Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.

And voice control IS a solution to “poor interface design. A great one. One that Elon said years ago is a better way. I’d rather have no interface if it could just be spoken to normally.

Voice is where it’s all going.
Spoken like a true fanboy. Numerous people have posted why voice control is not a solution. For those who are slow on the uptake:
  • No official list of voice commands is available, just random complications that people have figured out
  • Voice commands have been removed by Tesla in the past
  • Voice commands are not consistent
  • Many obvious commands don't work ('turn on headlights' isn't available)
  • Voice commands require pretty strict syntax. Often times getting close doesn't matter
  • Voice commands are not reliable when there's a lot of background noise (if the defroster is on in my car they're useless)
  • Voice commands disturb others in the car (i.e. sleeping spouse)
  • Voice commands can't be used while talking on the phone
  • Voice commands interrupt music/pod casts
  • Voice commands don't work well if you have an accent
  • Voice commands don't work if you can't speak
  • Voice commands interrupt conversations you may be having with a passenger
  • Voice commands don't work if you don't have internet access
  • Voice commands don't work in all languages
So yeah, clearly voice commands are a perfect solution to incompetent UI design. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

And voice control IS a solution to “poor interface design. A great one. One that Elon said years ago is a better way. I’d rather have no interface if it could just be spoken to normally.

Voice is where it’s all going.
Yeah, it's so elegant when you are driving at night in light rain and your wife is trying to sleep in the passenger seat. Constant voice commands to adjust the wipers up and down, turn on the defoger, etc. Please, even if the voice commands worked perfectly they would still be clunky, slow, disruptive, and annoying. I don't mind them being there for those that like them, but I have less then zero interest in using them for stuff like that. Great for entering a destination address. Beyond idiotic for wiper or climate controls.

And voice control IS a solution to “poor interface design. A great one.
I cannot count the number of times that voice control just doesn't work. Mainly due to not having connectivity. Which even happens in town after the car has been parked for a while due to another bug (it can take several minutes to re-gain LTE connection after parking at Walgreens for 5 minutes).

I cannot count the number of times that voice control just doesn't work. Mainly due to not having connectivity. Which even happens in town after the car has been parked for a while due to another bug (it can take several minutes to re-gain LTE connection after parking at Walgreens for 5 minutes).
Voice recognition hardly works in on any device, let alone Tesla's bumbling implementation of it. IMO, Siri is terrible and Hey Google is equally bad. Alexa is slightly better but the bar is pretty low. Tesla's voice recognition requires an initial button press, which makes it even less useful than comparable systems.

For voice recognition to be useful in a car it has to be 99.99% accurate. If I ask Alexa to turn off my TV and it fails, I just ask it until it works. That's not going to cut it when driving a car.

1649465024281.png

I feel super bad. That horse was walking across the street at just the same moment that I was looking down to turn on my windshield defogger. I tried to be quick, but it took several glances back and forth while spearing for the buttons.

BAM... it all happened so fast I didn't even see the horse until after I made contact. To make things worse, then that guy walks up and starts beating the dead horse with his stick.

If only I still had v10, Butter Nuts would still be alive. Butterstuff. I love Butterstuff. Poor girl.

Many people have touted voice commands as the solution but they are essentially an unreliable, imperfect workaround. In addition, there is no ‘official’ list of voice commands, Tesla has removed voice commands in the past and there are many, many intuitive commands that just don’t work or don’t work unless you use the exact wording.

Bottom line: voice commands are not a solution or an excuse for poor interface design.

When people talk about the voice commands in a Tesla (not the same as Google by any means) it reminds me of an old Dave Berry comment about cell phones in the early days, "They are those things you yell into, 'What? What?'"

So why can't Tesla just let Google provide their voice command software and be done with it? Are they afraid someone is going to ask, "Google - Was buying a Tesla a good idea?" Maybe they don't want people to know the answer to that one...!

Spoken like a true fanboy. Numerous people have posted why voice control is not a solution. For those who are slow on the uptake:
  • No official list of voice commands is available, just random complications that people have figured out
  • Voice commands require pretty strict syntax. Often times getting close doesn't matter
  • Voice commands are not reliable when there's a lot of background noise (if the defroster is on in my car they're useless)
So yeah, clearly voice commands are a perfect solution to incompetent UI design. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but other than that, what's wrong with voice commands?

My 2019 Model 3 with full autopilot navigation no longer works. I am accumulating annoying software bigs that are not corrected.

First it was the phone connect. When I enter the car, 9t no longer connects to my iPhone. And if a door is closed, it disconnects again.

Also when I close the door, the screen goes blank. I have to touch it to turn the car on.

When I reverse or drive at slow speeds, the car suddenly lurches into park and jerks my neck. This is new with the most recent update. Apparently if the seat belt is engaged, it doesn’t happen. It is for safety but I cannot wear the seatbelt and look behind me in my very tight garage. Ouch!

Worst is the autopilot that no longer works. Intermittently the autopilot immediately turns red and blares urgent need to turn the wheel. But it does not recognize a firm or soft wheel turn. If too firm, it turns off autopilot. If not firm enough, it turn off autopilot. Very annoying. This feature worked for 2 years, but no longer. And that is why I bought this car.

My Tesla is far worse today than when I bought it 2 years ago, the software has deteriorated.
Am I the only one?

My 2019 Model 3 with full autopilot navigation no longer works. I am accumulating annoying software bigs that are not corrected.

First it was the phone connect. When I enter the car, 9t no longer connects to my iPhone. And if a door is closed, it disconnects again.

Also when I close the door, the screen goes blank. I have to touch it to turn the car on.

When I reverse or drive at slow speeds, the car suddenly lurches into park and jerks my neck. This is new with the most recent update. Apparently if the seat belt is engaged, it doesn’t happen. It is for safety but I cannot wear the seatbelt and look behind me in my very tight garage. Ouch!

Worst is the autopilot that no longer works. Intermittently the autopilot immediately turns red and blares urgent need to turn the wheel. But it does not recognize a firm or soft wheel turn. If too firm, it turns off autopilot. If not firm enough, it turn off autopilot. Very annoying. This feature worked for 2 years, but no longer. And that is why I bought this car.

My Tesla is far worse today than when I bought it 2 years ago, the software has deteriorated.
Am I the only one?

Check out some other discussions on the latest updates. No, you’re not the only one.

I’ve had my Tesla for over 2 years and it’s so far been a great experience, even with some poor decisions like v11 that I can let slide. Love the car. But forcing all Teslas to go vision-only before it’s ready, literally impairing the reliability and capability of autopilot compared to how well it’s worked since we bought the cars, is nothing short of a gut punch. A total “screw you” to customers.

I know vision only is and has been the goal. I get it. But it’s not as good as vision + radar yet. Forcing people who already gave Tesla tens of thousands of dollars to worsen their experience just so they can have an easier job working with one software stack is straight up deceitful. No other reason would make sense. Still shocked they pulled this so prematurely.

At the very least this should have been an opt-in/out option for people it affects.

Reactions: sleepydoc

i struggle hard with voice control due to my german accent. Its not even that strong. :(

Reactions: sleepydoc
i struggle hard with voice control due to my german accent. Its not even that strong. :(
We have these voice communicator devices called Voceras that they make us use at work. I have a coworker from Turkey that speaks English just fine but has a strong accent and I feel for her every time she has to use them - even logging out of the device by saying "log out" is a struggle. I have them struggle with my 'accent' at times (I've lived suburban Minneapolis almost my entire life so my pronunciation is about as generic as you can get.)

Fortunately Tesla's voice recognition is somewhat better but it's still not perfect.