Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofers anyone?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with sunroofs, do you really absolutely need to drill the firewall? Is there no other way to feed the cable through?

There really isn't even enough space to fit a drill in there..

No other way around the issue really. You have to drill from the inside out. The firewall is thin and you'll have to cut away some of the insulation.

If you need some guidance, check out the teslatap.com site or fixyourtesla.com if you want the official service manual.

I took delivery on a 2015 S 85D in the latter part of April. I've had 2 quotes for a subwoofer and amp installed. I'm in Maryland. First quote was $4,000 to $4,500 depending on enclosure outside finish, and second quote was $3,200. In both cases, the amp and sub were less than half of the total cost. I had no idea these shops were getting that kind of labor rates. A long time ago, I could get an enclosure made for $400-$500, and an amp installed for $150.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topgun66
I took delivery on a 2015 S 85D in the latter part of April. I've had 2 quotes for a subwoofer and amp installed. I'm in Maryland. First quote was $4,000 to $4,500 depending on enclosure outside finish, and second quote was $3,200. In both cases, the amp and sub were less than half of the total cost. I had no idea these shops were getting that kind of labor rates. A long time ago, I could get an enclosure made for $400-$500, and an amp installed for $150.

In my previous Model S, I went with the NVX Boost system which is designed for the Model S. I got a place to install it for $400, so all together it wasn't a bad deal, and it didn't take up too much space in my hatch.

B.O.O.S.T Series Powered Bass Kit for Tesla Model S

The base was really strong, and amazing.

This is where I got mine, take a look at the first page for pictures. Love how mine turned out. Tesla Model S Subwoofer Enclosure Box | AudioDesigns&CustomGraphics

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
Who installed yours for $400?

It was a stereo shop in Belmont I believe called Car Audio Specialities. That was back in 2016. They even placed the gain knob underneath the left knee panel so it's out of reach and nicely hidden so no one would know any better.

Back then, mine was the 2nd Tesla they had installed the NVX system into. All the parts were included in the box and they used every single one.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/car-audio-specialties-belmont

Does your infotainment screen flicker whwn you blast it? I have the stock HiFi system and my screen flickers when I blast that
I am not sure how the HiFi system draws power from fuse block, does it have its own fuse or does it share the MCU? On aftermarket systems we wire directly to battery post, this helps reduce current draws on internal fused system (its wire is engineered for what the car needs not much more, not just teslas all autos are this way). When you run your power line for any aftermarket amp, you choose the line and fuse for what that system will need to draw as well, with a bit of headroom.

Did you find a better deal? I think both the suggested options are good ones. I came close to getting the Audio Designs box and loading it with my own sub. I ended up opting for a custom box placed in the storage well so I could leave the cubbies open for shopping bags and detailing gear when I’m on a charger. I got a nice JL Audio 10”, a 1100w 5-way amp, bass control knob, and door speaker upgrades all tied in for half the avg of your quotes. Besides the sub, it was a noticeable improvement over stock.

My local shop has done several Tesla’s before. They tapped the power right at the 12v battery and the amp uses line level sensors to power down when not in use. At the “low end” I could have done a prebuilt 8” JL Audio all-in-one for about $850 installed.

Couple folks with UHFS have dropped an 8 inch soundqubed sub into the stock sub box and upgraded with a light harmonic amp.

Very happy with the SoundQubed + LH amp. The amp makes a big difference, my first amp was dead so I ran the SQ + LH speakers with the factory amp for a few months. Swapped in the LH amp and immediately noticed a huge difference in the amount of bass from the sub and speakers.

I have a custom box made that fits a 10 inch infinity kappa perfect in the stock space. Hid a class D (key for range) amp under the box. I also added a kill switch to the remote turn on which I hid under the trunk cover to turn off the sub for longer road trips if it starts effecting range. Though I doubt it will too much, my amp is rated about the same power as the UHFS amp and is more efficient.

Ordered a custom box from a shop in Florida and installed it all myself.

View attachment 388626

What's the name of the shop did you order the custom box from ?

Does anyone on here have aftermarket subwoofers installed?

I'm a big bass head and audiophile. Just got my MS and one of my first ad ons will be an audio upgrade. I'm looking forward to some subs in this. HOwever i want something bigger than the NVX i see so many talking about. Anyone here have a good subwoofer set up? How does it affect range, battery etc? I'd love to see some pics :))
I have a 10 in the factory box with an amp in the frunk.

Be very cautious about connecting the amp 12V lead directly to the Tesla battery. If the Tesla 12V charging circuitry doesn’t “see” the amp current draw, the battery won’t be charged properly and will need premature replacement, resulting in the “12V battery requires service” message. I just went through this with my 2012 Model S, and elected to run my aftermarket sound system on a separate AGM battery instead. Perhaps this is not an issue with the newer S or X (different battery location) or Model 3.

Oliver Barrett
Sunnyvale, CA

Be very cautious about connecting the amp 12V lead directly to the Tesla battery. If the Tesla 12V charging circuitry doesn’t “see” the amp current draw, the battery won’t be charged properly and will need premature replacement, resulting in the “12V battery requires service” message. I just went through this with my 2012 Model S, and elected to run my aftermarket sound system on a separate AGM battery instead. Perhaps this is not an issue with the newer S or X (different battery location) or Model 3.

Oliver Barrett
Sunnyvale, CA
I’ve been running two NVX amps off the 12v on my 2017 (aug 30th build) model S with no issues for two years now, so maybe resolved

The effect on range should be pretty easy to calculate. If your amp draws 500 watts of power, and you manage to run it full blast for an hour, that would be 500 watt hours used. Half of a kilowatt hour used from your battery.

If you get 3-5 miles of range per kilowatt hour, then running your amplifier for an hour will use 1.5 to 2.5 miles of range. That should be an upper limit for an amp that can draw 500 watts of power...you won't generally be running it at max volume/power, and music generally has quiet periods.I

Admittedly, I am simplifying somewhat...I think the power rating on an amp is usually for its output audio power. It can't be 100% efficient, so it can draw more power than that from your car's battery. Also, the added weight can reduce your range a bit. But, since you probably not run at max power / max volume as I said above, I think a couple of miles of range loss per hour of listening is probably a pretty good upper limit...