got appointment booked for Thursday for them to check if its software or hardware related. From my prospective, it doesnt matter which one it is, I want it fixed ASAP.

I did a 100 miles round trip yesterday, it was awful and sometimes scary. The only thing that kept it feeling ok was autopilot.
good luck-Would be interested to hear how it goes.

I had a few long journeys this weekend and noticed a big difference especially on motorway. My experience was that the lane keeping on motorway was dead straight but, the steering was very clunky ie the steering wheel felt as if it only wanted to be in one of the “notches” and didn’t like transitioning from one to another - basically it was not a continuous / smooth steering feel on each direction. Autopilot did a great job, perhaps one of the reason why I never noticed how bad it was on motorways.

Someone here also mentioned that after supercharging, it somehow lessens or disappears - I would agree.

Reactions: Darreno
Upvote 0
While still waiting for my next SC appointment on this issue, I received a Tesla message informing me that they had ordered the part, expect to be ready by then and an email asking me to review & accept the service estimate which btw doesn’t include wheel alignment after all that🙄. I find it rather strange because last week, SC technician told me they would first try various firmware options and see if it solves the problem , if not they would check with me to go ahead with steering rack replacement or not…now I wonder if they actually think or know it is a mechanical problem (short chipped?) and not firmware🤔

Attachments

• 7054580E-7907-4C4A-AD20-0035D1F12C55.jpeg
    7054580E-7907-4C4A-AD20-0035D1F12C55.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Upvote 0
While still waiting for my next SC appointment on this issue, I received a Tesla message informing me that they had ordered the part, expect to be ready by then and an email asking me to review & accept the service estimate which btw doesn’t include wheel alignment after all that🙄. I find it rather strange because last week, SC technician told me they would first try various firmware options and see if it solves the problem , if not they would check with me to go ahead with steering rack replacement or not…now I wonder if they actually think or know it is a mechanical problem (short chipped?) and not firmware🤔
I see that you also have a Single chip steering gear. I am seriously starting to see a pattern here.

3987539845.png

Upvote 0
got a model y long range september 22 latest update for heated steering , nocked the steering off after tesla tech come out and said car was ok it wasnt , bit the bullet and drove on b road to service centre in uk , at this moment i wont say what centre , anyway withing 1 hour they gave me a loner m3p , then said car should have been recovered as it was not safe to drive in there opinion , now i also said to service guy since i got the car i have always never been able to get any more than 113 miles using 80% of the battery said they would check this ,now heres the real strange thing he said to me was some kind of third party software has been wakening the car up and they have been playing around with the software , on monday last week 27th feb they played around with the software in the car for 4.5 hours and used 36% of the battery no can anyone explain how this is possible , i will post the email once i edit it so no names are mentioned on this just as proof , because now i am thinking i dont want this car back because what happens if someone is tampering with the software and i jump in the car and something goes wrong as i value my life ,

• Helpful
Upvote 0