Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storage for J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really miss the original S with the little cubbyhole in the glove box for the J1772 adapter. For those folks who use their adapter often, where do you stash it in your Model 3? I'm trying to find a spot that's
  • out of the way, so it doesn't take up valuable space from something else
  • easy to get to, so I don't have to open the trunk or frunk if the weather's nasty
  • closely fit to the adapter, so it doesn't rattle or roll around when driving gets...spirited
Any ideas?

i had the pull out tray/cubby hold under the screen for model s.. this is where i have it for the model 3

Attachments

• 20181114_091240.jpg
    20181114_091240.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 281
why would you not just put it in the glovebox? it fits in there just fine and doesn't rattle around...

I don't quite get the glovebox some of you like for a location. The driver and the charge port are on the left. Having to reach over to the right and in the way of a passenger if you have one in the front seat, doesn't seem as convenient a location as the side door or somewhere in the center console.

I really miss the original S with the little cubbyhole in the glove box for the J1772 adapter. For those folks who use their adapter often, where do you stash it in your Model 3? I'm trying to find a spot that's
  • out of the way, so it doesn't take up valuable space from something else
  • xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • closely fit to the adapter, so it doesn't rattle or roll around when driving gets...spirited
Any ideas?

Here is an option for a holder in the trunk: Tesla charger adapter holder for Model 3 trunk by jonco223 that you can just use a 3D printing service to print yourself, someone printed it on their Prusa i3 MK3 and showed me how it turned out, in one of the attached pics.

My friend just 3D printed me a different one for the door side pocket which took him 10 prints to fine tune it, if he releases the stl file I'll let you know.

Attachments

• 20181111_231457 (1).png
    20181111_231457 (1).png
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 20181104_181811.png
    20181104_181811.png
    977.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20181104_182111.png
    20181104_182111.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 256
  • 46242011_10156251336259531_5954231832391188480_o.jpg
    46242011_10156251336259531_5954231832391188480_o.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 243
I don't quite get the glovebox some of you like for a location. The driver and the charge port are on the left. Having to reach over to the right and in the way of a passenger if you have one in the front seat, doesn't seem as convenient a location as the side door or somewhere in the center console.

you can't ask the passenger to grab it for you?

having it in the side door leaves it visible for potential thieves...and the center console is better used IMO for stuff I might need more quickly. it's not like you won't have time to open the glove box and get the adapter out if you need to charge at a public station...

I put it in the center console - the deep part - on a microfiber towel to keep it from rolling around.

I’d like a holster for it near the base of the driver seat.

I use it a lot - at work.

The adapter fits inside a neoprene can koozie (which can be cut/folded to a better size). I thought about slapping some Velcro on a koozie and then sticking it wherever was handy, but I only used the adapter about twice, so I never bothered.

Reactions: fiatlux
you laugh, but you've surely seen the posts about teslas getting broken into at such a high rate in CA...

Yes- but that has literally nothing to do with J1772 adapters being in plain sight.

It has to do with a confluence of issues-

1) the bay area no longer bothering to do anything about such crimes.
2) Tesla not having a way to lock the back seats from folding so the hidden cargo area can be accessed easily
3) Tesla not having a glass breakage sensor on the alarm

The typical person engaging in those crimes would have absolutely no use whatsoever for a J1772 adapter.

Yes- but that has literally nothing to do with J1772 adapters being in plain sight.

It has to do with a confluence of issues-

1) the bay area no longer bothering to do anything about such crimes.
2) Tesla not having a way to lock the back seats from folding so the hidden cargo area can be accessed easily
3) Tesla not having a glass breakage sensor on the alarm

The typical person engaging in those crimes would have absolutely no use whatsoever for a J1772 adapter.

i agree, but i'm still of the mind that i'm not leaving ANYTHING in plain sight. it's in general a good practice to get into. the adapter is $100 from tesla, it's not like it's not something they can't flip quickly and make some easy cash on...