Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So. I've stuck on my front plate, but after removing the rear black plastic surround, the indentation in the bodywork is quite large,so was wondering on how pwleople were getting on who have already stuck straight over, does the indentation show much, has it lasted? Or do I go down the route of sticking on an acrylic plate straight to the bodywork without the black surround????

Front looks good though....

So. I've stuck on my front plate, but after removing the rear black plastic surround, the indentation in the bodywork is quite large,so was wondering on how pwleople were getting on who have already stuck straight over, does the indentation show much, has it lasted? Or do I go down the route of sticking on an acrylic plate straight to the bodywork without the black surround????

The rear is fine...until you jet wash it...then it completely breaks up...I'd recommend putting over the existing plate and sticking that on. Or just getting a solid plate for the rear...

I have jet washed the front twice now and the water doesn't penetrate the number plate. Not sure if a commercial jet wash place might though

It probably depends on the thickness of your vinyl plate. Mine has been fine, including after jet washing.

If I were fitting it again, I’d fill in the gap under the rear plate with a slab of Blu-Tak cut to shape.

I just removed the entire plastic frame and plate holder thing at the rear and stuck on a normal rigid plastic plate using 3M VHB pads. The plate ends up pretty flush to the bodywork, and has withstood a couple of jet washes without any problem.

Here's a 'photo (before the car was cleaned (again...):

Rear plate.JPG

So my plate was from proplates and didn't survive a jet wash. I have now got an aluminium plate en route from number1 plates which I will stick on instead...pics if I remember when it arrives
It looks like the plates I got from onestopnumberplates are a bit more durable.

I’ve washed my car many times both by hand and with the power washer and it’s not moved a millimetre!

• Helpful
Reactions: H Mak
Also the plate holders don’t look great either.

Yes especially on white cars, those plate holders are massive and stand out quite a bit..

with the front plate i found a heat gun was needed to shape the stick on plate to the contour of the bumper, but easy to do.

I will stick on my rear over the original plate and then stick this directly to the car removing the black plastic....

I finally got round to the rear so thought i would put a couple of pics for those interested.

I thought the indentation was too much and didn't want to risk just a stick on, so as i already had the stick-on i decided to stick this over my metal plate supplied by TESLA (as also changed to private plate), as the metal plate seemed thinner than acrylic and then stuck this metal plate directly onto the car, but also used a thin self adhesive 3M tape rather than the foam type.

20200112_153223.jpg
20200112_153239.jpg

The aluminium plate is flat. Is the car boot flat as well or do you have to bend the plate to the contour of the body panel?
We have to slam the boot down quite hard to make sure it shuts all the time and i am worried that one day it may just fall off if sticky taped on.
The original plate holder is really crap. Not sure why tesla bothered. Bet it is more expensive than the standard plastic affair. Tesla, save yourself some money.

If you use decent double sided tape, like the 3M VHB stuff (genuine, not the cheap copies of it sold on the like of eBay) then the problem won't be the plate falling off, it will be getting it off when/if you need to.

Took me half an hour with a hot air gun and various plastic trim removing levers to prise the plate off the back off my last car before I sold it. Once it's stuck, that VHB stuff remains stuck. It's used to hold trim on to a lot of cars, so is designed to be a pretty permanent bond.

Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
Same. It's terrible, looks like garbage
And looks ugly at night. Asked the Mrs to drive the other night while I followed in our second car. The plate holder blocks the plate number lights.....it just looks ugly. Don't ask what I did when we got home.....I took it of and stuck the plate on with 3M all round. Car looks much more like a new car now and no more rattling when I close the boot.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Can you request Tesla not fit these for delivery or would it be pretty much impossible to actually get that message across for a single car?

I presume these holders get drilled into the front and rear of the car? How do you remind them if they’re fastened on?

Can you request Tesla not fit these for delivery or would it be pretty much impossible to actually get that message across for a single car?

I presume these holders get drilled into the front and rear of the car? How do you remind them if they’re fastened on?
I very much doubt you’d manage to get Tesla to not fit the stock plate holders. Communication isn’t a strong point.

If you read through this very thread there is all the information you need about the fixings and replacing the plates.