Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flat bottom could have stayed. Just add the top part.
Nope.
They didn’t.
Personally I prefer a round wheel like my 2018. The problem with the 2022 is the yoke does not slip nicely under your fingers, including the bottom part, especially when FSD is turning a corner. I generally need to completely let go of the yoke on turns, which is not the safest and I only do it if it has a wide margin. Otherwise I try hold it, and it sometimes disengages. I never have that issue with the 2018.

I'm curious if the retrofit allows you to keep the yoke or if that's with your core exchange factored in. $700 with labour included seems suspiciously low... what's a yoke MSRP for at the parts counter?
It’s not that cheap. I’m betting the airbag mechanism gets transferred over, so you’re just paying for a wheel with heat and haptic buttons. There’s not much to it. Also, installation will only take a decent tech around 10 mins. It’s just one bolt.

Here is a pic of the new OEM Tesla wheel

IMG_0576.jpg

Here’s a relevant thread: Yoke horn button move?

Sounds like recent builds have the hardware in the yoke necessary for the center of the yoke to be the horn, but the necessary software update is still missing.

So, maybe, sometime in the future when the software side is finally done, you could possibly get your yoke replaced with a newer one and get what you want.
Unfortunately the consensus on TMC is that Elon lied about having the hardware. People have taken apart the yoke and found no hardware to support his tweet. I guess the silver lining is that Tesla does at least seem to be listening to customer feedback - honestly I didn't think we'd see a round wheel option.

Here's another thread on the topic: Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

How’d you get one so quickly? And that can’t be oem. There’s no horizontal notches to separate the haptics.
I think it's OEM - all the aftermarket ones have a stunted bottom spoke because they reuse the yoke core - but from 2021. It looks the same as the one in the early prototypes that were spotted. The early website renderings of the yoke didn't have those bars either until it was ultimately added for final production.

8_9fdfa0f7-d4c8-4343-bf13-23491c1f4e99.jpeg

I think it's OEM - all the aftermarket ones have a stunted bottom spoke because they all reuse the yoke core - but from 2021. It looks the same as the one in the early prototypes that were spotted. The early website renderings didn't have those bars either until it was ultimately added for final production.

View attachment 893379
Sure, - and thanks for that image. I take issue with the image above us being described by T-Sportline as the “new” OEM wheel. 😬

And gosh, if the wheel had been released without the notches, I’d have lost my mind. It was bad enough as it was that there was a soft touch/hard touch haptic at launch. I’m SO GLAD they got rid of the soft touch with a software update.

And thank you. I normally buy a new car every 3 years. I did not buy the plaid because of the yoke. I am now considering either buying a new one with a wheel or buying extended warranty on my 2020 MSP that has 7K miles on it. Was leaning toward the warranty and now will consider the new vehicle again. My entire life, I always was getting a quicker vehicle. Corvettes except the newest c8. Found the Tesla MSP quicker and a MUCH better ride. Guess that matters more to a 70 year old.

M

Sure, - and thanks for that image. I take issue with the image above us being described by T-Sportline as the “new” OEM wheel. 😬

And gosh, if the wheel had been released without the notches, I’d have lost my mind. It was bad enough as it was that there was a soft touch/hard touch haptic at launch. I’m SO GLAD they got rid of the soft touch with a software update.
I thought the soft/hard press indicators were the coolest thing at delivery... until I actually pulled out onto the road. Thankfully the update to get rid of it came a week later.

I remember thinking the 'latched indicator' haptic feedback strength was weakened after that update though.

It’s not that cheap. I’m betting the airbag mechanism gets transferred over, so you’re just paying for a wheel with heat and haptic buttons. There’s not much to it. Also, installation will only take a decent tech around 10 mins. It’s just one bolt.
I had my yoke replaced b/c the plether was already coming apart at 7.5K miles on a section of the yoke I never touch. Tech removed and installed the new one in ten minutes.

Reactions: WilliamG