Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Error Message : Low Disk Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. Just got a strange and worrying error message on my Model S.

The message on the screen said...
Low Disk Space
Free Space To Restore Functionality

My car is an AP1 car, so this message obviously has nothing to do with removable storage.

Has anyone else ever seen this before??
C270E24E-667F-4F11-B6A7-14C54917C34E.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Strange thing is, my car isn’t rooted. I have no idea why I have a DEV build. First time it’s ever happened.

This build is actually pretty buggy. Voice commands don’t work, most app related controls don’t work, and now this concerning message about disk space...

I don’t mind being on the cutting edge in terms of software releases. So if I’ve been added to EAP, I’m *NOT* complaining. But no one told me it was going to happen, so it’s sort of caught me off guard.

Bump for follow up reply/replies, outcome, resolution, etc? I got the same warning today, ironically, when picking up my Tesla from Tesla.

So my headlight/daytime running lights gave out. Scheduled service and dropped off this morning, completed same day. When I went to pick up, I had this error message, "Low Disk Space."

I immediately went back in and ask the service advisor, but they said, oh your Sentry footage must be full. I explained I'm AP1, no fancy sentry mode. Advisor comes out and says oh, the eMMC recall should fix this. But I had to schedule another service. This service appointment took a few months so I assume I'll be driving around with this warning for a while.

Just curious what this error actually is? Car is not "rooted" in anyway shape or form. I assume something happened when the tech installed the new headlights.

The MMC has old solid state storage that you can only rewrite so many times before it goes bad, and there is not much of it. No more space can be written over after time. Newer solid state memory is much more robust, plus they give you a much greater amount of it, so what is there doesn't need to be written over as much. New memory will likely last 10+ years with very substantial rewriting.

Reactions: Zishan
Just adding to the knowledge archive. I just had this issue when picking up my 2022 Model S plaid which was getting the tire swapped for winter. The text said that if you have a lot of map navigation history that this can happen which I do. He factory reset it and restored all my profiles and reported that the memory was nearly empty again.

I just had to repair my phone and autopilot had to recalibrate otherwise everything was back to normal.