Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional anti-theft measures? (PINs etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, and I will be suprised if it does move up on the priority list. I wish it had never happened, but its not a manufacturer's design flaw that caused it to be stolen. Has any other manufacturer suddenly changed the way the secure their vehicles and prevent it from all possiblities of being stolen after the first couple of thefts? I don't think so.

I never said it was a design flaw. One of the best things about the Model S is the ability for Tesla to push out new features via software upgrades. This would just be another software upgrade, specifically an anti-theft measure. Again nothing different than what is offered via On-Star. I'd also like to point out that Tesla isn't "any other manufacture" and for good reason.

I personally think the ability to "stop" the car in someway remotely would be a desirable feature. The car is already difficult to steal; this would give added peace of mind in instances where the fob is stolen, and hopefully help prevent incidents like this one.

If a fob/pin or biometric feature was added even as an option for some and not all, today, there's going to be a burden imposed on TM Ownership Experience. And it will continue to increase with each Tesla sold.

How is it going to work? Will the car be required to access the TM server to validate it’s the right PIN? And how long is an acceptable wait? And when the wait is not acceptable, we will be back complaining about that.

How many owners a day will forget their PIN? The burden falls on TM

How will TM OE verify the owner/driver to reset a PIN? (This adds more complexity to the TM database for each owner.)

And when the verification method fails to work where the passcode at TM does not match what they owner says, then the owner's wife is stranded in the parking lot many miles from home? What then? Then that owner will be on the forum complaining how TM messed up and left his wife stranded.

There will always be some knucklehead that will not like using a PIN and will tape their PIN to the dash on a post'em note. When that car’s stolen, people will want the feature expanded to protect us from ourselves.

I'm not unhappy with the current system, so I will not be advocating for change.
But if you want change, don't post it on the forum and complain when it isn't made available.

There's no pattern to indicate that TM checks the forum to harvest ideas that they have not already thought should be added to the cars.

You want a feature added? Then write up a justification for your feature request and send it to Ownership Experience.

I have faith that TM will add features (their ideas or maybe owners’ ideas) as they come up on the priority list. But I don’t believe everything everyone wants from adaptive cruise control, valet mode, teenager mode, automatic speed reduction when sensing car ahead, 8 track tape and kitchen sink.

Recorded during one of Elon’s town hall’s someone asked why the car didn’t come with valet mode. George Blankenship answered that if they had developed the software for every feature currently available on every other modern automobile before they delivered the first Model S, they would not be delivering cars for years.

Well $500 phones are getting features such as PIN access, biometric access and remote wipe. People understand this. Sure you can find someone who will complain about anything but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be added.

Last edited:
If a fob/pin or biometric feature was added even as an option for some and not all, today, there's going to be a burden imposed on TM Ownership Experience. And it will continue to increase with each Tesla sold.

How is it going to work? Will the car be required to access the TM server to validate it’s the right PIN? And how long is an acceptable wait? And when the wait is not acceptable, we will be back complaining about that.

How many owners a day will forget their PIN? The burden falls on TM

How will TM OE verify the owner/driver to reset a PIN? (This adds more complexity to the TM database for each owner.)

And when the verification method fails to work where the passcode at TM does not match what they owner says, then the owner's wife is stranded in the parking lot many miles from home? What then? Then that owner will be on the forum complaining how TM messed up and left his wife stranded.

There will always be some knucklehead that will not like using a PIN and will tape their PIN to the dash on a post'em note. When that car’s stolen, people will want the feature expanded to protect us from ourselves.

I'm not unhappy with the current system, so I will not be advocating for change.
But if you want change, don't post it on the forum and complain when it isn't made available.

There's no pattern to indicate that TM checks the forum to harvest ideas that they have not already thought should be added to the cars.

You want a feature added? Then write up a justification for your feature request and send it to Ownership Experience.

I have faith that TM will add features (their ideas or maybe owners’ ideas) as they come up on the priority list. But I don’t believe everything everyone wants from adaptive cruise control, valet mode, teenager mode, automatic speed reduction when sensing car ahead, 8 track tape and kitchen sink.

Recorded during one of Elon’s town hall’s someone asked why the car didn’t come with valet mode. George Blankenship answered that if they had developed the software for every feature currently available on every other modern automobile before they delivered the first Model S, they would not be delivering cars for years.

I can only assume this is directed at me as we have been exchanging comments.

First I would like to point out that I am not suggesting a pin. In fact, if you read my previous posts I specifically say that that is not what I want and that I merely think that a way to stop the car, if stolen, would be desirable.

Secondly, I am not complaining. I am simply speculating and voicing my opinion, which I believe is one of the points of these forums.

Thirdly, working in IT, I fully understand Elon's point that you paraphrase. However, no where did he say they would stop adding feature, on the contrary, they plan on doing the opposite.

And lastly, they do read these forums and take into account comments and suggestions made by the owners. They may not always act on those comments or suggestions but they do listen. After all we are their best usability testers, and who else other than owners, can help identify truly helpful features to add to or improve on in the Model S.

W H Y ?

Why chasing a car who has Built-In realtime GPS monitoring (like Tesla, or other OnStar type of service)?

So what? It is easy to locate the car, and it is easy to disable the car after the car have been stopped, so the driver cannot re-start the car.

I remember this OnStar advertisement where a driver left his/her car keys inside a car, and call OnStar to open the door.

Any way, in the case of the Tesla, after about 200 miles the car would have ran out of juice.

It would be then impossible to recharge the car if declared as stolen? right?

About the store where the car was stolen, I am sure that there was some kind of video surveillance to identify the robber.

Even though if the robber was wearing a mask, there is no reason to risk innocent lives?

So WHY chasing a stolen car?

Liz G, Sincerely, it was not directed at you. Just my thoughts on the entire subject.

I'm just saying that George was trying to help us understand that at some point they rolled out the car even if it did not have all the bells and whistles that everyone would want. It was a work in progress.

I'm also saying that if we want something we have to ask for it by formally requesting it, not hint to it as 'gee it would be nice to have a remote shutoff switch".

Last edited:
Blue or Black Ink?

PIN to start it? PIN to stop it? PIN to lock it? Come on, don't throw something out like that then hide.

How do you know there are 2400 or so?

funny post Akikiki, but I guess you didn't read my signature. I should say I don't know that it is 2,400 Teslas, but presumably at least all 500 or so 1.5 Roadsters, and maybe all 2,400 Roadsters.

there's a PIN. you pretty much need to set a PIN number initially (or it's advisable to get it from the prior owner if buying a used Roadster), but you never have to use it. if you choose to use the option, the PIN is required to start and drive the vehicle.

funny post Akikiki, but I guess you didn't read my signature. I should say I don't know that it is 2,400 Teslas, but presumably at least all 500 or so 1.5 Roadsters, and maybe all 2,400 Roadsters.

there's a PIN. you pretty much need to set a PIN number initially (or it's advisable to get it from the prior owner if buying a used Roadster), but you never have to use it. if you choose to use the option, the PIN is required to start and drive the vehicle.

Yes, meant to be funny. Pleased you saw that.

No, I didn't read. My bad.

Thanks

Well $500 phones are getting features such as PIN access, biometric access and remote wipe. People understand this. Sure you can find someone who will complain about anything but that doesn't mean it should be added.

Agree here and I have written 'ownership' about a PIN. It was in the context of a 'valet' mode, but it still applies. TM has already established a precedent for people choosing certain features: Latest example: Air suspension, where you have to choose auto lowering at a certain speed and TM has another step where you 'accept' that this could lead to increasing the possibility of hitting road debris.

Yes, someone will complain (maybe me) that the car 'locked up' or I forgot my PIN (old brain) but I, for one, feel that the choice of using a PIN to access several features of the car would be a good idea: Valet mode; speed limiter; and even to 'start' the car. Use it or don't: Give us the choice.

Agree here and I have written 'ownership' about a PIN. It was in the context of a 'valet' mode, but it still applies. TM has already established a precedent for people choosing certain features: Latest example: Air suspension, where you have to choose auto lowering at a certain speed and TM has another step where you 'accept' that this could lead to increasing the possibility of hitting road debris.

Yes, someone will complain (maybe me) that the car 'locked up' or I forgot my PIN (old brain) but I, for one, feel that the choice of using a PIN to access several features of the car would be a good idea: Valet mode; speed limiter; and even to 'start' the car. Use it or don't: Give us the choice.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind having to enter a PIN to access some of the cars features. If some owners don't want it, they have the option of not activating it.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind having to enter a PIN to access some of the cars features. If some owners don't want it, they have the option of not activating it.
They could, but if the car has the option and it's not activated, there could be insurance complications. Breaking into a Tesla SC or Store is going to be a rare event in any case, so the risk posed by not activating the PIN is low, but you don't really want it to happen to your car.

If I was implementing it, I'd do it by limiting the car's speed to 10 mph if the PIN isn't entered. That would remove most of the inconvenience factor (driveway shuffle, parking lot maneuvering, moving from a B to A Supercharger, etc.).

They could, but if the car has the option and it's not activated, there could be insurance complications. Breaking into a Tesla SC or Store is going to be a rare event in any case, so the risk posed by not activating the PIN is low, but you don't really want it to happen to your car.

If I was implementing it, I'd do it by limiting the cars speed to 10mph if the PIN isn't entered. That would remove most of the inconvenience factor (driveway shuffle, parking lot maneuvering, moving from a B to A Supercharger, etc.).

That part in red would be fine with me. No joyrider is going to want to take a car that will only go 10 mph

I agree with Bonnie. When I had my Roadster I think I used the valet option once or twice in four years. I only occasionally have a my car valeted but I ended up forgetting about the option. I am also high on the trust side of the scale, very low on the fear side.

Speaking as a Roadster owner who does have a valet PIN option already - I would suggest that lots of people would use a PIN option on the Model S for about a week.

And then never use it again.