Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck and Self Opening Door / Service Center Experience Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am cross posting this from my blog in order to get some discussion going on the following questions:

Questions Raised for Discussion:

1. Is your service center overburdened and understaffed?
  2. Would you like to have a non-Tesla brand local garage do your warranty repairs?
  3. Anyone else experiencing this particular door issue?
  4. What do you think the “service” announcement is?

I have had my Model S for two months now and I have been a bit plagued by a somewhat minor problem. On the two Tesla forums on the web there have been several reports of various issues with the retractable door handles. I have experienced a similar but not the same problem. I am hoping it is fixed but am not 100% confident that it is.

About a week after I got the car, I found I simply could not open the passenger door. The door handle appeared but the door was still locked. The door would not open from the outside no matter how much pressure was applied. Although the problem was a bit annoying, it was not a huge problem as the door could be open from the inside.

I emailed Tesla service in Menlo Park to have them look at it.

Time went buy and the problem occurred a total of four times. Three with the passenger door and a fourth time with the rear driver’s side door. The spooky part of this issue is that the doors would self open at a later date! Fortunately, none of these self opening doors occurred in an unsafe location and the car was always parked. Although a door did become stuck at a time when I was showing the Model S to some friends, who are potential future electric car buyers

Eventually I called Tesla Menlo Park again after having too many incidents of this same issue as they had not gotten back to me. I had it in for service and fixed two other minor issues: a small noise in the pano roof and the spot that was on the car at delivery. They replaced the offending door handles, and the machinery in the door.

Surprisingly, the next morning the door handle presented itself without any LED lights and was again stuck. All other incidents the door handles had the LED lights on as far as I can remember. I opened the door from the inside. I did call Menlo Park and they indicated they wished to talk to headquarters that it was perhaps a problem fixed in the software update, which I had not yet received. And they would get back to me.

I have noticed that the door seal of this door has always been a bit tighter than the others. Two weeks later, the problem has not resurfaced and the seal of the door feels more like the other doors.

I have not yet heard back from the service guys but I did receive my software update. I am hoping this problem is truly fixed now with the combination of the new door mechanism and the software update, but I really do not know.

The individuals in Tesla service have all been very nice. They are simply overburdened with work. I am a bit skeptical on the claims of profitability if they do not have enough individuals in the service departments. I do appreciate that if you do call Menlo Park service and they can’t answer, you end up speaking to helpful folks in Fremont.

I would like to see Tesla expand service outside of their own service departments and have authorized service centers throughout the country. I suggested this to my local garage and they are interested. Perhaps this type of program would help everyone?

photo.JPG

I have heard about door handles that open by themselves without the key fob nearby. It's a software issue that Tesla is aware of. The simplest fix (until new software comes through) is to shut off auto-present and auto-lock in the Settings. Although a (slight) pain in the neck to have to manually press your key fob button to lock and unlock your doors, but it should prevent this problem from recurring until the software is squared away.

1. No idea, but I've only brought the car in once (not really for a service/warranty issue) and everything was groovy.

2. I don't want to go to a non-Tesla local garage; the car's simply too new and I'd rather go to the people who know it best--the company that made the car. Check back with me in a few years, maybe. But also, I just paid for several years of service from Tesla, so this question about where to go seems moot to me. Okay, you're talking warranty, not service, but I can't see why go to different places for the two (and perhaps you really do mean both, in which case my previous comment stands). Also, some Model S issues are software-based (like possibly yours), so this wouldn't help with that. But I understand wanting flexibility, or not being near a service area, etc.

3. I have not had this door issue. Actually, I haven't had any real service issues. Sorry for your trouble, though!

4. (yawn) No idea; aren't there threads already devoted to guessing what this will be (if anything)? ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I mean "haven't had any real warranty/service issues."

I have the exact same door problem. Two nights ago, after I've had the car for 6 weeks, the passenger side door handle presented itself with no LED and could not be opened from the outside. I tried rebooting and pulling the fuse but nothing worked. It is still not opening from the outside. I called yesterday morning about getting a service appointment and still have not heard back -- so yes, I think they are overburdened and understaffed. I would much prefer to use TESLA mechanics though while the car is still under warranty.

1. Don't know. Have only been there to pick up the car.

2. No. I always feel that I am getting ripped off unless I personally know the owner.

3. Haven't had any door issues.

4. We'll find out soon enough.

1. If a service center is overburdened I'm quite sure Tesla HQ knows about it and has a plan to fix it when they can.
2. Bad idea.
3. Yes, I believe others have reported it and have also reported it is now fixed just like yours.
4. No reason to speculate, the answer will be forth coming shortly.

1. Busy enough, but no. (Menlo)
2. No thanks.
3. Yes I did, one of the rear doors acted up a couple of times. Made an appointment with Menlo (they needed to order the part) and they replaced the door handle on Thursday. Been fine since then.
4. No idea...

haven't had any door issues, but yes, definitely, service is overburdened. los angeles hasn't gotten back to me after three emails about some things, one of which is a spare umc i ordered at delivery (4 months ago) and still no word. i know they are backordered as so many have failed, but.. jeez.

i recently spoke to service about that and rotating tires and p85 badging, the guy in la said bring it in on good friday am, should be easy enough to throw you right on the lift. i said, do i need an appt?, he said no, should be ok. i got there at 915 friday am and it was a zoo. the bays completely jammed to the rafters, the alley behind the center was chocabloc with shiny telsas. byron was so busy delivering a new one i never even got to speak to him, and jesse was in a car with a customer the entire time as well. i left after 30 mins, which involved getting two other owners to move their cars down the alley so i could back out. literally a parking lot, must've been 40 model s's in that little space. crazy. they need like 4 times the square footage in that service ctr.

while there i noticed, again, as i noticed the last time i was there too, a couple rolling carts full (like 30 on each) of the 12v batts going for recycle. they definitely bought the wrong oem part there in my opinion. or the charging algorithm is for the birds. seems like they're failing like dominoes. better battery, better algorithm. one or both needed asap. silly.

yes, la service is woefully under equipped, both in staff and hours. how can this company not have weekend hours at this point?? are you kidding? there is way too much to do with all the new deliveries on top of all the niggling things that every new car needs. they need a whole second shift, longer hours, and weekends. no doubt in my mind. they just announced a new store in culver city here and all i could think was, who needs a new store?? they're selling like hot cakes, what they need is another couple service centers. but elon has said service is his main priority at this point, i believe him, and he's right, so perhaps we'll feel some positive changes soon...

i have emailed ownership about the under equipped service department situation. not that they don't know that already...

I had issues immediately after picking my car from Fremont. Called service and they informed me that they would put in a claim for me and call me back. It's been about 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them. I have compiled a list of problems that are in need to get repaired. Wishing I could file for lemon and order the car at a later time.

I had issues immediately after picking my car from Fremont. Called service and they informed me that they would put in a claim for me and call me back. It's been about 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them. I have compiled a list of problems that are in need to get repaired. Wishing I could file for lemon and order the car at a later time.

Htsai, Sorry to hear about the issues. This post certainly doesnt inspire confidence, esp. when compared to your excitement at delivery among us 60ers. Have you shared the list of issues anywhere? Im taking delivery on Saturday.

I placed a service request on Friday for voice recognition failure, USB failure, tire pressure system alert alarm, Bluetooth failure. Have not heard from Tesla. Request will be handled out of Rockville. I have Pre-paid plan with unlimited Ranger, but kinda' pointless when they don't call you back. Had to call them again yesterday to add to the list: driver's side door opening spontaneously when placing vehicle in park. When asked when i might hear from someone, he had no idea.

Nothing new here that others haven't experienced, just another brick in the wall, so to speak. Early adopter, trying to be easily adaptable.

Two more weeks have passed and still not a word from Tesla SC.

Do you have the local number of the service center? I hate to say this, but you need to start calling each service center one at a time, working out from the nearest one, until you get an actual person. Once you get one, make it clear (politely) that you are completely ticked off and need service ASAP. They probably won't give you an appointment...

...until you call back again the next morning. And again the next morning. And again the next morning. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. :sigh: