Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of tropical fish :) But ok, you just live with no power then or separate batteries.
Before I had this stuff, I had a small battery operated air pump I put in my fish tank to try and make sure none of them died if the power stayed out too long. If I still have the tank, would probably still have that ready for worst case need if all my backup stuff did not work.

Storm watch has to be changed , didnt read through this thread yet maybe it was already stated. But its more of a "storm warning" the only time I have had storm watch kick in is in the middle of a big storm. Ive had severe thunderstorm watches well in advance , batteries drain throughout the day , a storm starts to come through triggers a warning and the batteries charge for a grand total of 10 min. Defeats the purpose of preparedness. I just manage it myself now, If I know a storm is coming through I make sure my batteries are on 100% , doesnt obviously grid charge but at least the solar goes to the batteries first.

There was no storm watch for Monday night/Tuesday morning storm in the South Bay, so our PowerWalls weren't fully charged.

We are now 56 hours without power and still going on the batteries. Hoping for lots of sun today and maybe pg&e can fix the issue. 🤞🤞

There was no storm watch for Monday night/Tuesday morning storm in the South Bay, so our PowerWalls weren't fully charged.

We are now 56 hours without power and still going on the batteries. Hoping for lots of sun today and maybe pg&e can fix the issue. 🤞🤞
Wow are you in the mountains or just in an unlucky area with power poles/transformers down? I don’t think anyone here has lost that many hours of power. Hope you got to soak up some of that sunshine today.

When the future winter weather comes I will be leaving mine at 80%-90% reserve for those months. This time I was able to get a charge before the storm but my usual reserve of 25% would not be smart in the winter. Now we know.

Hope for some sun or for the power back soon!

When the future winter weather comes I will be leaving mine at 80%-90% reserve for those months. This time I was able to get a charge before the storm but my usual reserve of 25% would not be smart in the winter. Now we know.

I'm a net producer and live in an area frequent outages. Since I'm reimbursed in kilowatt hours there isn't an advantage of time shifting unless I fall under the threshold. I'm leaving my reserve at 100% until these storms are over. There isn't much sun anyway.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: h2ofun and Vines
I think setting reserve comes down to what your primary goal is. For us, having battery back up available to get us through a long outage (with lights, refrig/freezer, power to run gas furnace fan and gas water heater) is our primary goal. The winter decrease in our overall yearly numbers of grid export is just not that important to our comfort and lifestyle. Besides living in a predominately sunny three-season area more than keeps us in the positive grid export to import category so overall still ahead of the yearly electrical cost to us.

These past few weeks have been kind of the occasional exception to winters here from what I observed yielding a monthly period of mostly rainy/overcast days. Remember a few years back having a month of rain every day, but it really was the exception for our area but seems to happen every so many years. I could never live in the Pacific Northwest with all the rain they get. Not mentally either!

Last edited:

Yes, now we know but this is an off year with heavy storms. What will next winter be like? ;)
All about probabilities and risk taking.