Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Just Activated in SoCal 11/19/2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a message on my phone from Tesla for Storm Watch and was completely surprised. I didn’t think there was anything that would be close to activating it. So I checked the NWS and noticed they issued a Red Flag warning for tomorrow.

But the APP itself doesn’t display storm watch. Is it supposed to show that it’s in storm watch mode? If so where?

Attachments

• 28A08589-7897-4EB9-B16A-3BA14F3C1561.jpeg
    28A08589-7897-4EB9-B16A-3BA14F3C1561.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 79FD9EBA-5631-49E2-8A8F-98A66155CA79.png
    79FD9EBA-5631-49E2-8A8F-98A66155CA79.png
    724 KB · Views: 54
  • BF7CC9BB-7F06-420F-B393-0B48B58B033C.png
    BF7CC9BB-7F06-420F-B393-0B48B58B033C.png
    480.5 KB · Views: 63
  • CAB2F735-1934-4046-8778-6399FD9C7563.png
    CAB2F735-1934-4046-8778-6399FD9C7563.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 53
Its active for me as well (in temecula). I am still on a regular tiered plan so it doesnt bother me to let it charge up my battery. I always move the slider on my self powered mode to 100% reserve when I see these alerts, whether stormwatch activates or not.

On a side note, at least for me, I get a LOT more "weather alerts" than I ever knew about before I got powerwalls. This is probably the 7th time stormwatch activated this year for me, which is more than I ever thought, living in such a "temperate" climate.

Reactions: skepticcyclist
Right after I posted this the APP then displayed storm watch.

Also I since turned it off. I don’t want it charging during peak time. I’ll turn it back on after 9:00
This is exactly my issue, my Powerwalls started pulling 8kW during SCE peak rates! Would prefer it wait until my TOU settings kicked in. Good to know you can toggle it on and off and it will reset itself.

Reactions: skepticcyclist
Aren't rates pretty low now due to Winter months? It's 'only' $0.38/on peak vs. $0.33/off peak and $0.32/super off peak in overpriced San Diego.
It’s still between .40 - .45 cents per kWh, not going to break the bank. It’s more of the principle of charging from the grid during peak times. Plus SCE is taking forever to actually credit my account for generation (3 months post PTO).

I got the same message. I turned off storm watch at 4 but it took 10 mins to stop pulling from the grid.
I turned it off right when I got it. Fortunately this time I got it at 1:00, unlike the first time when I didn't get it until about 5:00.

I'll turn it back on at 9:00 to fully charge from the grid just incase (even though it is not really needed since there will be enough sun tomorrow to charge the batteries.)

I have been taking my PW off storm watch from 4-9 then put it back on after 9:00 to have it charge from the grid. Since we've been in storm watch for over 5 days I noticed that the battery only charges to about 98% from the grid each night. When I take it off storm watch the next morning it will then charge to 100% from solar. Why does the grid cut off charging sooner than solar?

I have been taking my PW off storm watch from 4-9 then put it back on after 9:00 to have it charge from the grid. Since we've been in storm watch for over 5 days I noticed that the battery only charges to about 98% from the grid each night. When I take it off storm watch the next morning it will then charge to 100% from solar. Why does the grid cut off charging sooner than solar?
Not totally sure, but I think in SW, it is using a different basis for 100%.
I heard SCE is cutting power to a bunch of people today. Is that true?

We spent Thanksgiving at my Aunts house and their entire area was without power the whole day. My uncle had to run a generator to run his smoker, oven (gas powered but still needs electricity for they controls), and refrigerator. These damn utility companies think it is better to shut off power in fire areas to prevent fires instead of upgrading their equipment.

Last edited:
Storm Watch now officially over for our area. First time in 5 days. Glad to report that there were no big fires during this time. Sad to report that many were without power all day for Thanksgiving because utility companies shut off power for fire prevention, Including my Aunts house (see above post)

I can't wait until we have a storm watch for an actual rain storm instead of a potential fire or wind storm. I'm not saying this because I want to see bad things happen; I'm saying this because we are in the middle of one of the worst droughts in history, and a rain storm initiated Storm Watch instead of Red Flag or Wind Warning Storm Watch would actually be a benefit to our area.