Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those not fancying ordering new plates, I read with interest in one of Jeremy's posts that the factory plates are actually metal (thanks for that JH). This means you can bend them a little and I did a de-frame this afternoon without ordering any new plates. Just some cheapy Halford double sided. I have some 3M VHB I used on my motorhome but it seemed a little drastic so this stuff will do.

It was lot more fun than doing my tax return which I will, of course, leave until 23:59 on 31st January.
D7469B87-C4FE-45CC-8C75-79479DE5DEB0_1_201_a.jpeg
97D30AA4-23C4-4518-BDDF-029D6E0FAA12_1_201_a.jpeg
DFA221B6-5F26-4D63-900C-CA1B4C39E2D6_1_201_a.jpeg
IMG_2625.jpg

[N.B. Cat not included]

For those not fancying ordering new plates, I read with interest in one of Jeremy's posts that the factory plates are actually metal (thanks for that JH). This means you can bend them a little and I did a de-frame this afternoon without ordering any new plates. Just some cheapy Halford double sided. I have some 3M VHB I used on my motorhome but it seemed a little drastic so this stuff will do.

It was lot more fun than doing my tax return which I will, of course, leave until 23:59 on 31st January.View attachment 503806 View attachment 503807 View attachment 503809 View attachment 503810

[N.B. Cat not included]

Inspired me to do this to mine. Thanks!

p.s Tax returns :D please tell me you’re using Xero. So much easier.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Inspired me to do this to mine. Thanks!

p.s Tax returns :D please tell me you’re using Xero. So much easier.
To be honest Adam, the tax bit is pretty easy as I've done little this year and I'm not even registered for VAT as of 6 months into the FY. But I sold a company last year and it's more backtracking any expenditure incurred in the sale that might have a bearing to give top my accountant, which is outside the remit of most financial software. But if I start to work a bit harder I'll be sure to check that out.

Reactions: *Adam
I see you have raised the front plate slightly. Presumably you checked for location of any sensors lurking in front bumper area? I wonder if there was a reason for Tesla mounting lower over the lip?

I suspect we will end up doing what you have done and whilst I like the stick on plates, I would be more concerned about their (or laminated plastic) longevity than metal ones and think yours look just as smart as stick on. I haven't really had a close up look at the metal ones, even though I have a spare set. But hoping that them delaminating due to water ingress will not occur.

I see you have raised the front plate slightly. Presumably you checked for location of any sensors lurking in front bumper area? I wonder if there was a reason for Tesla mounting lower over the lip?

I suspect we will end up doing what you have done and whilst I like the stick on plates, I would be more concerned about their (or laminated plastic) longevity than metal ones and think yours look just as smart as stick on. I haven't really had a close up look at the metal ones, even though I have a spare set. But hoping that them delaminating due to water ingress will not occur.
Didn't check for anything ........ erm.....

• Funny
Reactions: Milky
OK. Been out twice today now and the second time was specifically to check the above. Cruise and Autopilot working fine with no warnings.

Regarding tape on removing.... there is no tape. The placky flappy plate holders from Tesla are screwed on.

Regarding how much tape, well I just covered the back of the plate with 2 long strips of the tape shown in my pictures. It's a lot of tape but I'd rather struggle to remove them (if I ever do) than have someone on, say, a motorbike get a face full of metal number plate. They're definitely going nowhere. Will check the tape doesn't get all mushy in summer if it gets hot but so far, all good.

I'm surprised how much difference it makes to the look of the car in the flesh.

The car looks much better at the rear. it shows off the proportions of it's haunches better. At the front, the design works better. The car looks more nimble and almost like a smaller, better proportioned car just by losing the surround and having it flush.

Let's face it, if you bolted a canoe to the nose, it would be more subtle than the Tesla ones.

The radar sensor is somewhere in the nose, I recall seeing a post (maybe from the US) where someone had fitted a different plate and were having radar related warnings until they moved it again.

Edit:
Here's an example
Where is the front radar on Model 3?
Interesting discussion and thanks for sharing Daverh and probs worth noting that the thread is predominantly American and they have square plates so the top half is already higher. If, as you and the manual say, it’s higher up in the nose cone then this makes more sense. Mine working fine where it is but it definitely is a little higher than the standard Uk one.

predominantly American and they have square plates so the top half is already higher.
Yeah, it's strange to think that some states don't require a front plate.
There's a picture of a 3 with no bumper in that thread showing where it is. If you look at the grey foam in front/under the sensor you can see cutouts that look like they're showing the sensor's field of vision. This would explain why centered plates can still cause problems if they're a bit high.

Also mentioned is that the plates contain a metallic (metallised?) film but I'm not sure if our have that in their contruction - Maybe providing the retrorefelction?

Didn't check for anything ........ erm.....

OK. Been out twice today now and the second time was specifically to check the above. Cruise and Autopilot working fine with no warnings.

There's a picture of a 3 with no bumper in that thread showing where it is. If you look at the grey foam in front/under the sensor you can see cutouts that look like they're showing the sensor's field of vision. This would explain why centered plates can still cause problems if they're a bit high.

Post with image linked here Where is the front radar on Model 3?

I could imagine that it may be possible to install plate such that it protrudes into the cutout reducing field of operation but not cause a warning - I'll see if I can put some more spatial context on that image

It was lot more fun than doing my tax return which I will, of course, leave until 23:59 on 31st January.View attachment 503806 View attachment 503807 View attachment 503809 View attachment 503810

[N.B. Cat not included]
Looks nice, very clean looking.

From looking at the other thread the positioning you’ve used there would not obstruct the radar sensor.

Really dumb question - I assume you’ve also removed the DUAL MOTOR badge too?