Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reports say the driver was ejected. This suggest, though with the severity of the crash doesn't necessarily confirm, that the driver may not have been wearing a seatbelt. If so, and he doesn't survive, I don't think you could fairly say it was because of the Tesla. Of course the media will spin it.

I'm still trying to imagine how it could get split in half and the rear end end up stuck between two buildings. That's just...wow.

Interesting video of the aftermath:

Last edited by a moderator:
@LizG, thanks for posting that link. That video gave me a clearer understanding of the accident scene. The burning pieces on the road behind the white car may be pieces of the Tesla battery which could have been broken apart during the crash. When that video was shot the white car was not on fire, and the rear section of the Tesla that was wedged up high between two buildings did not appear to be burning.

If the Tesla thief was ejected from the car after impact than it seems unlikely he was wearing his seat belt. I hope that can be verified and publicized.

If he stole the car at 12:51AM I would think the Service Center would have been closed and unoccupied. If so, how did he get the fob?

If this car thief dies, then that's one less car thief in the world. Couldn't be a more well deserved 1st death in a Model S.
Wish he would have just driven off a cliff and not taken anyone else with him, which is likely from the scene of the horrific debris field.
Maybe the police will get smarter from this incident and not pursue stolen tanks in the future, but I doubt it.

If you pause the above video at the 2:52 mark, you can follow the skidmarks around the corner and see where the Tesla sideswiped the lightpole. It must have broken in half there, the rear flung into the building.