Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
China MYLR picked up Sept 22 here - a familiar story in this thread. The same issue, the same response from Tesla. 2023.6.1 is rolling out very slowly. If anyone gets this, it'll be good to know if it resolves the issue.

I've just created a service request asking if 2023.6.1 is expected to fix the issue and if so, can they push it to my car. I'm driving to the Alps and back twice in the next few weeks and I want a car that can drive straight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
China MYLR picked up Sept 22 here - a familiar story in this thread. The same issue, the same response from Tesla. 2023.6.1 is rolling out very slowly. If anyone gets this, it'll be good to know if it resolves the issue.

I've just created a service request asking if 2023.6.1 is expected to fix the issue and if so, can they push it to my car. I'm driving to the Alps and back twice in the next few weeks and I want a car that can drive straight.
wouldnt rely on service for advice as my steering assembly had to be replaced and a view other items , service sent out tech who told me it is software but continued to get worse so done the journey to service centre and two weeks later there now saying the car is ready to go .

Upvote 0
Had my service appointment - was told to wait for 2023.6.1 to fix.

The technician said they ran tests by heating the car up:
  • If the steering becomes less 'notchy' at higher temperatures, then it's a firmware issue. (and you need to wait for update)
  • If the steering remains 'notchy', then it's a hardware issue, often caused by faulty heat sensors below the steering column. (and they will replace steering rack with sensors)
The technician said that his Tesla M3 also had this 'notchy' problem after a software update. He has early access to 2023.6.1 and said it fixed the problem for him.

Interestingly, I have noticed a less 'notchy' experience at higher temperatures. For example, right after supercharging, the issue is alleviated a little. The technician confirmed that if supercharging helps even a little, then it's a firmware issue. Driving yesterday, it was 13 degrees outside, 20 degrees in the car, and the 'notchiness' had almost gone entirely.

Upvote 0
The technician said that his Tesla M3 also had this 'notchy' problem after a software update. He has early access to 2023.6.1 and said it fixed the problem for him.
That sounds really good. Looking forward to that, then.

I have the same experience as you. When it's below -5 (C), it's extremely defined, but when it gets to 10-15 degrees, it's very subtle.

Reactions: Benotomy
Upvote 0
That sounds really good. Looking forward to that, then.

I have the same experience as you. When it's below -5 (C), it's extremely defined, but when it gets to 10-15 degrees, it's very subtle.
I share exactly the same experience with you both. However despite all this, in my case virtual service team and SC think that the steering rack needs to be replaced (part ready) funnily enough prior to the proper check/diagnosis booked for the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime I shall see if the next update is soon enough and what it brings - take it from there…

Upvote 0

This is what i was told (sort of) as well - what I don't understand tho, if this is the fix why haven't they pushed it to the cars that have been to the Sc already. I'm calling shenanigans

Reactions: Benotomy and SHT54
Upvote 0
This is what i was told (sort of) as well - what I don't understand tho, if this is the fix why haven't they pushed it to the cars that have been to the Sc already. I'm calling shenanigans

Yeah, it's a good question. I asked the guy if they could push the update to my car to fix. He said only certain Tesla employees have currently got the fix as part of internal testing, and they had to sign all manner of waivers to do so.

Upvote 0
After initially being booked in for a steering rack replacement, I’ve been told that this is actually a software issue and will be corrected in the next update. When will this be? Just ‘soon’. Could be months!
I’ve refused to pick the car up.l and escalated. It’s not safe to drive. Tesla are willingly allowing people to drive faulty vehicles that can’t drive straight. Ridiculous! There should be a major recall.
I’m thinking this needs to be made more public than it currently is.

Upvote 0
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.
Hey mate, I have exactly the same issue with steering wheel since I got my Model Y in September 2022 made in Berlin.
It can't keep car straight on a road, every time when I overtake someone it's just feels so unsafe because car move too left or too right, I did not expect from the new car such behaviour.
The sad part is that as of 20th of March 2023 non of the firmware updates resolved that issue. I have version 2023.2.12 installed.
Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hey mate, I have exactly the same issue with steering wheel since I got my Model Y in September 2022 made in Berlin.
It can't keep car straight on a road, every time when I overtake someone it's just feels so unsafe because car move too left or too right, I did not expect from the new car such behaviour.
The sad part is that as of 20th of March 2023 non of the firmware updates resolved that issue. I have version 2023.2.12 installed.
Cheers.
It’s outrageous really. It’s a major issue and Tesla just don’t want to know.
It’s like the only way for them to take notice is to take it to the press or something!

• Helpful
Upvote 0
Cheers.
Intriguing that whilst there are many of us experiencing the same fundamental issues with notchy steering, the level to which it manifests seems to vary. Mine is uncomfortably notchy at low speeds, but is still controllable at motorway speeds. And it diminishes as temperature rises.
Do you find yours is ‘worse‘ with increased steering feel effort (I.e Sport rather than Comfort)?

Upvote 0
Intriguing that whilst there are many of us experiencing the same fundamental issues with notchy steering, the level to which it manifests seems to vary. Mine is uncomfortably notchy at low speeds, but is still controllable at motorway speeds. And it diminishes as temperature rises.
Do you find yours is ‘worse‘ with increased steering feel effort (I.e Sport rather than Comfort)?

Mine is terrible at all speeds. 60-70mph I can’t keep it straight, I have to keep ticking left to right as it skips a notch. AP is the only way to keep it remotely comfortable.

Upvote 0