Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange HVAC issue since windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my windshield replaced and have same problem, so I messaged Tesla service in my service app requesting a software update, but they came back and estimating the cost for:
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Sensor - Relative Humidity and Temperature (Remove & Replace) for $201. Did this happen to anyone? How did they get Tesla to push the update

For everyone: anytime you request service you will receive an estimate. ALWAYS. Even if it is warranty work. They will remove the charge at the SC. If in doubt after making an appointment reach out to the SC. Every time I have received an estimate and every time I have paid zero when I picked up our Y.

I had the same issue as others. After windshield replacement, when the AC was in "auto" mode it would only send air via the vent at base of the windshield. The SA pushed an update to my car ( it was same version i had ) and after this the AC is sending air via the face vents. This is much better than before but it now seems to be sending air exclusively via the face vents without using ones directed at feet or windshield base. Has anyone noticed something similar ? In "auto" mode are any of you getting dynamic distribution of air flow distribution between the 3 vents depending on temperature conditions in your cars ?

I have this problem starting today after driving for a few hours. I have not replaced the windshield on my 2019 M3. The software just was updated a few days ago to 2021.32.10. So it looks like either they broke this in 32.10, or something in the upgrade process goes bad, or my window sensor just suddenly died. I have done the deeper reboot with no change.. Also the Power off sequence. Still blasting the windshield on auto

I had the same issue as others. After windshield replacement, when the AC was in "auto" mode it would only send air via the vent at base of the windshield. The SA pushed an update to my car ( it was same version i had ) and after this the AC is sending air via the face vents. This is much better than before but it now seems to be sending air exclusively via the face vents without using ones directed at feet or windshield base. Has anyone noticed something similar ? In "auto" mode are any of you getting dynamic distribution of air flow distribution between the 3 vents depending on temperature conditions in your cars ?
I have never seen 'auto' mode do anything but face vents in AC mode, and feet vents and maybe some windshield vent in winter heat mode.

Had my windshield replaced today, producing same effect. 12v disconnect was done, upon return to windshield installer (Tesla certified collision facility), and problem was fixed. (March 2019 Model 3 SR+, software 2021.32.10)

Last edited:
Same issue for me, just collected car from windscreen shop (2020 M3). Spoke to a Tesla eng who said there are temp | humidity sensors in the camera cluster on the windscreen , but if they were damaged or had pinched wires, it should raise a fault. I noticed the app showed the internal temp was high, 80F , and it was more like 68. The temp did start to drop on the App, but something isn't quite right. I'll have to take it for a spin to allow the recalibration to complete anyway, so hoping it self fixes :)

I have this problem starting today after driving for a few hours. I have not replaced the windshield on my 2019 M3. The software just was updated a few days ago to 2021.32.10. So it looks like either they broke this in 32.10, or something in the upgrade process goes bad, or my window sensor just suddenly died. I have done the deeper reboot with no change.. Also the Power off sequence. Still blasting the windshield on auto
And like magic, after driving a couple hours the next day, with AC in 'manual' mode, the problem disappeared, and auto works properly again...

I had this same problem after my Y's windshield was replaced on Monday. Due to warping/distortion of the windshield, I brought it back in yesterday and they replaced the windshield and were going to look at the HVAC. After the visit I was told that the "HVAC system is working as designed. No adjustments are needed." I said it absolutely did not work like that before, and neither of the loaners I used acted in the same way. I saw this thread prior to bringing it in the 2nd time, and mentioned it to the advisor in person and in the service messaging system through the app (including sending a link to this thread) and they basically said "we have our own policies and procedures." After enough pleading they pushed the same firmware version that was already on my car and, like everyone else in this thread, the problem was fixed.

In case anyone is wanting to know:

I noticed there was a significant amount of “smudging” behind the trifocal forward facing cameras on my MY. I read through a bunch threads about removing the camera array and cleaning behind it. As it turns out, on the Y, there is not hardware removal required. Basically, you remove the trim around the rear view mirror, remove the mirror, then remove the trim around the camera array. From here, there are two tabs on the “glare shield” that remove the entire “glare shield”. You can use your fingers/thumbs to remove this. There are two pins that locate the shield when you reinstall it. Once this is out of the way, you have full access to clean behind the tri-focal cameras. I did this in about 5mins. Cleaned behind the glare shield and reinstalled all the trim. Alas, this DID NOT fix the climate control issue. It is nice to know, that cleaning behind the cameras is super easy. So, no torx bits involved, basically the only tool I used was a trim removal tool to pop the cover over the cameras off. There is no moving of the cameras or recalibration required. The cameras remain in place all the time. “The more you know”….

In case anyone is wanting to know:

I noticed there was a significant amount of “smudging” behind the trifocal forward facing cameras on my MY. I read through a bunch threads about removing the camera array and cleaning behind it. As it turns out, on the Y, there is not hardware removal required. Basically, you remove the trim around the rear view mirror, remove the mirror, then remove the trim around the camera array. From here, there are two tabs on the “glare shield” that remove the entire “glare shield”. You can use your fingers/thumbs to remove this. There are two pins that locate the shield when you reinstall it. Once this is out of the way, you have full access to clean behind the tri-focal cameras. I did this in about 5mins. Cleaned behind the glare shield and reinstalled all the trim. Alas, this DID NOT fix the climate control issue. It is nice to know, that cleaning behind the cameras is super easy. So, no torx bits involved, basically the only tool I used was a trim removal tool to pop the cover over the cameras off. There is no moving of the cameras or recalibration required. The cameras remain in place all the time. “The more you know”….
Same issue for me, just collected car from windscreen shop (2020 M3). Spoke to a Tesla eng who said there are temp | humidity sensors in the camera cluster on the windscreen , but if they were damaged or had pinched wires, it should raise a fault. I noticed the app showed the internal temp was high, 80F , and it was more like 68. The temp did start to drop on the App, but something isn't quite right. I'll have to take it for a spin to allow the recalibration to complete anyway, so hoping it self fixes :)
Fixed when car upgraded from 32.10 to 32.21 at the weekend

Same exact issue on my model 3. Windshield was replaced in Lisle, IL. Called the service center when I got home and they insisted is was probably just a sensor that was left unpulled and that i either needed to come back in or they would send out a mobile tech. I told them i read online that re-pushing the software has worked for others, but they were not interested in that. Mobile tech came out today (awesome guy), he found no issue and said I need to bring it back to the service center. I explained what i read and he had the same software pushed (2021.32.22)....boom, issue fixed! My guess is something gets messed up with the sensors during replacement and the software can't recover. Tesla needs to update there procedure to do this or just fix the bug :)

Just had this issue as well. Created a service request asking them to update my firmware or push the same one I had again. They said this is a known issue and to wait until the new firmware came out. I pushed back and asked them to at least repush the current firmware and once they did that and I installed it, the issue went away. Thanks to everyone in this post!

Had my windshield replaced on my Model 3 by Safelite on 10/18/2021 (with OEM windshield) and the same situation happened to me (i.e., HVAC in AUTO mode blew air only on the windshield). Thanks to this thread I just called the Support Team 877-798-3752 and explained my problem. They re-pushed version 32.22 and it fixed the issue.