Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in mud...recover from rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so my RWD is stuck in mud and no access to recover from front. How does one recover these from the rear, safely. I assume folks have nosed into snow and needed to be recovered but for the life of me can’t figure out how or why they didn’t put an anchor point on rear.

If it were me I’d probably jack the car up and but some boards under the wheels. I suppose you try a tow strap on the lower suspension arms but who knows.

Good options , however I have no clearance to get a jack underneath and the mud would consume the jack and platform I might be able to get underneath-if I could get anything under.

One thing concerning with tugging from the suspension is strap angle to tow/recovery vehicle and whether the components are strong enough.

Good options , however I have no clearance to get a jack underneath and the mud would consume the jack and platform I might be able to get underneath-if I could get anything under.

One thing concerning with tugging from the suspension is strap angle to tow/recovery vehicle and whether the components are strong enough.
You just need a shovel and a big enough platform for the jack.
Another option is hi-lift jack and the lift mate accessory which allows you to lift the wheel from the side of the car.
A picture would interesting! Maybe wait for the mud to dry out? Whatever you do don’t make any rash desicions. These cars are not cheap to fix!

Get two boards. apply grip tape to one side of each. Line them up against the back of the rear tires (from behind the car), grip-tape-side-up. While protecting the bottom of the bumper cover with towels or something, angle the boards up as much as possible and then use a mallet on the (now in the air) other end to drive them inward and down towards the bottom of the tires to try and get as far down on the tire as possible. Reverse the car.

Last edited:
Nothing that entertaining - car was parked to side of our gravel driveway and left too long after rain and now has no traction. Before it digs itself deeper than the 2 inches of mud I would like to come up with a surgical plan. I’m an avid off-roader and have lots of recovery equipment (except for the hi- lift adapter which I have been eyeing) and experience. Reason I can’t get in front of vehicle is because that part is lower in elevation and super boggy right now. Waiting is an option but rather get it out - my daily driver instead of my land cruiser 9 MPG or coal burning Ford Super Duty. I may just try a 3-way recovery with winch but for now my M3 RWD is a lawn ornament.