Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - Moved into existing thread from "UK Number Plate Requirements?"

Looking to get some vinyl stick on number plates for the front and rear, but confused about the requirements on them.

Apart from being DVLA BSAU certified, do they have to show the manufacture at the bottom? (Teslamotors/Tesla)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for unearthing an old thread - I'm keen to remove and replace the plates on my imminent M3 and was going to attach to the 'underplate' shown further up on the front rather than starting to shave/sand bodywork for a vinyl one (its a lease car) My question is, if I decide to go the vinyl route, whether or not it is sensible to not fill the holes (rust?!), cover with tape and then re-insert the original fittings come end of lease?

Was happy enough just using the under mount but my private reg is 6 characters and was looking into getting smaller plates and the mount would be wider than the plate, so investigating vinyl, unless someone knows of a shorter mount where I could re-use holes and no, I don't fancy shortening the existing one :)

...or wouldn't I? Just thought that there must be a load knocking around that I could buy come end of lease and I could hack mine in the meantime...

Last edited:
Apologies for unearthing an old thread - I'm keen to remove and replace the plates on my imminent M3 and was going to attach to the 'underplate' shown further up on the front rather than starting to shave/sand bodywork for a vinyl one (its a lease car) My question is, if I decide to go the vinyl route, whether or not it is sensible to not fill the holes (rust?!), cover with tape and then re-insert the original fittings come end of lease?

Was happy enough just using the under mount but my private reg is 6 characters and was looking into getting smaller plates and the mount would be wider than the plate, so investigating vinyl, unless someone knows of a shorter mount where I could re-use holes and no, I don't fancy shortening the existing one :)

...or wouldn't I? Just thought that there must be a load knocking around that I could buy come end of lease and I could hack mine in the meantime...
the front bumper where you would put the plate is plastic so no rust. I also don't get the "shave" and "sand" ref I just deburred the existing holes. not sure if I filled them with a bit of epoxy putty or not, then just stuck a vinyl plat straight onto the bumper. 18months later no issues.
The back is not very flat under the plate holder so vinyl does not work as well. I just bought a standard plate and stuck it on with 3M padded tape.
Looks great and nothing that could not be undone if needed

Reactions: TesTed
the front bumper where you would put the plate is plastic so no rust. I also don't get the "shave" and "sand" ref I just deburred the existing holes. not sure if I filled them with a bit of epoxy putty or not, then just stuck a vinyl plat straight onto the bumper. 18months later no issues.
The back is not very flat under the plate holder so vinyl does not work as well. I just bought a standard plate and stuck it on with 3M padded tape.
Looks great and nothing that could not be undone if needed
Cheers Jason. Yes, the back looks infinitely more straightforward than the front👍

I've just read 14 pages of this thread and admired many photos....

Conclusions....
1. the stock plate holders are ugly and there are better alternatives.
2. the front plate can easily be replaced by a stick on plate
3. the rear plate holder makes this harder, but a simple unframed plastic plate screwed to the Tesla Mounting box will look better than the OEM box.
4. the Plod don't really care, as long as the ANPR cameras can read the plate.
5. based on the way Alfa Romeo fit plates to the N/S you could do that on the front...
6. As of 2021 there is no need to have a blue EU/GB strip, and the green strip as used by Tesla is optional, but if you go to the EU then a traditional GB plate is required.

When I put my personal/vanity plates on the car the Tesla "boxes" will go in the bin....

Conclusions....
3. the rear plate holder makes this harder, but a simple unframed plastic plate screwed to the Tesla Mounting box will look better than the OEM box.
5. based on the way Alfa Romeo fit plates to the N/S you could do that on the front...
6. As of 2021 there is no need to have a blue EU/GB strip, and the green strip as used by Tesla is optional, but if you go to the EU then a traditional GB plate is required.

When I put my personal/vanity plates on the car the Tesla "boxes" will go in the bin....
On No.3 - unlike the back, it is straight forward to remove the plate holder and just stick the plate straight on

Reactions: Nick77 and Jason71

Conclusions....

Well done for having the patience to read 14 pages ;)

I’ve got both front and rear stick-on plates, and they still look perfect after 20 months. As long as the vinyl is thick enough, the hollow under the rear plate can’t be seen. If I were doing it again I’d fill the hollow with a slab of white tac just so I’m not as paranoid when washing the car… My plates were from Onestopnumberplates.co.uk

Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr
About to venture down this path, I did it with my MS which was blue so the plate stood out on the front. New car is white, so any thoughts on needing a border line to frame the plate or just be all white with black lettering. The few I've seen seem to be a bit of a mixture.

And.. can you get the green strip with GB on it, seems to be one or the other.

I'm in a similar boat, planning to replace stock ones to stick on plates on my M3. As my M3 is Red I really want the side badge background to be neither green nor blue as it looks atrocious. I can get a plate with a black one which looks fantastic as a background to Union Jack.

I've gone through all of the DVLA and .gov pages and documents and apart from the reference that green background is coming I actually cannot see any regs stating the requirements about colours of the flag area background. There is nothing about the blue at all. The colours of the font and background of the plates are described there but the badging seems to be missing).

Does anyone have seen any specific documents or regs about the colours of the badging?