Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Tesla X Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..., but Tesla's service and support is zero!
It's really too bad, I detest thieves and vandals as I have been on the receiving end a few times.

With that said I don't think it is Tesla's responsibility to track down stolen vehicles. Do any other car companies do this (maybe with Onstar?)

They would have to verify your ID (which should be easy) and making sure you (still) hold the title, etc etc. Could also be a privacy issue.

In any case I hope the police are able to help and it is probably time to contact insurance.

Sorry and good luck.

Reactions: morbidz
This single report has been spread all over and no details. It took about ten minutes of searching to find out what happened, how were the Teslas stolen:

Police found about 10 key fobs and key cards in McNett’s pockets and inside the stolen Tesla, according to court records. McNett allegedly admitted to stealing the cards and the cars they were for.

I am saddened to report a stolen Tesla X Plaid, red - top trim level. Everyone thinks it's not true, but it's a fact. The thieves first remove the frame, then return and after breaking and removing the driver's window, they need about 20 minutes to drive off with the car. Finally I got a message on the phone that a key has been added…
What frame are you talking about? I’m confused about how they got access to the car…

You seem to have some impression that because its an "X plaid" you are entitled to something different than if it were a model 3 or Y. You arent.

What frame are you talking about? I’m confused about how they got access to the car…
First they take a photo of the VIN number and they go. After 20 minutes they return. They break the side window and take him out the door. The glass is whole, but in small pieces, like a cobweb. Throughout the theft, they entered and exited through the side window. Never open the door. They remove the charging console on the phone, which is under the large display and hang something there on the cables. The screen lights up, the back lights of the car too. All the while, the car does not make any sound, which is strange to me.

I dont understand this running commentary for a car that was stolen over a month and half ago, per this OP. Even if, by some stretch of the imagination, Tesla DID have information about the location of the car at this point, and it was actually whole (not chop shopped), what would you do at that point?

File an insurance claim, or if you have not, why havent you done so?

No; he's suggesting it's a 2023 which means it should have the latest protections. At least thats what I read.

Yes exactly.

Thats not how it read to me. The OP said the word "plaid" a ton of times, as if that makes a difference here, and also said:

At the moment, the results are like this - no cooperation from Tesla. And that's X plaid - not 3 or Y

I repeat again that it is about X Plaid 2023, which should be the most protected.

That sounds, at least to me, like there is an expectation that a "X plaid 2023" should be the most protected, and "its not a 3 or Y", which is why I said what I said.

First they take a photo of the VIN number and they go. After 20 minutes they return. They break the side window and take him out the door. The glass is whole, but in small pieces, like a cobweb. Throughout the theft, they entered and exited through the side window. Never open the door. They remove the charging console on the phone, which is under the large display and hang something there on the cables. The screen lights up, the back lights of the car too. All the while, the car does not make any sound, which is strange to me.
A few more details dribbling out. Suspicious story.

Second sentence in first post is suggestive:
"Everyone thinks it's not true."

Last edited:
…The thieves first remove the frame…
I think we’re all still struggling with this phrase. What frame? And how does it get removed?

Also, can you confirm that no PIN to drive was set. No judgement, just makes understanding easier. I don’t think it would matter given the physical access to the car.

Clearly the thieves are sophisticated enough to keep the car from reporting its location, either by changing the software setting, or just removing the SIM.

I would definitely have an AirTag and some other geo tracker in a car if I lived in eastern Europe.

Don’t all the EU cars have an interior motion sensor to turn on an audible alarm? Did you buy this car from Tesla in Austria? Or from a third party?

Here’s an interesting anecdote from the US. My car and many others got towed once by the US federal authorities as a security precaution. The app never notified me, and in fact the app showed the old location. And Tesla corporate would/could not tell me where it was.

I think Tesla privacy rules prevent Tesla from knowing where the car was. I also suspect that our federal authorities.m, as well as sophisticated car thieves, use GSM blocking tech when they take/move a car.

Last edited:
How did you know all these details? You saw someone took photo of the VIN number but you did not suspect and did not do anything?
I am really confused here.

How did you know all these details? You saw someone took photo of the VIN number but you did not suspect and did not do anything?
I am really confused here.
This part of the story makes sense to me. Witnessing the sequence of events after the fact would be fairly trivial if one had security cameras around their property. If one did, since you would know the date of the theft, it would be a fairly trivial matter to look back through your camera recordings to see what happened.