Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub Zero package worth it in North California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
again it's me, the always hesitating guy.

My daily drive is at bay area. I don't really think I need a sub zero package.
For the cold steering wheel, I can covered it with a $30 fake-leather cover. (I won't forget one night in Jan 2011 I parked my Corolla outside overnight and the next day I just couldn't hold the wheel. My left hand and right hand held it in turn every 30 seconds for driving).

But do you think I actually need the sub zero package if I want to go skiing during the winter? I spend so much on the car and I want to utilized it (and the unlimited super charge) as much as possible in its life span.
I think I can pre-heat the whole cabin with my phone APP 10 min before I enter the car?

What do you say according to your experience?

You can preheat the car with the app. Its awesome.

If I was only going to be in extreme cold conditions occasionally, I would probably just invest in a nice set of driving gloves to keep in your glovebox. Then you won't have any trouble handling the cold steering wheel.

I don't really think I need a sub zero package.... What do you say according to your experience?
I love the cold weather package. My rear seat passengers appreciate the heated seats. They use less energy than heating the cabin. When I take my car to Tahoe it's a very good thing to have. I don't have the heated steering wheel as my car was built in 2014, a few months before it was added.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla without it.

The sub zero package is similar to how I explain my ownership of an apple watch to people when they ask me about it, especially when it was first released and it goes something like this...

If you don't have one, you aren't really missing anything as you live day to day without it. However, if someone gave you one for a weekend and you had to give it back, you probably wouldn't want to. I look at my sub zero the same way and that is now that I have it and that I have used it frequently, I know that it's there and I wouldn't want this feature to magically disappear. If I had to go back and order my car all over again, there's no question or hesitation that I would include it again.

I look at it like this.... what does SZ cost these days like $1K? I spent $157K for my P100D and SZ was .06% of the overall cost of the car. If .06% was a deal breaker, I probably should have been looking at a more affordable vehicle. No brainer!

No, my reply isn't intended to be a flame or an insult it's simply my reasoning and justification for a "nice to have" option. :)

Last edited: