Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting(5 mo) for replacement battery pack....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likewise, our pack is expected back soon. I'm told it just needs to be shipped from Fremont. No complaints from us, either.

It's good timing, as we'll need to make the drive to our Service Center anyway to pick up a new Wall Connector (couldn't order it from the online store because the store sub-site fails to validate our address).

As for an upward trend on pack failures, I doubt it, as I have the impression that the pack failure rate is/was higher with the earliest packs, and that it has improved with the various revisions of the battery pack over time.

• Informative
Reactions: wcfinvader
I wonder how many 'loaner' packs they have for these situations. I also wonder if there is an upward trend on pack failures and what it may be.

Yeah, I'm getting curious too. There seem to have been quite a few reports of busted packs in the past two months.

As for an upward trend on pack failures, I doubt it, as I have the impression that the pack failure rate is/was higher with the earliest packs, and that it has improved with the various revisions of the battery pack over time.

Well, I'm a Sig and I've lived through the dreaded failed contactor experience. I remember these failures well. This is something entirely different. Likely failing modules or bricks. And there have been quite a few reports recently so it is concerning.

At least you guys have a loaner pack. My S 85 battery just died this week. They have no idea at my local SC when they might be able to get a loaner pack in.

How many miles do you have on the odo?

Last edited:
Well, I'm a Sig and I've lived through the dreaded failed contactor experience. I remember these failures well. This is something entirely different. Likely failing modules or bricks. And there have been quite a few reports recently so it is concerning.
We were told that the failure on our car's original 2012 'A' pack this past January was due to moisture intrusion. I'm guessing there was a bad seal somewhere. It also happens that we had had a lot of rain and snow just prior.

Just got word today I am joining the replacement pack group. My car has worked and generally charged just fine, so was a surprise. The only issue I was having is home charging that would shut off every once in a while. I assumed it was a bad portable charger or new wiring that was done in my home. I hope I get a loaner pack as the 75 loaner I got is nice, but once you've gotten used to P85DL it is hard to go back. If they had a P100D I could make due with that :) but here in the Bay Area getting a Tesla loaner is very difficult.

Update: still waiting for a replacement pack, almost one year. After numerous calls, asking for an update, Tesla service said they might be able to upgrade the pack via a firmware change. I said, I don't think so!! Its been two weeks since he Service was going to get back to me. I just want my original pack back, fixed of course.
Anyone else had there loaner pack replaced to their satisfaction.?

Honestly, what's the big deal if you have a loaner pack? That's miles not being logged on your battery pack. I understand wanting your car instead of a loaner CAR, but it seems having a loaner pack would be a benefit, not a detriment.