Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was talking with a co-worker who has a Model 3, and he was telling me that his bass rattled his entire car. I wanted to put that to the test, so we went to his car, put on Five For Fighting Superman, and within the first 30 seconds, there are 2 deep, long bass notes that with any kind of good subwoofer system will rattle the walls. It got to those notes, and we both could barely hear and definitely could not feel them. He was shocked. We then threw on Krewella - Live for the Night - which also has a big bass drop near the beginning of the song - and the same result.

I then told him to pull up "Bass for Bassheadz" from YouTube (the one with the blue cover), and told him to start at the 2 minute mark. In my experience, playing that album almost forces the subwoofer to come out of a deep slumber, and sure enough, just like my car, it was OBVIOUS that the car had a subwoofer, and the entire thing shook. It was a clear/obvious difference of when it was working vs not working at all. I verified that he did have his settings set at 7.5 for the bass, and he agreed that after hearing the bass song and what it did vs songs that had typically big bass drops that seemed non-existent, there definitely seems to be a problem of the bass being neutered in specific situations. In other words, I converted somebody who was very confident the bass was amazing into somebody who realized that the sub didn't seem to be performing as a sub should.

I did this exact same test with a different coworker as well, and we had the exact same results. Bass was great for bass-specific designed songs (bass for bassheadz), but when playing typical music, even with big bass hits, outside of the front speakers that DO have decent bass, the sub didn't seem to exist.

My challenge to somebody who says their subwoofer works as expected - play Five For Fighting - Superman, on your home theater system, assuming you have a good sub, and listen to how hard the first bass notes hit within the first 30ish seconds of the song. Then do the same test in the Model 3. Can you get a reasonable/similar effect? For 3 Model 3s I've tested so far, it isn't even remotely similar (aka in the Model 3, you can barely even hear/know there is a big bass note dropping).

To follow-up on my post... I found other references here about the problem resolving after the car goes, by itself after sitting for a long time, into a deep sleep mode.

I need to get the front glass replaced - rock chips - so I'll ask when I schedule that appointment.

Interesting... mine was just at the SC for a week... I know it had some downtime. Bass sounds better now that I have it back... then again it just got a software update plus I’ve been without it for a while..so who knows.

A very strange thing happened today though. I connected to my phone to listen to music and there was literally no bass. Kicks sounded like tin. I switched back to slacker... same thing. Had to reboot the entertainment system to get it back.

Interesting... mine was just at the SC for a week... I know it had some downtime. Bass sounds better now that I have it back... then again it just got a software update plus I’ve been without it for a while..so who knows.

A very strange thing happened today though. I connected to my phone to listen to music and there was literally no bass. Kicks sounded like tin. I switched back to slacker... same thing. Had to reboot the entertainment system to get it back.
Yep Just posted about this on the firmware thread I've lost my bass twice in 3 days since getting 5.15. Had to reboot the MCU to fix..... VERY noticeable

While at the service Center here in San Diego, found an audio shop that has a nice 10” Low profile sub with a built in 300 watt Amp. For $500.00, he thought that I had driven up in some other Ice car parked right there. Then I hit him with “I have a Tesla” he jumped and said I have this invoice of a guy with a Telsa waiting for a back order Sub & Amp, his is $1700.00 LoL

Will go pay them a visit once I leave this Service Center. If I go with it, will post pictures of it, the whole low profile enclosure with the Built in Amp fits right into the cubby hole in the trunk space.

By the way, the T-Sportline speaker upgrade and added Sub with the 900 watt Amp they want $6500.00 plus 5 days to install it. This is the one they posted on the YouTube with the high end speakers they call Focal.

Fred

While at the service Center here in San Diego, found an audio shop that has a nice 10” Low profile sub with a built in 300 watt Amp. For $500.00, he thought that I had driven up in some other Ice car parked right there. Then I hit him with “I have a Tesla” he jumped and said I have this invoice of a guy with a Telsa waiting for a back order Sub & Amp, his is $1700.00 LoL

Will go pay them a visit once I leave this Service Center. If I go with it, will post pictures of it, the whole low profile enclosure with the Built in Amp fits right into the cubby hole in the trunk space.

By the way, the T-Sportline speaker upgrade and added Sub with the 900 watt Amp they want $6500.00 plus 5 days to install it. This is the one they posted on the YouTube with the high end speakers they call Focal.

Fred
Subbing for pics and specs. Made a thread in the User Interface section asking people on sub setups as well, hoping this is my solution too lol.

There has been a known issue with bass dropping out randomly for some folks and not others for like ever since V9 was introduced. Rebooting works for some and not others. I would not do any hardware upgrades until it gets sorted out. I personally never had the issue and have zero temptation to increase the bass.

Fred

Also interested in this outcome. San Diego is not too far of a drive from Irvine.

Here are some older photos but you get the idea.
H7zauF3xeKPjcJLKHneI3VEOKTJNxN78riGWhGo3Tbo2MVIRcD7ufzHdynoPK1jJk_1nJxJqn7pcMgPh2NVdI9m2Bu5adgMLahF5TNmvNmVqtlzw5eRGxbWTC5Clsjn9B4hfH3z9tDWDQRwmk50u8DTdbmyvLdSuLX0YDq5SeKK7Zv3KeiQBt_Czkk0g9qdAL3br9u3k5wjSfEz5QLmM9HXJXSK1PffWoH41CubDiYociaq_BTkr5unUuodUzXO0cKYPJZNgZfgWhrrOxw_0jCeGdqU7PmgioEgwnKNsCs2ckhezmd051bt-CYUSj4g9UaciIS8xXRMRvEJ83mDAExUtfe8QYvOSUo1A5UYMTlx9grVp1NpMiJEzQwEkeszsR2rYu0Hgei1dc1ttqnvvQQhrMXnCsCUfUkbR9cAYIW3ijnNA8JRVmHENN2_SB9pJqwaMTMWlBRn1JKQDOLcUPJGtuqBCFEdAF5NkZhYv4pUmvZZ8Sbsn-Z2yuQwSj_cxixG9xYiWEhFCFeiQr6R4cr0c0bCkcHEthi-cggM5BpoiZqjsTvH6UE4Xh7JPvsaSW1ec1hIeAqi4p-NiR7U5F-0UhnSmw0Ks-V8XIjJp2Rb-sfGYuNOuLj0qaCQaSZp7r-Se5at1NV3zed6ReUqoTg--s2ohM0o=w1600-h1068-no

GIYge9wn8000CyUxI8yPn6iZAEE3v4hLeHO6uR7T51OF5Iyow4rbKNFiUMWdOZs-OyzGVJv0Pc6i9V8I__m1DfQWKS5YcJfEVKOqhlqQLYSnj-g-ThfxchiipbzgSjFhhndn76BEX82lw1wj4k4q_xe4AY_1uzumQcpErVYt_2qBnhPb1rznPBkvBTWmPDeJyZ8cDtdKA8NPiZ2b48F15oRP0K-ChEGYW3Hi0XuS3hM4bARyKEKE45euyuxr2F97Dle3HU2AJ6Hx_-TBNQmVPzHS6u6ekZsWeNIGgvEd_L3dyudD9LDviFJtq6TO5L0eTYUbC6RuDYG68qjUpWMMFDvOJxgzI9NsZSgsnhnWGR-nIBWO8g6obLLBaScrxJ76F577VfSvp0_e1Jga3bZXLKc4e18iSNIFPR2j0p7SJrYKhj3nOj-Ykyaio3aM-rB3OP75oZiOVv-NLz-765PWL7i1oujIvC0RHWLc8aIvqCJQYmq1J09Eh1lybLQBGujay_dxrq3bYzS9b1lCOeOM6Smh3g1Rb5oz3ugKLlNWl75xcRO8CPUSjbL3IppMXjXvx5rBN0jOY_vqqETOdtd8tu5VX2G6n-z3X9ve8CfhhFcTJLf_88qzFcfcM1WR2HKZ26JAQfVEv6xO2e9V9IAtfAYAsaINkhM=w1600-h1068-no

I was talking with a co-worker who has a Model 3, and he was telling me that his bass rattled his entire car. I wanted to put that to the test, so we went to his car, put on Five For Fighting Superman, and within the first 30 seconds, there are 2 deep, long bass notes that with any kind of good subwoofer system will rattle the walls. It got to those notes, and we both could barely hear and definitely could not feel them. He was shocked. We then threw on Krewella - Live for the Night - which also has a big bass drop near the beginning of the song - and the same result.

I then told him to pull up "Bass for Bassheadz" from YouTube (the one with the blue cover), and told him to start at the 2 minute mark. In my experience, playing that album almost forces the subwoofer to come out of a deep slumber, and sure enough, just like my car, it was OBVIOUS that the car had a subwoofer, and the entire thing shook. It was a clear/obvious difference of when it was working vs not working at all. I verified that he did have his settings set at 7.5 for the bass, and he agreed that after hearing the bass song and what it did vs songs that had typically big bass drops that seemed non-existent, there definitely seems to be a problem of the bass being neutered in specific situations. In other words, I converted somebody who was very confident the bass was amazing into somebody who realized that the sub didn't seem to be performing as a sub should.

I did this exact same test with a different coworker as well, and we had the exact same results. Bass was great for bass-specific designed songs (bass for bassheadz), but when playing typical music, even with big bass hits, outside of the front speakers that DO have decent bass, the sub didn't seem to exist.

My challenge to somebody who says their subwoofer works as expected - play Five For Fighting - Superman, on your home theater system, assuming you have a good sub, and listen to how hard the first bass notes hit within the first 30ish seconds of the song. Then do the same test in the Model 3. Can you get a reasonable/similar effect? For 3 Model 3s I've tested so far, it isn't even remotely similar (aka in the Model 3, you can barely even hear/know there is a big bass note dropping).
I find that the music source makes a big difference in audio quality, especially at the low freq ranges. Streaming audio sounds great. FM not so much. Some tracks just produced to pump the sub. Others not. My sub rocks the car. What’s your source in the car and at home?