Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange question from my DS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS called and asked me how much I am financing. I am not sure why they need to know. I am assuming they already ran a credit check showing I have excellent credit. I wouldn't think it would matter if I finance 100% or 0% as long as they get their check when I pick up my car. I gave him an estimate but he asked I let him know the exact amount next week.
Has anyone else been asked this? Or know why they might need to know?

They need to update the system to prepare the "Model ? Payment" in your "My Tesla" page, to tell you what is the amount you need to pay 1 week before your delivery. The components in there are Final Price (including Taxes and Fees), Payment (The $2500 down payment and whatever the amount you paid them), Trade in, Financing, Balance. If you didn't go through the financing with them, they need to know in order to give you the Balance amount.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and Akikiki
Thanks all.
@Akikiki: I asked him in an email and haven't heard back yet.
I let DS know I will provide an additional down payment and finance the rest at my Credit Union, so I will bring a check for the total. I guess what wesley888 says might make some sense if Tesla feels they want to provide me with a paper showing financing and balance, but I really just need the total so I can arrange this. I received the pro-forma, so I really don't need any other financial info from Tesla, nor do I think they need any more info from me. But I don't want to sound rude if I don't tell them what portion I am financing.

Thanks all.
@Akikiki: I asked him in an email and haven't heard back yet.
I let DS know I will provide an additional down payment and finance the rest at my Credit Union, so I will bring a check for the total. I guess what wesley888 says might make some sense if Tesla feels they want to provide me with a paper showing financing and balance, but I really just need the total so I can arrange this. I received the pro-forma, so I really don't need any other financial info from Tesla, nor do I think they need any more info from me. But I don't want to sound rude if I don't tell them what portion I am financing.
Are they preparing the actual bill of sale or do you alreadt have that? your. lender will insist on seeing it before the finalize the loan.

My DS called and asked me how much I am financing. I am not sure why they need to know. I am assuming they already ran a credit check showing I have excellent credit. I wouldn't think it would matter if I finance 100% or 0% as long as they get their check when I pick up my car. I gave him an estimate but he asked I let him know the exact amount next week.

That's odd. I received my email notification from Tesla yesterday (23-NOV-16) that my car (P90D) has "Entered Production". Have not heard back from my DS (maybe because it's Thanksgiving Day) but I don't expect that question from him, especially since I'll be paying via Electronic Bank Account Debit. The DS knows this so again, I don't expect that type of question. So, what was the answer to why he wanted to know?

this is a normal question. another way to put the question is how much down payment are you putting down, which is just as normal. typically ICE dealers ask it as you are in the financing office but Tesla tries to get this info in advance to expedite your paperwork and pick up experience.

If you have an additional down payment to pay beyond what you have put down already, it will show up in My Tesla for you to pay before you pick up. If you're not adding any more $, then the MVPA also gets updated to amount financed. But your DS needs to know to cross off this step.

If you have put all your down payment already and are financing the rest, just tell him that and you should be good to go. In my case, i gave my DS a rounded $ to be financed and an additional .70 cents showed up on My Tesla so i had to correct it w him (vs the bank). so they need the exact $ figure.

That's odd. I received my email notification from Tesla yesterday (23-NOV-16) that my car (P90D) has "Entered Production". Have not heard back from my DS (maybe because it's Thanksgiving Day) but I don't expect that question from him, especially since I'll be paying via Electronic Bank Account Debit. The DS knows this so again, I don't expect that type of question. So, what was the answer to why he wanted to know?

You will get a balance amount at the My Tesla page one week before your delivery. You will get ask that kind of question if your DS doesn't know how much you want to put down as down payment, or if they doesn't know how much your financed amount is.

Or if they just make the decision for you without asking you. And then you will see another forum post complaining the DS didn't ask you how much you want for down payment or how much you want to finance and such. :)