TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sub Zero controls

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Raindog1, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

Does the MS or MX have the controls available to the rear passengers to control their heated seats? Or, is it up to the driver to adjust heat for the rear passengers?

Just curious as I'm thinking of having this as an option.

Thanks.

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The rear seat heaters in my S are controlled from the 17" screen.

3. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Rear heated seats are controlled exclusively by the 17" display. There is no way for the rear 2nd/3rd row passengers to control their own heated seats, nor their HVAC system. That is only able to be controlled by the 1st row occupants.

4. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

As stated earlier the front row is in control! It should be noted that when you turn on any heated seat the setting "persists", this means if you leave the car with the heated seat on the next time you get in the car the same heated seat is on at the setting you left it when the car turned off. Not really an issue for the front row since you have a constant visual reminder (bottom of touchscreen and never goes away) if a rear heated seat is turned on you might not know you left it on until the next time you goto cold weather controls on the touchscreen. It's a nice feature in the winter for the driver (who is always in the car) but could allow you to leave a rear heated seat on for no reason for some time (it's happened to me).

On the flip side the heated steering wheel doesn't "persist", so you have to goto the cold weather controls page every time you'd like the heated steering wheel on ... I find this a tad bit annoying. But this annoyance can help you find a rear seat you accidentally left on so things kind of work out.

• Like x 1
  5. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

Thanks for your input. These are the small details everyone leaves out on their Youtube reviews.... Sounds like something they will need to work on in the future. Nevertheless.... the best car on the market.

• Like x 1
  6. oktane

oktane Active Member

The best ELECTRIC car on the market. I'll give you that.

7. CT200h

CT200h Member

I have never had a Tesla but really prefer a few more control switches.
    For example a heated steering wheel button should be right on the steering wheel!

8. croman

croman Active Member

None of my rear seats persist. I wish they did but they turn off each time the car turns off.

• Like x 3
  9. GasKilla

I'll have to check mine again then, last time this happened I'm sure it was on an older software version

10. GasKilla

I checked and my rear seats no longer persist. I'm guessing that was and 8.0 change. Now if they could get my heated steering wheel to persist that'd be great

11. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

I guess it depends what you mean by 'persist'; do you really want the wheel heating to stay on once the car is warm or do you want it to come back on when you get back into the car? I would want the latter but the former would be unnecessary. Still, anything is possible with software. What would be nice is to be able to turn it on with the app when you pre-heat the car.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

Hopefully with the refresh of the app, they'll eventually enable heated seat (and other) controls. This could allow passengers in the rear to control things themselves. It would be really nice if they could implement this via BlueTooth.

13. GasKilla

I mean turn back on when I get in the car if it was on when the car turned off, just like the front heated seats.

• Like x 1
  14. Yinn

Yinn Member

Do they utilize a weight sensor on the MS? I seem to recall mine staying on as recently as a couple weeks ago.

15. GasKilla

Your steering wheel?

16. Yinn

Yinn Member

Rear heated seats. My steering wheel turns off every time with the car.

17. hill

hill Member

Heated steering wheel in LA? Someone's never had to hold the steering wheel at -16f & touching the steering wheel without their gloves on is painful. Folks in Montana will be pulling out the cargo shorts by the end of march because most of the snow has melted.
    ;)

18. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

The front seats persist, the rear seats do not.

19. croman

croman Active Member

Yes which is less than helpful because the front seats have the buttons on the screen though the driver's seat is always used so it's not bad but I'm not sure why the rear can't be the same since it's buried in the cold weather options. The omission of cold weather prep from the app is also frustrating.

20. TR5642

TR5642 Member

I think rear persistence changed recently.