Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one that is confused on how the driver went through the windshield in an accident? Shouldn't the air bags have stopped him from going out the windshield. Or if the airbags didn't deploy, then why not? Not to mention that the driver wouldn't have gone through the windshield with an impact that splits the car in half, that would most likely be a side impact.

Airbags help you if you are belted in the car. He flew through the windshield so they couldn't do their job.

Am I the only one that is confused on how the driver went through the windshield in an accident? Shouldn't the air bags have stopped him from going out the windshield. Or if the airbags didn't deploy, then why not? Not to mention that the driver wouldn't have gone through the windshield with an impact that splits the car in half, that would most likely be a side impact.

Aren't airbags designed to deploy from the sensors in front, side being hit? If this car was sliced in half by the pole, the airbags would most likely not got off. As there was not a front impact to the car, only after it landed on the honda.
And I'm guessing. , as someone else stated, he didn't go through windshield, but "left" the car after hitting the pole and the resulting spinning motion of both sections.

Aren't airbags designed to deploy from the sensors in front, side being hit? If this car was sliced in half by the pole, the airbags would most likely not got off. As there was not a front impact to the car, only after it landed on the honda.
And I'm guessing. , as someone else stated, he didn't go through windshield, but "left" the car after hitting the pole and the resulting spinning motion of both sections.

The photo posted of the screen still illuminated on page 2 of this thread doesn't seem to show front airbags deployed.
Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14 - Page 2

Also another photo posted earlier of the car on a flatbed clearly shows a human-sized hole in the drivers-side front windshield.
Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14 - Page 22

It is so laughable that a reporter in the NBC video says, "the driver had died but paramedics brought him back to life". What planet does he live on.

While the other reporter says that no one was killed.

Earth.

Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Problems of definition)

Seems some earthlings tend to call it bringing someone back from death if their heart stopped and they stopped breathing then CPR revived them.

Last edited:
I think the car they stole was one that was ready for delivery the next morning. When I picked up my car a few months ago, all the cars that were waiting for delivery had both keys on the dash. I'm willing to bet they broke into the delivery bay and figured out that if you push the handle the car would unlock. Since the fobs were in the car the handles would auto present when pressed (I know this because I forgot my fob in the car once). It probably took them a few more minutes to figure out how to "start" it.

Based on everything I've read I think that's what happened. The delivery bays for that SC are the first thing you see when you walk (or break in) from the street. Everything else is in the back and behind more doors, fences and garages. The delivery bay cars would be by far the easiest to steal. So I think that's what happened

Some who have analyzed the video and photos report a regular CA license plate (not a dealer plate and not a blank), thus the vehicle was not a loaner/test drive Model S or new vehicle, and more likely a regular owner's car that was in for service. Service centers probably do not lock up keys like new car dealers. Anyone have facts and not speculation???

- - - Updated - - -

Side impact...no front airbag deployment. And I did not think that airbags prevent you from being ejected, and it is always assumed that airbags work in conjunction with seat belts (not a replacement for them).

Just a correction here - two cars hitting each other head-on at 80 mph is equivalent to hitting a brick wall at 80 mph (assuming the wall does not move) - Newton's 3rd law of physics.

Yes, but the acceleration forces are what cause injuries, and that depends on the energy dissipation of the crush zones in one or both cars. As we know, the Model S excels in this department. Other smaller cars, not so much.

As an absurdly extreme thought experiment, if two moving cars crash head on, but each has a (say) 500 foot long energy-dissipating nose, the forces felt by the drivers will be negligible.

An immovable brick wall is quite a different story.

Perhaps it is the human body that suddenly accelerates at the time of impact in a crash, which is the force Vger is referring to?

In a car crash, the human body is subjected to the same sudden deceleration as the car body. The crumple zones of the car mitigate that deceleration rate to some degree, but not always enough since the human body is relatively frail and incapable of accommodating sudden velocity changes without incurring significant injuries.

When genus homo was evolving on the African savannah it probably never exceeded speeds of about 15mph unless someone lept off a cliff, a behavior that typically resulted in that individuals genes not being passed on to subsequent generations.

Hence our fear of heights. ;-)