Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still worth getting a Model 3 if Electricity costs more than Gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beating this topic to death but:
PVwatts, 20 degree panel angle, 4kW system, San Diego
180 degrees 6438kWh (South)
270 degrees 5745kWh (West)
300 degrees 5245kWh (WNW)
Much less loss than one might expect. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to plug the hourly data in to the SDG&E TOU rates. haha.
Not that bad -- just look at the generation after 4pm (when it is worth ~ 2x). You will not like the results for the 20% penalty.

But the solstice is June 21st. You still have July though October when it sets further and further south. Plus the evening sun is lower and production drops quickly even for west facing panels. You are reducing production significantly for 8 hours of the day to gain slightly for the last 4.

And all winter NW will give you significantly less production. My 270W west facing panels put out less per day than my 240W south facing panels in the winter. Annual total production is also important.

A Powerwall (especially if you can get the California SGIP rebate and federal text credits) might be a better long term solution. It makes the system mostly immune to shifting TOU hours. Eventually they could change to 5-9 or even 6-9 and then even west facing panels will not be able to offset enough credits. A Powerwall or two should be able to offset 100% of the peak rates no mater when they are. Plus for any peak rate hours when the sun is up, the Powerwall can cover your usage and 100% of the solar production can go to the grid for peak rate credit.
You're right that there is always regulatory risk. A Powerwall may be the way to go in the future. My main point is that without storage the TOU rates change the optimal panel orientation. Many solar installer are probably not doing the exact calculations.

My main point is that without storage the TOU rates change the optimal panel orientation
I have said the same, but there is not a lot of generation to be had after 4pm, optimized panels or not.
As a guess, I think it makes more sense to optimize collection and time shift use. I would start cooling down my house from 2pm to remove the stored load and then run on low power in the summer from 4pm until it was cool enough to open windows.

After all, this discussion is pretty much about A/C

Reactions: liuping
wow...no way would i stick with ev if electric costs more then gas...no way! whats the point?
Awesome performance?
Reducing your carbon footprint and air pollution?
The ability to fill your tank at home every night and never visiting a gas station again?
The ability to add solar and significantly reduce your electric costs?

Saving money is not the primary reason to go EV for me and most of the people I've talked to.

Do you have a Supercharger near you? I didn't look through the whole thread, but my plan is still the same. Have the same issue, really. So, my plan is to just charge up at a nearby Supercharger at $0.20 whenever I drain a lot, and just do minor top ups at home. Based on where I live compared to Superchargers, it's pretty much the exact same distance as the gas station I normally go to.

Awesome performance?
Reducing your carbon footprint and air pollution?
The ability to fill your tank at home every night and never visiting a gas station again?
The ability to add solar and significantly reduce your electric costs?

Saving money is not the primary reason to go EV for me and most of the people I've talked to.
i get all that but ev styling and pricing is just too limited if the case is electric is more expensive then gas.

if the model 3 was 30k and the s like 50k then it would more reasonable to consider(if electric was more then gas) but untill like a few more companies release ev's and i mean cool looking/stylin and fast enough ev's then the choice is harder for people who dont make over 40k a year.
I mean lets face it teslas are for more upper class breadwinners-125-300k a year people. Sure some will chime in about being on a fixed income and retired or only making 30-40k a year and having a tesla but that is RARE. If your single maybe its easier because no kids and mauybe no mortgage and such but overall if electric is more then gas people will put that as number 1 over range anxiety for sure.

if the model 3 was 30k and the s like 50k then it would more reasonable to consider(if electric was more then gas) but untill like a few more companies release ev's and i mean cool looking/stylin and fast enough ev's then the choice is harder for people who dont make over 40k a year.
If you are making $40k a year, you really should be in the used car market and the Model 3 has not reached you yet. Pretty soon though :)

All I know is that our total electricity costs went down when we got our Model X and switched to PG&E's EV rate. We have solar and keep our AC off during the day. I really can't imagine any scenario where powering an EV with electricity would cost more than gas, not even close.

Reactions: EinSV
Not that bad -- just look at the generation after 4pm (when it is worth ~ 2x). You will not like the results for the 20% penalty.
Ok. It appears that I am completely wrong. Ran the hourly calculations.
180 degrees (South) Peak production: 0.26MWh Non Peak: 6.2MWh
300 degrees (WNW) Peak production: 0.38MWh Non Peak 4.9MWh
Another factor that I also thought would make a big difference is morning cloud cover. It only makes a slight difference, 190 degrees is optimal for total production.

My MATLAB code:
f = fopen('pvwatts_hourly-180.csv')
for n=1:19
fgetl(f);
end
C = textscan(f,'"%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f","%f"');
month = C{1};
hour = C{3};
wh = C{11};
peak_wh=0;
for n=1:length(month)
if month(n) >= 6 && month(n) <= 10
if hour(n) >= 15 && hour(n) < 20 %peak hour 4-9pm June 1st - October 31st + daylight savings time!
peak_wh = peak_wh+wh(n);
end
end
end
peak_kwh=peak_wh*5/7*1/1e3 % peak kwh is only on week days
non_peak_kwh = sum(wh)/1e3-peak_kwh

Ok. It appears that I am completely wrong. Ran the hourly calculations.
180 degrees (South) Peak production: 0.26MWh Non Peak: 6.2MWh
300 degrees (WNW) Peak production: 0.38MWh Non Peak 4.9MWh
Thanks for posting.
I also guessed wrong and was surprised by the results when I dumped the data into a spreadsheet last week. It also didn't help to optimize the panel angle -- that just wrecked havoc with earlier in the day collection. That said, a SW orientation at 45 degrees might be worthwhile. Time shifting so that PV covers 2pm to 5pm is a big chunk of the a/c load.

Last edited:
This is definitely where hybrids have advantage. Switch to the different energy depending on the price.

But...
I cannot give up electric range feeling. When I gave up my Volt and hated fighting for public chargers, I had no regret because electric drive was what I wanted all the time.

Bottom line, unless the price is ridiculously high, I will still pay for high electric bill.

I am addicted to the EV and going back to ICE is scaring me.

• Love
Reactions: McRat and Saghost
wow...no way would i stick with ev if electric costs more then gas...no way! whats th point?

EV drive is a luxury feature. Why bother having air conditioning? It reduces economy. Some luxury features are so good you just hate not having them. Electromotive propulsion is one of them.
The fact that EVs are also cheaper to operate per mile for most folk is just icing on the cake, not the fundamental purpose.
You will save money buying a used economy car.
The leading brand of EVs is also one of the more expensive brands.

EVs refuel while you sleep. Every morning you have enough 'gas' to get to work.
Far quicker throttle response in traffic. It's like holding your RPM at 6000 at all times in an ICE.
Smoother, quieter engine.
More fun, less stress in traffic.
HOV access in some states.
No smog checks where applicable.

Advantages for ICE cars:
Still the track weapon of choice.
Fast refueling.
Price.
Variety of models and sizes.

Wow - so some person named @DrivingRockies rates my posts disagree (no biggie) and his/her profile says this when clicked on:

Tesla Motors Club - Error
This member limits who may view their full profile.

No only to they stealth disagree with no explanation - they won't ket you see their activity here. CRAZY!

I also got a disagree from @DrivingRockies on the post below, which is strange since solar plus storage in San Diego seems like the smart/logical thing to do for many people given the crazy price of electricity and great solar resource.

I guess there are some folks on TMC who are just big fans of burning more fossil fuels.

One other option you may want to consider -- given the combination of a great solar resource and ridiculous electricity prices in San Diego it might be worth looking into the costs of adding some solar panels and storage (e.g. Powerwall). Then you can drive on sunshine and largely cut out both SDG&E and the oil companies.

I also got a disagree from @DrivingRockies on the post below, which is strange since solar plus storage in San Diego seems like the smart/logical thing to do for many people given the crazy price of electricity and great solar resource.

I guess there are some folks on TMC who are just big fans of burning more fossil fuels.
Trolls or shorters. Whatever. If they can’t participate, they should be ignored.

Reactions: EinSV
states dont really reward you for going ev.They charge you a fee every year and say its for roads because you are not paying at the pump for it. The real only advantage of ice over ev is variety of choices and price ranges. Sure its nice not to use any oils/gas and its cleaner but still too new to know what maintinence costs- battery hold up in 10 yrs will be- electric motor issues dow the road? Computer rf possible side effects? I mean its already coming out that cell phones and cell towers pose threats to humans at certqain exposure levels.

Ev reliability is still uncharted territory