Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress crack in rear windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow-up question: after being initially quoted ~$770 for replacement of the rear window, I was given a second estimate of ~$930. The difference was explained as $150+tax for a replacement brake light, “which the shop foreman wanted to order just in case it was needed.”

There was nothing wrong with the light. Anyone know the issue? Is the light glued to the glass or something, and pulling the old glass destroys the light fixture?

The work’s been done, and I’m to pick up the car today. You guessed it: the light replacement is still in the invoice. I queried, they said it’s a “normal” part of the replacing the rear window glass….

I never had to replace a break light on any car when replacing a back glass. The light should be able to be removed from the old glass and be reinstalled on to the new glass. There are usually 2 fasteners on the glass that the break light slides on to.

Apparently not the case with the Tesla (Model S, at least). The light assembly is glued to the glass. The tech told me that it's very rare to get one off the glass in usable shape (let alone a perfect fit to new glass), and that it's not cost effective to do so anyway (the labor involved exceeds the cost of a new light assy [$150 bucks]).

All of the above represents what I was told, not any sort of personal expertise on the matter.

Huh. The part number I was sold (which I was told I needed, as in my previous post), was:

CENTER HIGH MOUNTED STOP LIGHT ASSEMBLY (6005917-00-F)

I don't have any sort of parts manual to reference. Does that "assembly" include the brackets as separate parts; and can those brackets be ordered separately? I didn't get into the nitty-gritty of exactly what part was glued to the glass, but I was definitely told that the reason I was charged for a new light was as I stated earlier (glued in place, near-impossible to remove & remount).