Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded! (forgot keyfob at home, was still able to drive car away)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do agree. Just the other day, I went to dinner at a restaurant. I happened to get seated at a table that was near where my car was parked. To think that while I am there eating my car could be easily accessed and driven off is worrisome.

Agreed. I was at a car show last week and was always near the car. Although I allowed people to get into the car to play with the display, I was a little uneasy at the fact that they could simply shift into D and drive away at any moment.

I did email Tesla ownership about this, but hoping from this thread it gets to the Tesla higher ups, and is a priority. Once people find out they can steal a Tesla if the owner is just nearby with a key -- that would be some really, really bad press. Not to mention the potential of being stranded hundreds of miles from home. If it's not fixed soon, both of these will happen...

- - - Updated - - -

ps I think the Title of this thread should be Stranded! (forgot keyfob at home, was still able to drive car away).

Agreed. I was at a car show last week and was always near the car. Although I allowed people to get into the car to play with the display, I was a little uneasy at the fact that they could simply shift into D and drive away at any moment.

You can purchase an RF proof bag and put the fob in that.

I had an '08 CTS that had the keyless option. The car would give an attention gong and display a message on the dash if the key was not in the car and in gear. But it also would not start if the key was not inside the car (so that message would not come up unless the car was on and you got out of the car with the key and then got back in to drive and didn't bring the key back (say changing drivers...).

Why doesn't Tesla do that?

This. My BMW behaves this way. The proximity sensors are very accurate. The car knows if the fob is IN THE CAR. As soon as you step out with the engine running, you get a warning.

That's too bad! My late-model BMW also has a keyless system, though an annoying gong continuously goes off when the key fob isn't detected. I think it would be hard to leave the key behind if the Model S has such a gong.

I haven't tested my Leaf for key fob location sensitivity buy my 07 Prius has a whole array of antennas to sense and (effectively) locate the key fob. I'm really surprised Tesla hasn't tuned their system better to work as many previous posters have indicated other systems work.

I had an '08 CTS that had the keyless option. The car would give an attention gong and display a message on the dash if the key was not in the car and in gear. But it also would not start if the key was not inside the car (so that message would not come up unless the car was on and you got out of the car with the key and then got back in to drive and didn't bring the key back (say changing drivers...).

I had an '09 CTS and had a fob with a loose battery. If I was driving the car and the battery came loose, I would get a message saying something to the effect "key fob not detected, one re-start allowed". (This was my reminder to pop the fob open, blow the dust out and re-fasten the battery!). As you say, the Caddy wouldn't start in the first place if the key was outside the car...even if it was sitting on the roof of the car (did that once... set my keys and phone on the roof as I was getting in!)

Seems Tesla could give you one re-start as well to at least go home and get the missing fob.

- - - Updated - - -

The best solution is not to store the key in proximity to the car so u don't do it again.

I would say the best solution is for Tesla to re-work the logic. Your idea is a workaround until the problem is fixed.

I've said this at least twice now, but they can solve this with software, using the smartphone app and the touchscreen.

You send a remote start command from the smartphone app, up on the touchscreen you get asked to enter a password, you would need to enter the password to drive off with the car.

Could also be done via Tesla establishing a service similar to OnStar, you call them and they authenticate you, you tell them, you forgot your keyfob / lost it / the dog ate it, they remotely turn on the car for you. This service could be part of the data service plan, when that is finally announced.

Like Mitch's idea here.

@ Andrewket, yes, and Toyotas/Lexus' with fobs know this as well... fob must be located in the either of the front two seats, not outside, not in back row seats. Manual even has a map of the effective range/zones for the various functions of the fob too.

I've said this at least twice now, but they can solve this with software, using the smartphone app and the touchscreen.

You send a remote start command from the smartphone app, up on the touchscreen you get asked to enter a password, you would need to enter the password to drive off with the car.

Could also be done via Tesla establishing a service similar to OnStar, you call them and they authenticate you, you tell them, you forgot your keyfob / lost it / the dog ate it, they remotely turn on the car for you. This service could be part of the data service plan, when that is finally announced.

Something like this is necessary in addition to not being able to drive the car unless the FOB is IN the car. My FOB was lost in a friends house last Saturday. Realizing you can't drive home if you lose the FOB sucks. Some kind of (password protected) way to start the car and drive home without the FOB. The phone would be ideal if possible.

I would want to consider the implications before offering a remote start service. If this is a keyless go" system, it's highly secure and there are few vulnerabilities. The hacking attempts I have seen involve intercepting the rolling codes transmitted between key and vehicle.

I would worry that a smartphone system would dramatically lower the security. Not that I wouldn't enable if -- I like the convenience, too! But I would want go make sure the system couldn't be exploited through some sort of social hacking.

In any event, the car shouldn't start unless the key is definitely in the car.

I agree. If you forget the key you forget the key but the Model S should give you fair warning and make it obvious you no longer have the key with you.

I'd be worried about someone calling up and tricking someone on the phone into unlocking the car too.

Just out of interest - when does the auto lock activate when there is no key? If the driver gets out and closes the door, does it lock immediately?

Once the keyfob is out of range, a countdown timer must start, because it seems to take the car (in my case) over 30 seconds to flash the lights and lock. I actually wish it was a shorter countdown and that the horn would chirp as confirmation. I usually hit the fob's button because I like to be sure it's locked and with a long timer and no audible confirmation, I am never sure just walking away.

Once the keyfob is out of range, a countdown timer must start, because it seems to take the car (in my case) over 30 seconds to flash the lights and lock. I actually wish it was a shorter countdown and that the horn would chirp as confirmation. I usually hit the fob's button because I like to be sure it's locked and with a long timer and no audible confirmation, I am never sure just walking away.

It flashes the marker lights when it auto locks.

As far as "forgetting the key" or being locked out, GM seems to have figured out the security with OnStar, I have to believe Tesla could figure it out as well... It's a highly advanced car, no reason in the world Tesla shouldn't offer a service that's 10 time more advanced than OnStar.