Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange tesla comments in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When people talk to me about running over pedestrians I remind them of the Prius example - ie how many have been run over by them and follow up with the fact that people walk in front of my 1990 Porsche 928 GT, complete with its rumbling V8 and performance exhaust. They also walk in front of my motorcycle. I haven't noticed any more people walking in front of the Tesla.

There is hardware on Model S to create a warning sound. It's called the Horn :smile: and a very effective one it is too! Perhaps animal noises in increasing order of ferocity and size, from (say) Mildly Annoyed Magpie, through to Enraged Tiger?
and that piece of hardware should be activated by the sonar sensors with their 3 meter range. Next time they will look first.

I still think road signs are the answer, you know, like - "Danger - Road" ...
MCSTs are the answer.

Pedestrians stopped by the police - "This is an MCST, Mandatory Common Sense Test". If they fail they are shipped off to work in Parliment House in Canberra for the rest of their life.

On a slightly more serious argument on the same topic, the police regularly fine pedestrians in Sydney CBD for jay walking (using a pedestrian crossing when the red man is showing). Is it really much different?

• Funny
Reactions: Seesaw
My observation over time is the number of idiots that have stepped out in front of my Model S have ALL been distracted.!
Predominantly by music or phone conversations with bud earphones. When you consider the average individual typically runs earphones at between 70DbA and 110DbA levels to exclude outside noise its not surprising that even a throaty V8 at low revs is not not heard at all.
Does anyone know what the stats are for pedestrian collisions in California to date? I wonder what numbers they have so far.?

TesAus: As for MCST,well, thats a novel idea! You realize Canberra isn't big enough for 99.9% of the Australian population.:scared: Yes I am accused of being cynical on the concept of common sense which isn't common at all but then again there are some many examples to reinforce my observations......

Nah...just put the "May contain..." in small print, thus eliminating all usefulness, as it is with all health warnings. Don't wear your ear plugs/head set, turn the volume down and "pray" and don't "pray" to your 'phone is the best advice to most I think :smile:

Egad! Do we want a "nanny car"?

Here's a story:

I was at the lights turning right last week and I heard someone yelling out. It was a car one behind in the left lane who was following me down the road. He kept yelling out but I didn't know what he was on about. When the straight ahead light went green he drove past and yelled to me "You've got no exhaust!" in an oh my gosh it's an emergency sort of way. Looked like the typical Australian redneck :D

Couldn't tell if he was dead serious or just joking with me :confused:

I was at the bank opening a new account for the Telsa Australia Owners Club, and the girl at the bank saw "Tesla" in the name and asked a few questions. I kid you not, this was the exact conversation:

"So are these vintage cars?"
Me... "No, quite the reverse, they are high tech electric cars"
"What do you do if there's an apocalypse and there is no electricity?"
Me... "There won't be any fuel either"
"You can stockpile fuel"
Me... "If there's an apocalypse not having power for my car will be the least of my worries"

Followed by the usual questions about range, performance blah, blah, blah...

Somewhat akin to having a nuclear fall out shelter. The famous episode in Yes Minister where Sir Humphry insists that there be a list of "safe places" (bunkers) and a list of priority people who will go there in case of nuclear holocaust. Hacker says, "What for Humphry? So we can rule over a few rebellious cinders?" Yes, I think we'll have more to worry about than the car's power source. However, given ever-advancing battery technology (on all scales), you can't say that electricity can't be stockpiled either forever and ever, and yes, solar power will still be there if the panels are. Thermal storage is another form of energy storage that's often overlooked as well. But hey, you don't work behind the counter at a bank if you are a solar engineer or a nuclear physicist?!

I was at the bank opening a new account for the Telsa Australia Owners Club, and the girl at the bank saw "Tesla" in the name and asked a few questions. I kid you not, this was the exact conversation:

"So are these vintage cars?"
Me... "No, quite the reverse, they are high tech electric cars"
"What do you do if there's an apocalypse and there is no electricity?"
Me... "There won't be any fuel either"
"You can stockpile fuel"
Me... "If there's an apocalypse not having power for my car will be the least of my worries"

Followed by the usual questions about range, performance blah, blah, blah...
Perhaps she's seen Mad Max a few too many times? Given the short lifespan of fuel sitting in a tank versus your average off-grid home I would have thought this was a no-brainer.