Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 2018.49.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 X 75D was on the 2018.49.20 until Saturday when I had a service appointment and they pushed 2019.5.15. If you live near a service center see if they can get you in for several minutes. It actually downloaded in about 20 minutes into my drive home. It was stuck on the Intel 48 when I was in at the start of March for my annual service.

I talked to my local service center about updates recently. They used to have a different philosophy and modus operandi. But now, vehicles are assigned to pools. And SC can only make sure you are up to date with your assigned pool. Getting good wifi access only makes sure that network access isn't a reason that you are not up to date with your pool. The local SC can't re-assign your pool. And apparently Tesla randomly assigns VINs to pools and holds back large portions of the fleet until they are satisfied with newer releases.
Now, there is a big question about whether or not you *want* to have newer firmware. Usually there are good reasons for you not to be running the recent builds. The software between S/X/3 has some differences and right now and active development seems centered around the 3's. They are getting more features, but also more bugs. And then they will backport and sort out the resulting bugs.
The fastest way to get a broad fleet update is to find a security bug. Then they have to push a bug fix on the most stable recent build they can utilize. So maybe if you find such a bug, you can force them to run a fleet wide update. :D

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
I’ve gotten updates on one bar, and on time as well. And it was really one bar because the car took forever to load music. Not sure if “good WiFi” matters as long it’s a stable connection?
I’m guessing it’s just something Tesla can tell customers while they roll out slowly..

OK today was the day - I got the newest update 2019.8.3. And I just left for vacation so I can't try it out for 7 days! UGH!!!

That’s terrific! I’ve been stuck on the same software version and your post gives me hope. Unfortunately for my car, it won’t be on our home WiFi for a little while because it’s stuck in a hospital parking lot. Fortunately though it’s because we are welcoming our little reason for getting 6 seats!

Enjoy your vacation!

That’s terrific! I’ve been stuck on the same software version and your post gives me hope. Unfortunately for my car, it won’t be on our home WiFi for a little while because it’s stuck in a hospital parking lot. Fortunately though it’s because we are welcoming our little reason for getting 6 seats!

Enjoy your vacation!

Congratulations! Same reason we got a 6 seater last year. It's the ultimate baby car :)

FWIW, I'm connected to WiFi and no update notification yet

• Informative
Reactions: shrfu31
Just chatted with online support and all they kept saying is make sure you have good Wifi and wait until it is pushed.

I have a 2018 X100D with AP 2.5.

I noticed this morning when I got into the car that the X was connected to LTE not Wifi like when I parked last night. It also lost the password to the Wifi. I called support thinking the car was having a connection problem and they said that I had a download pending. They couldn't trouble shoot the Wifi until I got home.

At home, I disconnected my powerline adapter with 4 bars that had been working and connected to the main house router with 2 bars. within 10 minutes I had a message on the app that the update was ready to install.

It was 665MB per my router and installed in a little over an hour. 2019.8.3

I guess the online support was right, I needed good Wifi!

Just received the update myself. According to TeslaFi, over 1,100 vehicles received the update today (or close to 20% of their registered fleet).

again, seems to have nothing to do with WiFi strength, connecting to a service center WiFi connection, or whatever other black magic is frequently mentioned. Just seems to be dependent on Tesla adding you to the distribution list, and it still remains unknown what criteria they use for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
During my first few months of ownership, my X only had LTE. The X reported that the Wifi signal in my garage was none, even though my phone seemed to find quite a bit of signal. During that time, I only got one update. My SC said I needed WiFi in my garage to get regular updates.

I added a powerline adapter to get internet out into the garage, then put a WiFi Access Point within 10 feet of my X. It still only reports 2 bars of WiFi signal. As soon as I got 'good' WiFi to the X, I now receive updates every couple weeks, sometimes twice in 1 week (like this week). My SC was clear that I would get updates more often with 'good' WiFi where the car is parked: appears to be true in my case.

you can request a software update from the app, it will schedule an appt which someone will text you saying an update has been pushed to you and cancel the appointment. if you can't receive the update due to bad WIFI then reschedule for them to physically apply it at the SC.