Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch on again 10/1/2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....What is your annual goal? To be off grid year round?

No, being in PG&E PSPS zone probably is our highest priority not to lose power at any time, especially with WFH. We’ve curtailed a lot of electrical usage over the past few years and would be nice not to think so much about what we’re using. So being able to reduce our bill comes in close second though. I charge my Model 3 at home off peak, easy to do with the extended midnight to 3pm hours we have during the summer. Reminds me we should look at winter rate/hours. Our AC unit was installed many years ago but still runs fine and does well on the sure-start and so hope to keep it in service for a few years more if we can. Hugh hog. We only have a medium solar system. Totally new to this so sure we will learn a lot about scheduling.

Reactions: jboy210
I wonder if after diablo canyon is shut down... if will phase out the concept of “off peak” time. Like there won’t be much energy being generated at midnight anymore. so technically midnight becomes is as “peaky” compared to capacity at the time as 6pm.

WOW. That is a lot of shading and it lasts to what, into March? Start cutting the trees or buildings. ;):D
Not in our town. You cannot remove any tree you cannot put your arms around the trunk. The 50 foot Oak in the backyard is 3 times bigger. The good thing is it drops its leaves in a few weeks so the shading will decrease a lot. We also have a row of pines trees to the west that cuts off the sun after 4PM these days.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
my system is in stormwatch mode right now as well, in southern california, as of saturday 10/24 sometime during the mid day (continuing into today). SCE (my utility), informed me that "due to improving weather conditions, your zip code has been removed from the PSPS list".

my system is in stormwatch mode right now as well, in southern california, as of saturday 10/24 sometime during the mid day (continuing into today). SCE (my utility), informed me that "due to improving weather conditions, your zip code has been removed from the PSPS list".

Being off PSPS is great!

This year PG&E has dramatically scaled back the size of their PSPS areas. So far there have been 3 or 4 incidents and we have not been shut down in any. But a mile or two down the road they are in the PSPS area for this afternoon. Still, I am toggling StormWatch off and on as required to keep the PWs in 90% range and charging as much as possible with the solar.

Not in our town. You cannot remove any tree you cannot put your arms around the trunk. The 50 foot Oak in the backyard is 3 times bigger. The good thing is it drops its leaves in a few weeks so the shading will decrease a lot. We also have a row of pines trees to the west that cuts off the sun after 4PM these days.
Oh gee, that is interesting news. I know you live in an adjacent city to where I used to live an there was no restriction in removing any tree. So wondering is that a new thing in the area, or always been that way?

Oh gee, that is interesting news. I know you live in an adjacent city to where I used to live an there was no restriction in removing any tree. So wondering is that a new thing in the area, or always been that way?
Here that rule has been in place for at least the last 25 years we have been here. Plus I really would not remove the tree. It is a fixture in the yard and shades the deck area.

I have tree guys coming to trim it this week and hope they can take a bit of the top to reduce the shading. Also the 40+ mph winds tonight may take off some leaves. Here is a picture of the tree and shading.

20201016_131735.jpg

Here that rule has been in place for at least the last 25 years we have been here. Plus I really would not remove the tree. It is a fixture in the yard and shades the deck area.

I have tree guys coming to trim it this week and hope they can take a bit of the top to reduce the shading. Also the 40+ mph winds tonight may take off some leaves. Here is a picture of the tree and shading.

View attachment 602359
Beautiful. I'd keep it too. Just hope that it never falls on the property when it gets near end of life (likely a long way to go) :D

Beautiful. I'd keep it too. Just hope that it never falls on the property when it gets near end of life (likely a long way to go) :D

We like it also. There is a twin oak on the other side of the fence, so I suspect we would still get some shading from that.

BTW, how does one know when a tree is EOL? It does drop some big branches (20 feet long, 2-3 foot diameter) now and again. In the picture, you can see one at a strange angle at the base. It is stuck on the tree and sitting in a creek that runs behind the house. They coming to take that branch out and do trimming. 3 days, 3-5 guys. I suspect that will eat close to $10K.:(

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
BTW, how does one know when a tree is EOL?
Great question. We had a couple oak trees like that near our home. Not sure this link is accurate information, but....
5 Signs that Your Oak Tree is Dying | Woodsman Inc.

When I had a company come to trim our tree, I remember him saying an Oak tree can live from 100 years to several hundred years depending on the type. Beats me if he was right.

Not in our town. You cannot remove any tree you cannot put your arms around the trunk.

That seems like a really weird way to determine tree size. Do you get to pick the person who’s arms are used to measure the tree or is there just one city employee with the official arms?

It seems like there might be a good business opportunity for someone with unusually large arms to help people who want to take down larger trees.

That seems like a really weird way to determine tree size. Do you get to pick the person who’s arms are used to measure the tree or is there just one city employee with the official arms?

It seems like there might be a good business opportunity for someone with unusually large arms to help people who want to take down larger trees.

Lol! 4'6" female gymnast arms, or, 7' 4" Pro basketball player arms.

Ha. Pretty sure they have a number, but the rule of thumb is your arms. We do have some ex-pro ballers in the area, so maybe some of them can give it a try!

..]

Nice oak. Ask them to trim the top as much as possible without killing the tree.
I have some tall pines on the west side as well in the greenbelt and shades about the same time as yours.

shutting down Diablo is a big mistake and a costly one at that

Wasn’t part of the reason it was being decommissioned though because they found a fault zone ran through the ground it was built on? As far as I know that was planned for 2025 so wonder where California will be with residential and commercial solar and back up sources at that point.

But yeah Diablo is a huge energy source. All the more reason for Californians homeowners especially to have solar and back up.

Last edited:

Just what I like, and "Out of the box" thinker.