Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll see if I can put some more spatial context on that image

Image is far from perfect due to different angles, but I think position of plate and radar is close enough to warrant further investigation/enquiries. It would certainly explain why the standard plates sit much lower.

Unlikely to be an issue with the stick on plates, or the rear. I would imagine them to be transparent to the radar. Which is a shame as I like this solution.

upload_2020-1-26_8-3-35.png

Last edited:
For those not fancying ordering new plates, I read with interest in one of Jeremy's posts that the factory plates are actually metal (thanks for that JH). This means you can bend them a little and I did a de-frame this afternoon without ordering any new plates. Just some cheapy Halford double sided. I have some 3M VHB I used on my motorhome but it seemed a little drastic so this stuff will do.

It was lot more fun than doing my tax return which I will, of course, leave until 23:59 on 31st January.
I assume that is a padded tape you have used? Hard to tell from the picture.

The green backed 3M tape pictured is padded, but only minimally. I’d say it’s maybe 1-1.5mm tops.

It is very strong. I used the same stuff to stick two plastic plates on my previous car and it took some effort to get them off again before I sold it.

For those not fancying ordering new plates, I read with interest in one of Jeremy's posts that the factory plates are actually metal (thanks for that JH). This means you can bend them a little and I did a de-frame this afternoon without ordering any new plates. Just some cheapy Halford double sided. I have some 3M VHB I used on my motorhome but it seemed a little drastic so this stuff will do.

It was lot more fun than doing my tax return which I will, of course, leave until 23:59 on 31st January.

[N.B. Cat not included]

Hi, would you be kind enough to provide measurements for placement front and back please? I’m going to do the same. Many thanks.

Is there a recommended way of removing the existing plates from the Tesla carriers without risking snapping the plastic clips from the edges? They look as if they might break off if prised away from the plate - and I might want to re-use the carrier.

Pull off the "tesla.com" strip form the bottom, plate slides out easily and then it is screwed in...simple once you know how

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Hi, would you be kind enough to provide measurements for placement front and back please? I’m going to do the same. Many thanks.
There’s no science UrbanSplash. My other half had commandeered the tape measure (it turned up later in her studio) so on the rear I used a random spade cutter from my tools to make a uniform distance to the top. Not very scientific but works. At the front, there’s a natural position for it where the curve increases. If you leave the outer side of the backing tape protector on, you can experiment and mark before peeling it off.

in both cases, I marked the centre of the plate with an erasable marker for alignment. (In the absence of the tape measure, I used a some string cut to the length of the plate then folded in half to mark the position. I told you it wasn’t a very high tech install!

Maybe keeping an eye to see if the car ever react to vehicles 2 cars in front? Apparently the radar can react to cars ahead of the car immediately in front as it can 'see' beneath vehicles. Thats apparently what caused the Tesla to react early in the widely viewed Dutch autobahn incident from Hans Noordsij where his Model S reacted to a stationary vehicle even though it was visually obscured by the vehicle in front.

Maybe keeping an eye to see if the car ever react to vehicles 2 cars in front? Apparently the radar can react to cars ahead of the car immediately in front as it can 'see' beneath vehicles. Thats apparently what caused the Tesla to react early in the widely viewed Dutch autobahn incident from Hans Noordsij where his Model S reacted to a stationary vehicle even though it was visually obscured by the vehicle in front.

Will do.

Indeed, you often see the edges of a vehicle in front of the car ahead represented on the screen display so presumably this is the radar picking it up.

Having applied stick on plates front and rear, one corner of the rear plate has come unstuck.
This is probably due to my shoddy installation but does anyone know what adhesive I could use to restick it?
It's only about 5mm that is bent up slightly but enough to bug me.

If you request tesla to make up a set of personal plates, does anyone know if they can do it without the blue GB part on the left? I'll be looking at removing the black surround when mine arrives, much prefer the cleaner look.