Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop Elon From Failing Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the sort of complete idiocy that I could see the Koch's fueling. Perhaps they see the opportunity to pull a repeat of the EV1 mess. Of course. this time, they couldn't kill EVs. But they might kill Tesla. They would keep going irrespective - it would be with Chinese * German builders rather than American. Wouldn't that be a sad irony?

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
Without reading the article, I think people wanting for Model 3 to be on time and in quantities promised is quite reasonable.

Personally I sure hope that slow rampup will not be repeated. Earth depends on it.

I'd seen that article in my morning news feed; it's on Bloomberg as "Elon Musk vs. the Trolls".

Apparently, there are any number of operations that use their 501(c)(4) status to mask completely who their funders are; this gives XYZ Corp wide latitude in disseminating scurrilous material with great impunity.

Last edited:
This cannot cause tesla to fail. Relax. Similar lingo in regards to people calling the demise of the Republican Party and now the Democratic Party. This is open knowledge now and negative articles against tesla will be viewed with increased scrutiny.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
This is rather helpful development. Instead of discerning fake from news you can just go to this site and learn which article/news source/writer are on anti-Telsa payroll and should not be taken seriously:

So I assume that the "articles" on that Stop Elon From Failing Again website will be re-posted far and wide (as that is how junk like this gets spread -- they just re-post the same thing on different sites to game Google's ad and search programs). Perhaps a browser plug-in that looks at the original source (that SEFFA site) and notifies you if you're looking at that same info that has been re-posted on a new site. Unfortunately those that are unable to discern the paid content (essentially propaganda) from reality probably wouldn't be likely to download such a plugin.

Instead of discerning fake from news you can just go to this site and learn which article/news source/writer are on anti-Telsa payroll and should not be taken seriously:

You can do that, but can/will the layman?

I am a believer that what goes around, comes around - so they'll get theirs.

Does it though? Plenty of examples of the masses believing a carefully placed set of lies, despite being clearly contrary to the evidence.. See: Evolution and Climate Change denial. The public largely believes one thing despite of the science being clear for decades/centuries.

Crazy nation.
Tesla and SpaceX are creating jobs. Cars are exported, rockets take on foreign cargo missions.
Surely Solar Roofs will be exported, and there's Nordic interest in Hyperloop Helsinki-Stockholm.

Sure, some of Elon's endeavours have leaned a bit on state subsidies. But the US leans on digital cash creation for half of its budget, doubling tax income. That's an insane (ludicrous) thing for a supposedly leading economic nation anyway. Not a model for continuity, export debt tied to military pressure.

A wonderful exercise in look here! - not there.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
It will be an interesting test of Trump to see if he parrots this stuff, while simultaneously claiming to advocate American manufacturing activity and commercial space capability.

We have seen it before:
  • Trump happily retweets a tweet based on one of the 'Tesla subsidies' articles
  • He follows up with a promise to 'handle it'
  • A bit later he tweets that Tesla will no longer take 7500 EV credit w/o mentioning that Tesla has sold over 200k vehicles in the USA

Welcome to the post-fact world. Imagine how well those first trans-Atlantic voyages would have worked out if the navigator considered the compass needle (or sun stone) something to be ignored if he felt an "alternative explanation" of true north would please the captain more.
These things - while tempting to some- do not end well.
Robin

We have seen it before:
  • Trump happily retweets a tweet based on one of the 'Tesla subsidies' articles
  • He follows up with a promise to 'handle it'
  • A bit later he tweets that Tesla will no longer take 7500 EV credit w/o mentioning that Tesla has sold over 200k vehicles in the USA

Striking how similar this reads to a couple of month ago:

- Elon launches fire sale to meet Q3 sales target
- Elon tweets a promise to "handle it" after getting called out on discounting
- Elon announces strict no-discounting plan after Q3 ends.

Affirmation of my long-held thesis that these 2 guys are very similar.

Striking how similar this reads to a couple of month ago:

- Elon launches fire sale to meet Q3 sales target
- Elon tweets a promise to "handle it" after getting called out on discounting
- Elon announces strict no-discounting plan after Q3 ends.

That's the thing about generalizations - everything looks very similar and in the end Trump wins.

Reactions: Magus
While not identical, I also find a lot of similarities:
  • Both multi-billionaires in the quarter-of-a-dozen-to-two-dozen billion dollars range (today's edge is about ERM=3.000000DJT according to Google quoting Forbes (you almost think they made those numbers exactly 3.000000000 on purpose))
  • Both big thinkers (POTUS, colonizing and terraforming a planet and converting another planet's energy systems to be completely clean, etc.)
  • Both embracing modern communications (Twitter)
  • Both dynamic speakers
That's why I think they would both get along. If ERM talked to DJT about colonizing Mars, DJT would think it was a huge ego stroke to be a part of that, and also to compete against other countries for Mars colonization (America First, or at least America with Some Feet In The Door). Also, the energy and transportation business landscape is transforming, and as Tesla is in the business of the future version of that, and China also has competing companies in that space, ERM could explain that to DJT and get DJT to think that as part of an America-First policy, it being consistent to not only do some local (in-USA) manufacturing, but also have a significant market share capability in that area (future as well as present).

I think they could both get along quite well. Elon, personally, seems to come across a lot less adversarial (in his speech during the Solar City - Tesla merger vote) than his tweets come out being. I also know there's a similar difference between Donald's public demeanor (and his tweets) and the way he discusses things personally. I wonder how much cooperation they could do and commonalities and even friendship they could have that could benefit not only their own selves but their respective workplaces, USA, the world, and humans. (I've already been an advocate of this many times here, so I'm not stating anything new from me.)

===

Ok, about the anti-Tesla anti-Elon anti-SpaceX PAC's: at some point, various people will have to gauge how much of an annoyance this will be and how much resources to put into studying and refuting this. At this point, this seems like the crud that just flies around when you're doing work. My analogy right now is that in construction, one puts on safety gear before using a jack hammer, and stuff sometimes flies around. You even step in some old sewer impregnated dirt in some old construction sites. There's bound to be some of that. But, occasionally, somebody forgets to mark a pipe line and somebody else forgets to double-check whether the pipe line has been marked and the jackhammer hits the pipe line. Mostly, that doesn't happen, and the laborers clean up the mess like it never existed. I'm going to revisit this if this gets real traction; unless that happens, I can't be bothered.

===

Here's an update, thanks to @Curt Renz in the short term thread: Trump softens position on climate change, Clinton investigation
On Tuesday, Trump told the Times he thinks there is "some connectivity" between human activity and climate change, reporter Mike Grynbaum tweeted. “It depends on how much," the reporter quoted Trump as saying.

Asked whether the United States will withdraw from climate change accords, Trump said: “I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it," the reporter tweeted.

Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, also said on Tuesday he was thinking about climate change and American competitiveness and "how much it will cost our companies,” the reporter said, without elaborating.
That's practically an invitation from Trump to Elon for Elon to come visit Trump. I hope Elon understands this.

Last edited: