Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
I have a Berlin made Model Y that has had this issue since November. Back then I couldn't figure out if it was just me. Tesla's response has so far been that it will be fixed in software. Using the API to check for option codes returns `None` for my car.
Tesla might have caught up with this thread and started hiding the option codes. They are no longer visible at EV-CPO for the current listings too. Only the archived listings for Model Y and Model 3 have it at this time.

Instructions from this link might still work. Worth trying anyway:

If not, IMO, the producer should provide this information to the owner upon request. (Steering rack's part number and vehicle option codes)

Upvote 0
Tesla might have caught up with this thread and started hiding the option codes. They are no longer visible at EV-CPO for the current listings too. Only the archived listings for Model Y and Model 3 have it at this time.

Instructions from this link might still work. Worth trying anyway:

If not, IMO, the producer should provide this information to the owner upon request. (Steering rack's part number and vehicle option codes)

The method with the image URL led to this series of option codes:
1678350101271.png

No SG01

Upvote 0
I've just spoken to Tesla Service Centre - Milton Keynes, and they informed me they are getting a lot of calls about this issue. As others have said, it's a known software issue, they have prioritised a fix and hope to have a new update released in the next week or so.
i think we are getting lead up the garden path here , as i dropped mine off monday 6th march as mine would not drive straight either and now it is getting steering rack and several other things fitted to it , i reported this after last software update for heated steering and tech guy that came out said was software issue , i dont think they even know what it is.

Upvote 0
i think we are getting lead up the garden path here , as i dropped mine off monday 6th march as mine would not drive straight either and now it is getting steering rack and several other things fitted to it , i reported this after last software update for heated steering and tech guy that came out said was software issue , i dont think they even know what it is.
I get the same feeling - I've kept my service request logged.

Reactions: Benotomy and SHT54
Upvote 0
i am in two mids to post the report i got from tech when i dropped car off , as i am now thinking strongly in the way of rejecting the car now they have it on site as i have never regardless of what i do been able to get 113 miles to 80% of the battery charged to a 100%, also kind of worrying is 27th feb car was woke up by third party software for 4.5 hour and used 36% of battery , so now i am thinking well if this kind of thing is happening theres is something wrong far wrong....

• Helpful
Upvote 0
It is really getting confusing for me…by the looks of it they are aware of the problem because they say so and furthermore they claim they are working on the solution (software update???) but at the same time they are asking people to report to escalate up the chain, they are replacing or offering to replace steering racks for some (some having their upper control arms being replaced as well)…after my first SC visit experience when they forgot to tighten 4 bolts back in place after checking something else (a minor issue) I am really hoping that firmware/ software update will resolve the problem (if there is really going to be one and as long as it is a permanent solution) instead of a major part replacement by tech. Team with questionable skill set / safety-quality assurance. Then there is this single or double chip debate - how does this play into it???

I am keen to hear all others’ update on their experience and their SC visit outcome to give some level of confidence whether to go ahead with the steering rack replacement or wait for an update. Surely if the chip side of the equation is the real cause and doesn’t allow FSD then it is a different story…

P.S: it feels as if all other problems are starting to appear after 5000/6000 miles on the clock…this morning I noticed a very weird fan noise around the radiator while it was preconditioning and then gradually slowed down & disappeared when I opened the door. In the afternoon I started hearing intermittent metal grinding noise from the front of the car almost like there was a tin plate hanging or about to drop and scratching the road…but then disappeared and came back a few more times…oh well perhaps for another thread-one thing is for sure SC will be the second address in the next couple of weeks/ months…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
May be🤔

How did your SC visit go today - any luck?
The technician was very helpful, nice bloke too. He took it for a drive and done all their diagnostics for a few hours. End result, rack needs replacing. I will post the outcome following rack change.

Having read other groups online, it seems some are more noticeable than others. Mine is very noticeable, fighting the car anything above 40-50 (unsafe to wait for updates) and only really useable with AP on but can feel at all speeds, micro adjusting all the time at low speeds. I guess some are less impacted and not noticing as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benotomy
Upvote 0
The technician was very helpful, nice bloke too. He took it for a drive and done all their diagnostics for a few hours. End result, rack needs replacing. I will post the outcome following rack change.

Having read other groups online, it seems some are more noticeable than others. Mine is very noticeable, fighting the car anything above 40-50 and only really useable with AP on but can feel at all speeds, micro adjusting all the time at low speeds. I guess some are less impacted and not noticing as much.
Thanks! 👍 Hope all goes well... I think if it was problem which could be resolved via software update, perhaps Tesla would be focusing on this and delay or avoid steering rack replacements - perhaps SR replacement is the ultimate solution.

The other day I had to use defrost mode at the highest temperature setting for quite sometime and immediately afterwards for almost 10/15 mins the issue was totally unnoticeable/ gone, but later started again…in my case it fluctuates a lot depending on mainly the temperature and other conditions- therefore there may be people who haven’t yet noticed or at different software versions- who knows…

Upvote 0
Thanks! 👍 Hope all goes well... I think if it was problem which could be resolved via software update, perhaps Tesla would be focusing on this and delay or avoid steering rack replacements - perhaps SR replacement is the ultimate solution.

The other day I had to use defrost mode at the highest temperature setting for quite sometime and immediately afterwards for almost 10/15 mins the issue was totally unnoticeable/ gone, but later started again…in my case it fluctuates a lot depending on mainly the temperature and other conditions- therefore there may be people who haven’t yet noticed or at different software versions- who knows…
Part of the tests today were temperature based. It was explained to me sometimes the steering becomes faulty/notched with faulty temperature sensors. Maybe linked to your issue. As where mine didn’t resolve even at higher temperatures.

I guess not all can be delayed for a software update if they’re unsafe to drive.

Reactions: Benotomy
Upvote 0